The Six Laws of Italian Sports Cars - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 03:18 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Law 2 in application

2) THE LAW OF NON-FUNCTIONAL APPARATUS
“All Italian Sports Cars, regardless of age, shall have at least one system or component which does not work, and cannot be repaired. Such a part shall never be mentioned in the Official Shop Manual, although there may be an out-of-focus picture shown.” It goes without saying that such parts should never under any circumstances be removed, lest the natural balance of the car be upset.

In my case, Law 2 seems best personified by the Brico lighter. I’ve had three Spiders with a Brico; two 71’s and a 74. In none of them has the Brico worked. The 74 was my first S2 purchased in 77, used, from an Alfa dealer. I told the salesman that he had to fix the lighter or I wouldn’t buy the car. I smoked in those days, and I knew a weird Italian part when I saw one. When I picked up the car, the salesman said, “I thought you were being silly but that **** lighter cost $19! (According to the CPI inflation calculator that’s about $75 today). The lighter worked for about 2 months.

I think you can buy a replacement today ....for about $190...but I don’t smoke anymore and besides it’ll only last two months. They’re freaking beautiful and a fascinating bit of Italian design, but.... I fell blessed that my biggest weird Italian-design problem is a cigarette lighter. I am sure I’m going to be sorry I said that out loud.

Name:  952F09EF-5C7F-4AE6-B1FF-E7A0673C8803.jpeg
Views: 51
Size:  35.3 KB
Alfissimo Int. and Calguy 17 like this.

71 Spider

Last edited by Lokki; 05-14-2019 at 03:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 04:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to Calguy 17
Lokki....love the lighter story. One of my (now) old girlfriends was a smoker. I bought my 1976 Alfetta GT new in 1977 during a major sales promotion here in California. That lighter NEVER worked from the start. She would place her cigarette in..pushed the ring.... and NOTHING. She was pi***ed but finally helped her stop smoking !!!! I never got it repaired under warranty as it didn't matter....I was never a smoker.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:31 PM
Gold Subscriber

It is a clever list and fun to read.
I had Alfas as Daily Drivers from 1965 to 1998.
Included a lot of road driving and some "Marathon" trips. Winnipeg to Alta Utah for some Deep Powder.
Whether in the city or highway got stranded once.
In my first Giulia Super in driving from Sun Valley Idaho to Alta.
There was a ground blizzard blowing and with the coil up front and facing forward fine snow packed in --shorting it out.
A big pickup truck with a short rope towed me to Shoshone some 30 miles, in the dark with the storm still blowing.
Most difficult drive ever!!!
The storm put more than a foot of the good stuff at Alta.

Bob,
Avatar is the 68 Super, bought new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 02:12 AM

I had a Brico lighter in my '64 Sprint GT. Law 2A : the obscure part will work perfectly but not as intended. In my case, the Brico would smoke my cigarette for me. I rarely got more than half the stogie with the rest smoking merrily away in the pit... and they were small poverty cigs as well. My Brico never failed and cut my smoking by half. Alfas like Embassy filter.
Nick
Lokki likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode