GTV6-MILANO Stay belt Timing Belt Tensioner - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
GTV6-MILANO Stay belt Timing Belt Tensioner

Timing Belt Tensioner Alfa Romeo 2.5 and 3.0L SOHC V6 (All)
Just Released, the new Stay Belt Ultimate Tensioner is a mechanical, semi-fixed timing belt tensioner that maximizes the utilization of newer belt technology and eliminates the shortcomings of both original Alfa Romeo timing belt de-tensioner designs. This design has been rigorously tested on the street and the race track to give you maximum protection against slipped timing belts. Set it and Forget it!
The Stay Belt Ultimate is easy to install, simple to adjust, and fits any 12V (SOHC) V6 engine used in the GTV/6 1981-86, Milano 2.5 and 3.0 1987-89, and 164 (all) 1991-93. Does not fit 24V (DOHC) engines used in 1994-95 164 models. Does not require re-use of any part of the original timing belt de-tensioner.
The Stay Belt Ultimate is manufactured in the USA, Originally designed and used by Tom Zat in IMSA Championship Racing in the USA in the 1980ís. It is Zinc plated for corrosion resistance and is backed by a lifetime warranty against defects in materials and workmanship (including the bearing).
Click on link for more information.

https://www.circletracksupply.com/al...ensioner.html?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 04:43 PM
Platinum Subscriber

I have at least 50K miles on a Tom Zat original and I would never use any other kind of tensioner No worries about inadvertently turning the driveshaft in the wrong direction when lying under the car or rolling backwards in gear or spinning the motor to 7000 rpm.

It is good to see them available again.
HeavyMetalAlfa likes this.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 07:28 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaparticle View Post
It is good to see them available again.
We are happy that this product is being well received. It is a tried-and-true design that is truly the best tensioner option available, but needed some updating. That "updating" turned into a multiple-year R&D and testing project but we are VERY pleased with the end result and the quality of the piece.

FYI - (because we've been asked several times already) this project was undertaken with full consent and approval of Tom Zat/Alfaheaven.

Centerline International - Alfa Romeo Parts & Accessories

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
750-ALFA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 06:01 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Joe- Nice job!

Is the bearing warranted normal wear or just defect? And, is the bearing a common and available size, vice what we have now? I'm sure the V6 community appreciates that Centerline went to the trouble and expense to bring this back to market, considering that there's not a huge demand.

The price ($289 at Centerline) is little less than you can buy, rebuild and retrofit a salvage hydraulic de-tensioner for (IF you can find one now). Do you include installation with it?

https://centerlinealfa.com/catalog/s...belt-tensioner

I revised the guide I wrote to include the availability of the Centerline Staybelt Fixed Tensioner.

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S

Last edited by Roadtrip; 02-22-2019 at 07:12 AM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 07:16 AM

Garage
This is great news... I see it is described as "semi-fixed", so I am wondering if there is any spring compliance at all, or is it set and locked down as it appears to be? I'd be interested in the setup instructions, also.

And BTW, what about the bearing lubricant? Is it as-received from the supplier, or the special grease mentioned in older threads on the tensioner?

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 04:51 PM

FYI - (because we've been asked several times already) this project was undertaken with full consent and approval of Tom Zat/Alfaheaven.[/QUOTE]

This makes me happy. Tom is awesome.
I have run a Zat on the Blue Meanie for over 200K miles with no issue.
Glad to see this, I will buy them. Good original hydraulic ones are getting hard to find,,.

The " Save the Rusty Alfa Society"
43 Alfas at the moment [ I think], I'll be able to tell better when the snow melts
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCab View Post
We are happy that this product is being well received. It is a tried-and-true design that is truly the best tensioner option available, but needed some updating. That "updating" turned into a multiple-year R&D and testing project but we are VERY pleased with the end result and the quality of the piece.

FYI - (because we've been asked several times already) this project was undertaken with full consent and approval of Tom Zat/Alfaheaven.
Joe, exactly how does this tensioner differ from the original ZAT tensioner? I too would be interested in the installation information for this new tensioner and if the bearing is available separately.

Thanks in advance for any helpful information you can provide to us.

George
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 07:42 PM
Supporting Vendor

Thanks to everyone with questions about this product. I have posted answers in the other thread about this product:

Centerline Staybelt Ultimate Timing Belt Tensioner

Centerline International - Alfa Romeo Parts & Accessories

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
750-ALFA
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 10:41 AM

Very interesting! I currently have a mechanical spring-style tensioner on my car, modified by APC, an Alfa shop in Southern California. I cannot remember the details of their modifications, but it's worked fine for me the last 3k miles/3 years.

I also have a rebuilt hydraulic tensioner and an original Zat Staybelt, one of which I was going to use for the next belt change. Perhaps I'll sell those to fund one of these...
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 01:23 PM
Platinum Subscriber

You know that it is big news when there are four different threads on the one product.
AvorioVeloce likes this.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Garage
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 11:15 AM

This is a huge help to lots of Alfisti. Thank you Centerline for undertaking this.

-Rob

Last edited by AvorioVeloce; 03-05-2019 at 11:19 AM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 02:06 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

I end up wondering just how stable/strong that contact between the end of the bolt and the relatively thin arm is. Seems like it could be vulnerable to having the end of the bolt slipping off to one side under load. Might be better if there was a flat angled flange, or better, a tee flange riveted on, for the end of the bolt to rest on, and that the arm material be thicker or flanged it's entire length for better stability. There is room enough.

This doesn't mean the setup hasn't worked as is, but the thinness of the arm, and with the end of the bolt resting on the narrow edge, bothers me a little, perhaps enough to keep me from buying one.

Or, maybe it doesn't make any difference, and I'm being a little conservative. Just used to seeing sturdier components, coming from aerospace components analysis career, lol.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 03-06-2019 at 02:10 PM.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 04:16 PM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberAdministratorSuper Moderator

Garage
The end of the bolt bears on a small shelf. Seems quite sturdy.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 11:20 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I've been using a ZAT style tensioner in endurance racing for 7 years now. It works great. Thermal expansion of the block causes no issues. Belts last a long time.

The technology of timing belt composition and construction has changed enormously in the 35 + years that these cars have been around. The belts can take a great deal more abuse and don't degrade as quickly as the originals. My motors run at crazy speeds and the belts have a tough job with high spring rate valve springs and more aggressive cams.

This works.

Greg

1972 Berlina Vintage Racer, 1987 Milano Platinum (LeMons Car), 1982 GTV6 EP Race Car, 1974 GTV Vintage Race Car, 2012 VW GTI stage II, 1966 Corvette Coupe 327-350, 2007 Triumph T100 Bonneville. Dearly departed: 1971 Fiat 124 Spider, 1983 Saab 900 Turbo, 2004 Saab 9-3 Aero, 1995 BMW 540i Sport, 2014 Audi A4 (swamped)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode