Volkswagen wants Alfa Romeo, but Fiat doesn't want to sell - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 266 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Volkswagen wants Alfa Romeo, but Fiat doesn't want to sell

In AW today:

Volkswagen wants Alfa Romeo, but Fiat doesn't want to sell

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Maintenance Sticky:

Alfa Semi-Daily driver: USA model - BB2 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO [U]

[U] BB1 1991 164L w/S engine and A/T now excess to inventory [U]

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 266 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 09:05 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

A couple of interesting quotes from that AW article:

Quote:
"VW might look at Alfa and see a brand that it could transform into something successful. The technological links and scale benefits are clear--Alfas are all front-wheel-drive, transverse-engine cars," he wrote, adding an Alfa MiTo or Giuletta could be built on a VW Polo and Golf platform."
Great, now Alfa is thought of as an all front-wheel drive brand.

Quote:
"It's pretty simple in our view--VW could kill the Seat brand and re-launch it as Alfa."
Greater still - VW will create the next generation of Alfas by badge-engineering Seats.

Quote:
Marchionne said then that he wants to transform Alfa into a “full-line premium carmaker” selling 500,000 units in 2014, up from 102,000 last year, helped by six new model launches.
Hmm, "full-line premium" doesn't sound like "sporty" to me. "Full-line premium" sounds sort of Cadillac-like.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 08-23-2010 at 09:09 AM.
post #3 of 266 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 09:34 AM

Garage
Look, lets face facts... Alfa as we knew it here in the states is DEAD... Even Alfa as it was known in Europe... IS DEAD....

It is a dying brand.... IMHO... the only car that has been made by them in 20 years that even Eeks out what I think an Alfa should be is the 8C Comp. But that isnt really an obtainable car for the masses.

Personally I would rather see Alfa go to someone who has plans to do something with it... than watch it slowly produce mediocre cars, and fall into oblivion.

Not all change is good... but not all change is bad either.... VW is one of the most successful automakers of multi branding in the world... One nice thing about them is that when you look at their cars... each one is exactly what it is supposed to be... VWs are VWs, Audi's are Audi's etc... they make each car to the best of its market without trying to down play one at the expense of the other.

Would I like to see a rear-drive alfa again... Sure.... would I like to see maybe more 4WD alfas ... Absolutely... But Alfa has been largely a FWD platform for 20 years now... and it is what it is...

The 164 is FWD, and it is still an amazing car.... for what it is. Again IMHO daily cars should either be FWD or 4WD... they are just better in inclement weather... For sports cars like a spider... I would certainly hope that it was RWD.... or 4WD.

But this is all academic until some money changes hands... Alfas havent been sold in the USA in 16 years.... and quite frankly, I want to see something new. So who ever can get it to me... WINS in my book.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 266 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 10:16 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Zagato_Olaf
Alfa sold 22.000 Giulietta's in 3 months in Italy

Hello members,

Could it be that Marchionne is waiting to get a better deal? Alfa sold 22.000 Giulietta's in 3 months in Italy and the journalists here in Holland are enthousiastic about the car and it's potential. Furthermore, the new Giulia (the follow up of the 159) is coming and expectations are high.

Ciao, Olaf

Olaf Roeten a.k.a. Zagato_Olaf, Bussum, The Netherlands
post #5 of 266 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 01:01 PM

Whaddyaknow. Another doom-and-gloom Alfa thread. Wake me up when the majority of posts mention why someone wants an Alfa Romeo instead of why it makes them cry.

(cue the anecdotes of current model lineup suckage)
post #6 of 266 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 02:58 PM

Look on the bright side, people. VW just bought Italdesign and this would be a sure-fire way to get another round of Giugiaro-designed Alfas.
post #7 of 266 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 03:39 PM

Garage
I would rather see the name Alfa Romeo put to rest, buried, ashes in an urn, rather than see it turned into a German brand.
Allow me my memories.
Please

Ciao tutti

93 Spider (red)
87 Milano (not red)
post #8 of 266 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 04:02 PM

Garage
Now I'm really pissed!

Howdy Doody died.
Attached Images

Ciao tutti

93 Spider (red)
87 Milano (not red)
post #9 of 266 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 04:03 PM

Alfa in Europe is not dead!

[I]Regards Keith, GTJ Twin Spark[/I]
post #10 of 266 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 07:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
...Hmm, "full-line premium" doesn't sound like "sporty" to me. "Full-line premium" sounds sort of Cadillac-like.
Pfffft! Premium!

I want to see Alfas, BMWs, and Mazdas way up in each other's **** on race track.

Won't ever happen, but wouldn't that be cool?!?! Veedub might could make that happen. But I suppose Marchionne will want to do anything he can to save his *** from a fate worse than death if he lose Alfa to Germany!

Larry and Belinda Smith
Emory, TX
Director, Alabama Branch, Scuderia Non Originale
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Help for the Confused and Incorrect since 2009
Legion President of The Confused and Incorrect
post #11 of 266 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 07:21 PM

Garage
There could be worse fates. BMW bought the Mini brand and has been reasonably successful with basically ONE car. It is a FWD platform, but at least it appears to be viable now. You never know, VW might do something worthwhile with Alfa. It would make sense for them to differentiate the brand down an *affordable* sporty dimension. That's probably just wishful thinking though. It would be sad if it just became a marketing platform for Seat. No matter how you look at it though, Alfa is not the same company that gave birth my dad's little Giulia Sprint GT way back when.

https://pnwhpde.wordpress.com/track-day-info/
post #12 of 266 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 11:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4jones View Post
No matter how you look at it though, Alfa is not the same company that gave birth my dad's little Giulia Sprint GT way back when.
How many companies are like they once were? Very few, I imagine. Alfa was a company run by passionate enthusiasts, and there was an unbroken chain of impassioned engineers from Merosi and Jano all the way through to Satta, Busso, Colombo, etc., unfortunately working sometimes without regard to whether they were making a profit, or even losing money on each car as with the Milano. Then they'd hire the stylists to clothe the car. Now they--and most companies--are run by marketers and bean counters that value branding and image without much thought to substance, and are concerned with making profits, unfortunately sometimes without regard to how they're making the car. I suspect that they now hire the stylists first to create a look, and then stuff a car inside. I think a lot of what made Alfa what they were was letting the engineers call the shots.

I wonder if Marchionne's reluctance to sell Alfa to VW might have less to do with having a vision for Alfa and more to do with not wanting Alfa as a competitor.

[FONT="Century Gothic"][B]Bob Farace[/B]
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]1971 Alfa Romeo 1750 Spider Veloce[/COLOR]
[I]Director, Connecticut branch, Scuderia Non Originale[/I][/FONT]
post #13 of 266 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 11:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to Kendrick
Well, the article says that Fiat has no interest in selling AR to VW anyways!

To be brutally honest, if anything i'd rather have it sold to those Volkswagen CEO's in Germany rather than have it bought by India or China, like what happened with Jaguar and LandRover being sold to TATA Motor Corps.

Kendrick
2007 Toyota Corolla LE
post #14 of 266 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 05:12 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farace View Post
...I wonder if Marchionne's reluctance to sell Alfa to VW might have less to do with having a vision for Alfa and more to do with not wanting Alfa as a competitor.
That is on the nose, Bob. Both points. Marchionne has no vision for Alfa and sure doesn't want anyone to own it that does have one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendrick View Post
Well, the article says that Fiat has no interest in selling AR to VW anyways!
I believe the very fact that the rumors persist and both parties continue to deny the rumors indicates that a deal to sell Alfa to VW is close to happening, or came very close indeed.

Larry and Belinda Smith
Emory, TX
Director, Alabama Branch, Scuderia Non Originale
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Help for the Confused and Incorrect since 2009
Legion President of The Confused and Incorrect
post #15 of 266 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 08:45 AM

Garage
ALFA in europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmctavish View Post
Alfa in Europe is not dead!
...but is ALFA still alive???
I have to do with this company every day. and specially here in germany we do not see anything positive for the future... NO Spider, NO GT or GTV, NO V6-engine. etc.etc......
Saluti da germania

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode