Magneti Marelli Plex 201 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Magneti Marelli Plex 201

UPDATE: THE PLEX SYSTEMS HAVE BEEN SOLD

I have a complete Plex 201 electronic ignition that I purchased new circa 1990 and was not heavily used. I also have a Plex 201 that is missing the heat sink. That too was purchased new by me circa 1990 and not heavily used.

Anyone care to venture an opinion on what these two sets are worth? Both are for sale.

SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD
Attached Images

Gary Williams
Washington State
'67 GTV

Last edited by Gary Williams; 02-02-2019 at 08:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 07:55 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
I've seen really nice used ones go for $400. So, that would be the first one of your pictures. The one in the second picture is missing the coil and module so is worth much less.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the info. I agree the second is worth less. I left the heat sink in my GTV. I always liked the way the coil looked in the engine compartment ... and I was too lazy to take it out before selling the car.

I someone wants one or both, please PM me.

Gary Williams
Washington State
'67 GTV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 05:50 AM
Platinum Subscriber

The distributor can trigger a Crane or MSD CD ignition so that could be a use for the incomplete unit.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 06:32 AM

Garage
Yes, coming to NJ too, can't wait to see it.

1966 GTA replica, 1967 Duetto, 1987 Quadrifoglio
1972, 1973, 1974 Montreal
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicalfas View Post
Yes, coming to NJ too, can't wait to see it.
How did NJ get in the picture?

Gary Williams
Washington State
'67 GTV
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

For some weird reason, I am unable to send private messages through this forum. James2000 and anyone else who is interested in the Plex 201 systems, please contact me directly: [email protected]

SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD

Gary Williams
Washington State
'67 GTV

Last edited by Gary Williams; 02-02-2019 at 08:51 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 10:08 AM

The heat-sinks are (or were still available from vendors). In my opinion (especially since I run one), the 'Plex 201 is pretty much a gold standard for an Alfa inductive ignition systems. The distributor sensors are very robust and can easily handle low resistance coils. The use of the GM trigger mounted on the heatsink was brilliant since the GM 4 pole triggers are about as generic as you can get. Use an aftermarket version like an Accell (just make sure you use a good heat-sink paste underneath the trigger) and you'll have great, rock solid ignition. Little used 'Plex 201s are now very hard to find so I agree $400 sounds about right.

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 10:58 AM
Trained (ex)Professional

1953-2018 RIP

Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Williams View Post
For some weird reason, I am unable to send private messages through this forum.
The same thing happened to me after this sites minor meltdown a few days ago. The simple fix for me was to re-enable the private messaging feature (which had somehow un-enabled itself).
To do this, click on 'User CP' under the 'Tools' dropdown menu. On the left side of the screen, select 'Edit Options' under the 'Settings & Options' banner. Scroll down a bit and see if the 'Enable Private Messaging' box is checked. If it isn't, check it, then scroll to the bottom of the page and click 'Save Changes'.

Jim

Series 2 USA 1750 GTV (in Series 1 European clothing)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Thank for the BB advice, Jim. Private messaging seems to be working now. Thanks also for the pricing info, Jim.

I haven't used either Plex system for the past 20 years. One was stored and one was in my GTV's box of traveling spares. Because I no longer know which is which, I will offer a BB only price of $300 for the full Plex 201 system and $150 for the partial. Buy both for $450 and I'll throw in a NOS distributor cap.

Gary Williams
Washington State
'67 GTV
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 01:09 PM

If anyone is interested in a bit more information about Marelli Plex 201 ignitions this discussion may be helpful.

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/ele...lex-photo.html

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode