Wanted: Series 1 parking brake lever - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By not2old4toys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
rsj

Wanted: Series 1 parking brake lever

Anyone have a good used one for a Series 1 Spider?
Mine has cracked and been welded maybe once too many times now.
(Just need the lever - have all the parts from inside)
Thanks!
rsj

1969 1750 Spider (Euro)

Last edited by rsj; 04-14-2019 at 04:05 PM. Reason: clarification of which model
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:55 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I have one, probably a 70s GTV, let me dig out and see if identical.
Andrew
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:19 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
The GTV hand brake is straight whereas the Spider has a bend in it.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:22 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Ah, so it is. Here's what I have.
Question, how do you break on of these?
Andrew
Attached Images

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post
The GTV hand brake is straight whereas the Spider has a bend in it.
I think the bent lever is for standing pedal cars, coupe or spider, and the straight lever is for hanging pedal cars.
Attached Images

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:00 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61SS View Post
I think the bent lever is for standing pedal cars, coupe or spider, and the straight lever is for hanging pedal cars.
That general rule corresponds to my experience. My 105.02 Sprint has a black, bent lever, while my 105.03 Duetto has a chrome, bent lever. However, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that some early hanging pedal cars had bent levers and/or that some late standing pedal had straight.

Here's a shot of the lever I restored for my Duetto (sorry, not for sale). Note that Classic Alfa has replacement black handles that fit well.
Attached Images

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
rsj

I'll take it Jay
I should have mentioned the bend in the lever to differentiate it from GTV versions.
Thanks for the clarification all.

Still hopeful.
rsj
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:50 PM
Platinum Subscriber

So what's different on the cars that GTVs and Berlinas are straight, some Spiders are bent? Seat height? The tunnels are all the same, I believe.
Andrew
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsj View Post
I'll take it Jay
I should have mentioned the bend in the lever to differentiate it from GTV versions.
Thanks for the clarification all.

Still hopeful.
rsj
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
So what's different on the cars that GTVs and Berlinas are straight, some Spiders are bent? Seat height? The tunnels are all the same, I believe.
Andrew
The bend/no bend is not about GTV or Spider, it is about standing pedals or hanging pedals.

Take a look at the pages from the parts book I posted above. It says the bent handle is for GTVs up to SN 1532000 and spiders up to SN 1485000. I don't have the parts manual here at work but those numbers are the same ones the manual uses to split the standing and hanging pedal cars.

Somebody posted on here a while back that attempted to put a straight handle on a Duetto but it did not fit properly. I don't recall who or what the problem was but at the time I was looking for a good handle so I took note of it. My guess is that the hanging pedal/standing pedal break is a good one but I would take the serial numbers stated in the manual as approximate.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 05:50 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Huh, OK, thanks. So straight would work for a hanging pedal Spider then...
Just looked at pics of my 67 GTV, and yes, it's a bent handle.
Andrew
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:10 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61SS View Post
Somebody posted on here a while back that attempted to put a straight handle on a Duetto but it did not fit properly.
That doesn't correspond to my experience. When I first restored my Duetto back in the 1980's I installed a straight parking brake lever (simply because I found one with good chrome and didn't know enough to recognize that it was incorrect). It fit and worked OK, just looked wrong. The photo in post #6 was taken a few years ago when I got around to correcting this flaw.

In comparing the straight and bent levers, they look pretty much alike other than the bend. Only difference I recall is that bracket that bolts to the tunnel for the straight lever has a provision for a switch to light a dash indicator when the brake is on.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:40 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I wonder if it didn't have more to do with the Alfa's with a center console or without. The bend allows the brake to rest flush with the transmission tunnel on non console cars.
Cheers, Jon
radamm likes this.

Present:
1967 Spider
1974 GTV (1969 Tribute)
1993 Spider ( project)
2018 Stelvio
Past:
1964 Giulia Sprint. 1966 Giulietta 101 Sprint
1967 Super 1968 GTV 1974 Berlina
1979 Alfetta Mille Miglia 1987 Milano
Non Alfa:
1953 MGTD 1958 TR3 1962 AH 3000 MKII
1969 AMX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode