Brake slave cyclinder front 1958-1961 2000 spider - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 05:37 AM Thread Starter

Brake slave cyclinder front 1958-1961 2000 spider

Hi All, looking to source front brake slave cylinder for a 1958-1961 2000 series 10204 Alfa Spider. There are two cylinders for the two brake shoes in this model. I would expect that they would probably need to be sleeved which I could look after.
Regards Brian.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 09:16 AM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
There are two different versions, often referred to as the early, manually adjusted type vs the later auto adjusting type. I have seen both versions offered by OKP at various times. They are not interchangeable.

Which are you seeking?

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
Oops. Add to the "present" list, 10204 01488, 2000 Touring Roadster project

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

G'day DPeterson3, Thank you for your quick response to my post. Well I would think they are manually adjustable as they have shoe adjustable cams on each slave cylinder. I will try and send you a photo as soon as I remember to attach to reply. Excuse my ignorance but OKP is new to me so I will Google it. I guess OKP may have rubber seals to check out as I intend too replace all four wheels. I last did this work in 1973 and sourced components from A.F.R.A. Well have photo via drag and drop on reply so I hope it is attached.

Regards Brian.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 10:31 PM

I have bought 2600 brake parts from OKP which is located in Germany. They also sell 102 Series 2000 parts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 06:35 AM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Based upon your picture, you have the later auto-adjusting brakes. This is indicated by the large hex-head assembly in the brake shoe web.

On the whole, I prefer new cylinders over rebuilt. This is a single circuit brake system, and a single failure anywhere can take you out. More than once I’ve attempted to rebuild a 102 wheel cylinder and had the casting simply fall apart during disassembly. The characteristic appears to be a degree of porosity in the casting which allows corrosion to get started within the metal itself, leading to a sort of biscuit-dough nature. Even slight tapping with a wooden hammer will cause it to shatter.

It is probably not present in all castings, as I’ve rebuilt many others with no problem. Still, when the frequent mission includes climbing and descending the winding road up to Tahoe, new seems like a good choice.

You can send an email to Christian at OKP and tell him you have the late-style brakes. He’ll sort it out. If not, I’ve got a few used and probably rebuildable cores.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Hi Mr DPeterson, Thank you again for your quick reply and knowledge of my type of Front Brake slave cylinder. I will take your advice re OKP and Email them and Attach photo. Glad it came through Ok to you. Your offer of what you consider as cylinders that may survive a stainless steel re- sleeve is appreciated. By the way would the D in Peterson be for Dave. Anyway Dave while I wait for response from OKP I have some safety checks and inspections to be carried out on an Old 2 Litre Motor that has not been started since the mid seventies. Oil has been fed down plug holes and the old girls been turned over by hand along with turning rear wheels whilst in 3rd or 4th gear. I will run a light oil to fire up, 5W -30 under idle and then drain out. I'll remove cam covers and lube cams and plan to run up on stands as I guess the clutch may be a bit sticky at best. So once again that you for your help.

Kind regards Brian.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 11:35 PM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Mi nombre es Don

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

G'day Kuni, Thank you for your assistance and info on OKP. DPeterson, or Don has also recommended your suggestion and I will be sending Christian an Email with attached photo. There was only one leaking front brake cylinder that decided to fail and quite a shame really as I had just replaced the Ferodo Brake shoes. Now, too many years later I'm attempting to get the 2000 series Touring back on the road.

Regards Brian.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode