New member introduction - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

New member introduction

Hi All -

I did some poking around the BB but could not find a forum that screamed "this is the right place for a new member introduction" ... so here goes nothing (Mods: please move the thread if it belongs elsewhere).

My name is Rick and I guess I've been an Alfaholic since high school when I went for a ride in a friend's Spider Veloce (roughly a 1986 vintage example). However I repressed my feelings for many years and many automobiles. I've been looking to add a classic car to my collection and the Duetto has really stolen my heart. I'm currently on the hunt for 'the one'...hopefully a nicely looked after example in SoCal.

I am very impressed with how active the community is and even more so with how helpful folks seem to be. I've spent more time than I care to mention on other car boards ... where it's not always quite so friendly and helpful. A nice change of scenery for sure.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello and thank you. With some luck, I will have a Duetto parked in my garage soon and be able to contribute back to this BB.

All the best,
Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 06:40 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Welcome to the forum. The more the merrior
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 06:46 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Excellent Rick. Good luck on your treasure hunt. The fine comaraderie and gentlemanly demeanor of the AlfaBB is something held very dear, especially for those of us that were in very early in it's inception over 10 years ago. It's nice to know that it's noticed by those new to the BB.

There is literally hundreds of years of experience and advice from our fellow members . . . all there just for the asking.

Welcome!

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S

Last edited by Roadtrip; 07-05-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 07:54 PM

Hi Rick and welcome to the AlfaBB! Do yourself a HUGE favor and read up on Duettos thoroughly before diving in. They are great cars indeed, but even the newest ones are 43 years old. R-U-$-T will be your bigge$t (and mo$t co$tly) ob$tacle. As with other collector cars... buy the nicest one you can afford. Let your head rule your heart and you will be an Alfisti for life! You may want to wait and "shop" for one at next year's national Alfa convention in the SF Bay Area. Cheers!

Gone but not forgotten:
1970 GTV 1750 S2
1967 Giulia Super
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfasrule View Post
Welcome to the forum. The more the merrior
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrip View Post
Excellent Rick. Good luck on your treasure hunt. The fine comaraderie and gentlemanly demeanor of the AlfaBB is something held very dear, especially for those of us that were in very early in it's inception over 10 years ago. It's nice to know that it's noticed by those new to the BB.

There is literally hundreds of years of experience and advice from our fellow members . . . all there just for the asking.

Welcome!
Many thanks! Ok, here's my 1st "Dumb Duetto Question". Was a tonneau cover a factory accessory? Seems a shame to have the little grommets adorning the dash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fangio8c View Post
Hi Rick and welcome to the AlfaBB! Do yourself a HUGE favor and read up on Duettos thoroughly before diving in. They are great cars indeed, but even the newest ones are 43 years old. R-U-$-T will be your bigge$t (and mo$t co$tly) ob$tacle. As with other collector cars... buy the nicest one you can afford. Let your head rule your heart and you will be an Alfisti for life! You may want to wait and "shop" for one at next year's national Alfa convention in the SF Bay Area. Cheers!
Sound advice, thank you! I've done a bunch of reading and research but am obviously 100% wet behind the ears when it comes to Alfas. Hopefully my experience with other Italian cars has taught me a few lessons that cross-over.

In any case, I have a line on a great example which I will be seeing in person tomorrow. PM me if you would like to view 250+ images of it and venture an opinion on it.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Eggo View Post
In any case, I have a line on a great example which I will be seeing in person tomorrow. PM me if you would like to view 250+ images of it and venture an opinion on it.
Post them here if you want so many can help you.

Gone but not forgotten:
1970 GTV 1750 S2
1967 Giulia Super
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 05:32 PM

Welcome aboard. Let me start by saying that Encinitas is one of my favorite cities anywhere. The perfect place to own a convertible, I suspect.

While I never owned a Duetto (only a '88 Spider) - I think the general idea presented above - avoiding rust if possible is probably the most important thing to look at with most old cars.

Past: '88 Spider
Present: '69 GTV, '67 GT Jr.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rloewy View Post
Welcome aboard. Let me start by saying that Encinitas is one of my favorite cities anywhere. The perfect place to own a convertible, I suspect.

While I never owned a Duetto (only a '88 Spider) - I think the general idea presented above - avoiding rust if possible is probably the most important thing to look at with most old cars.
Yeah, Encinitas is probably just about the most excellent place to own a nice car there could possibly be. Totally spoiled here.

PM me if you're ever in town again!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 08:22 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via Yahoo to araknd Send a message via Skype™ to araknd
Welcome to the AlfaBB, Rick. You should be able to find what ever you need here. Also I want to put in a plug for the local Alfa Romeo Owners Club chapter here in San Diego County. You can check out the website at AROCSD.org or our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/153592904679646/. We are always ready to help. Hope to see you on one of our local drives in your new Duetto!

[SIZE="3"][FONT="Palatino Linotype"]Lance
[I]Alfa Romeo Sempre il Primo[/I]
[COLOR="Red"]1982 GTV6 Balocco (Margherita)
2015 Fiat 500 Abarth (Vitaley)
[/COLOR]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Black"]1982 GTV6 (gave his life for Margherita)[/COLOR]
[COLOR="black"]1977 Alfetta Sedan(sold and driven into the ground)[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]1982 Spider Veloce (sold)[/COLOR]
[COLOR="red"]1986 Spider Quadrifolio (sold)[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Green"]1991 164L (transferred to a good home)[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Last edited by araknd; 07-07-2012 at 08:24 AM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by araknd View Post
Welcome to the AlfaBB, Rick. You should be able to find what ever you need here. Also I want to put in a plug for the local Alfa Romeo Owners Club chapter here in San Diego County. You can check out the website at AROCSD.org or our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/153592904679646/. We are always ready to help. Hope to see you on one of our local drives in your new Duetto!
Hi Lance,

We actually met a couple weeks ago. I was the one chasing you down Highland Valley Road in a F355 GTS.

I was very impressed with how Margherita handled herself!

:-)

Rick
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 09:52 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via Yahoo to araknd Send a message via Skype™ to araknd
Oh, OK. We will have to do it again! Will have to make sure that we find you the right Duetto. Looking for a 66/67 or 69 or does it matter?

[SIZE="3"][FONT="Palatino Linotype"]Lance
[I]Alfa Romeo Sempre il Primo[/I]
[COLOR="Red"]1982 GTV6 Balocco (Margherita)
2015 Fiat 500 Abarth (Vitaley)
[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Black"]1982 GTV6 (gave his life for Margherita)[/COLOR]
[COLOR="black"]1977 Alfetta Sedan(sold and driven into the ground)[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]1982 Spider Veloce (sold)[/COLOR]
[COLOR="red"]1986 Spider Quadrifolio (sold)[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Green"]1991 164L (transferred to a good home)[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Last edited by araknd; 07-07-2012 at 01:43 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode