Wanted GT Junior Glove box tumbler retainer - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By kengta

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

GT Junior Glove box tumbler retainer

Anyone have a GT Junior glove box tumbler retainer? I have the tumbler, but not the piece that holds it in its place.
The car is a 71 GT junior 1300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 10:18 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
What does it look like? In some cases, it's just a screw.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

That is a great question. I honestly don't know what the original looked like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 07:50 PM

It's usually a small, notched piece of metal. Is there a groove at the back of your tumbler? I had one laying around, can't seem to find it now. Would be easy to make if that's the case. The alternative is a screw at the back of the tumbler that holds the latch mechanism in place.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlivekel View Post
Anyone have a GT Junior glove box tumbler retainer? I have the tumbler, but not the piece that holds it in its place.
The car is a 71 GT junior 1300
How about a picture of what you have sowe daj better understand what you don't have.

Ken
ossodiseppia likes this.

Ken Geiger, Toronto
1965 GTA, RHD, Stradale
ex- 1965 GTA, RHD, Corsa, Trans/Am 66-72
1964 Sprint GT, B-Sedan in 70's
1970 Giulia Super (CDN Spec)
1976 1600 GTj (Italian Spec)
1966 Harley Sprint (Aermacchi) 250
2000 Catalina 320, Hull #765 Northern Dream
2001 BMW Z3 3.0i
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

Here is some pix of what i have.
Attached Images

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 07:40 AM

Garage
Iíve something from 1750 Berlina, see itís the same lock
Attached Images

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjjensen View Post
Iíve something from 1750 Berlina, see itís the same lock

Where exactly does that go?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 05:27 AM

You might have to bite the bullet.. Mine had a homemade brass button and I replaced it with this. The seller might have more. https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alf...n-key-nos.html

I can't recall how the button is held in the housing ... just switched it out and never looked back.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 11:40 AM

Do you see this brass button. Check the possibility that if you insert the tumbler in the correct orientation and then push in that brass button that that will engage the tumbler somehow and keep it from coming out.

Once in I wonder how you would ever get the tumbler out again. So be carefull

Ken
Attached Images

Ken Geiger, Toronto
1965 GTA, RHD, Stradale
2001 BMW Z3 3.0i
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 08:14 AM

@longlivekel, Pretty sure I have those new with the key... send me your email in PM and I will send along a photo of what I have.
RML
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 09:03 AM

Interesting puzzle.. I tripped on the baggy that had the one from my car, I purchase in itly.......The PO turned a new brass button on a lathe and drilled a slotted hole in it and inserted a retainer pin to hold the button in. The slotted hole allowed for him to push it in against the spring. I think the body of the door kept this pin in place. It was a Rube Goldberg deal.

My thinking is mine and yours lost some sort of metal sleeve inside the plastic body as there is no trace of where the lock tumbers would go when they are extended from the neutral position in mine or yours. The rectangular piece in Ken's photo on #10 is probably the retainer fitting in that hole that keeps this unknown sleeve inside the barrel of the housing from coming out .. but it did in your case and mine.. I just think there is a 2 cent piece missing that makes the whole assembly work. My last photo is an example of the lock tumbler sleeve from some other lock application on an Alfa. It's much too stout or your application but you get the idea,..... Also interestin is the spring loaded latch is off-set from dead center.. The makers did that for a reason we will not know.
Attached Images

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 02:10 PM

The Answer

OK I was correct. The brass pin holds the tumbler cylinder in the housing and more.

Here's how it works. The tumbler has a pin on the back side on its circumference.
The tumbler also has a slot in the plastic housing to receive the rectangular brass pin I mentioned above. The plastic housing also has 2 slots in it to receive the lock's pins.

When assembled the brass key holds the plastic tumbler housing in place and provides a key in the slot in the housing so it can move in and out without rotating. When unlocked the pin on the end of the tumbler is at the bottom and engages and pushes the latch. When the tumbler is locked the pin is rotated to the top as the tumbler rotates inside its plastic housing and there is now nothing to push the latch.

first pic the pin
second pic the slot
third pic the lock's pins
fourth pic the latch inside

Also refer to pics in earlier posts.

The next puzzle is how to get the unit apart if need be.
Attached Images

Ken Geiger, Toronto
1965 GTA, RHD, Stradale
2001 BMW Z3 3.0i
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:45 AM

So Longliv, did you get it fixed??

Ciao

Ken

Ken Geiger, Toronto
1965 GTA, RHD, Stradale
2001 BMW Z3 3.0i
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Fixed the issue.
There was a fracture in the housing which caused the locking pin to fall out. The pin was found in the glove box. After using epoxy to seal the fracture and placing the pin back in place, all is working!
Thanks everyone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode