For Sale Alfa of Tacoma parts - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Del
Gold Subscriber

Alfa of Tacoma parts

Visited Alfa of Tacoma today to chat with Lino. He is trying to sell his collection of parts from vintage thru the 164, etc. He really wants to sell the part collection en masse but is selling some parts when people call. He has many thousands of dollars worth of parts yet.

I might advise that those who need really old parts from 50s and 60s to esp give him a call, as he did say that he does have some rare parts yet from those Alfas (just sold a NOS Giulietta grill). Sometimes he does sell something on eBay on bid (the grill), but has been reluctant to sell on the BB one piece or so at a time, so much time involved. As I said, he really wants to sell the parts inventory en masse, but... Lol, some el cheapos want them for next to nothing.

Carlo will have his "hobby garage" where he will go when he feels like it. Being maybe their oldest living continual customer, I hope it works out for him, that it will be sort of like his original 60's shop in the first floor of an Italian Truck Farm two story barn south of Seattle. That was fun to visit and chat, and maybe get something done.

I'm making a list of what I'll need in the next couple of years, since he is offering some reductions in costs.
jthames likes this.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 12:07 PM

Garage
Long ago someone told me he and his brother were the Ferrari dealer as well as Alfa, way back in the day before the Capital Hill guys got it. Somewhere near Leschi. Was that an urban legend?

The Tacoma shop was always so fun to visit.

1967 1600 Spider
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Del
Gold Subscriber

No, not a Ferrari dealer. That was Steve Baines (sp) when he started Grand Prix down on Lake Washington at Lakeside. Carlo worked there for a while in the 60s after he moved from the South Seattle Truck Farm location. He also worked at the local BMC dealership in downtown Seattle in the 60s. Steve moved up to Capital Hill, still calling it Grand Prix. Much later the other guys ended up owning it and it became Ferrari of Seattle. Have never gone there for service, and only a very few parts in the old days.

I met Lino when I bought the Sprint GT from Carlo in late 66, Lino looking carefully at my check, lol (I think he had CPA training?). Turns out Lino first worked at Abruzzi Pizza downtown in the mid 60s, where we used to eat some very good pizza before I met him (officially) when buying the car. I don't know how much Lino worked with Carlo before they and Pete Lovely started Alfa of Tacoma in the early 70s (bought a new 75 Alfetta sedan from them there).

Lino told me that he had tried to set the Tacoma dealership up as European style, where they maybe had a car or two in stock, but you ordered one to be picked up later (almost like the built to order Giulias nowadays). Didn't really work, and they decided they didn't want to have a bunch of new unsold cars on hand, so changed the shop to basically just an Alfa Service Center. A hassle maybe because Alfa wanted them to sell cars. Don't know the whole story. It's been a long good run for them though.

Del

Seattle

1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 04-25-2018 at 01:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 01:50 PM

Garage
Good to know, thanks. That's what I remember about it - one new Alfetta and a Spider up front, then the office and shop.

The Ferrari dealer was still Grand Prix when I was there, but they had a couple of GTVs in the service bay and sold factory parts. They liked my Duetto.

I didn't know Pete Lovely was involved, that's cool. The Alfa club got to tour his shop in Fife one time, his Testa Rosa was there.

1967 1600 Spider
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 02:46 PM

I hope Lino is aware that the AROC Convention is in nearby Olympia this August. What a great opportunity for convention participants to purchase hard to find parts they might need near at hand! Also a great opportunity for Lino to do some business during the convention week.

Daniel Romero
'67 Duetto (white w/red)
'02 BMW 330 ci (silver w/black)
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Del
Gold Subscriber

Trust me, he knows. Still, he would rather sell the parts as a total package.
Alfissimo Int. likes this.

Del

Seattle

1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivace View Post
Good to know, thanks. That's what I remember about it - one new Alfetta and a Spider up front, then the office and shop.

The Ferrari dealer was still Grand Prix when I was there, but they had a couple of GTVs in the service bay and sold factory parts. They liked my Duetto.

I didn't know Pete Lovely was involved, that's cool. The Alfa club got to tour his shop in Fife one time, his Testa Rosa was there.
i bought my first alfa there in the early 80's... grand prix was a ferrari/alfa dealership. englishman sid was a great mechanic there. i also bought a juiced up lancia scorpion from another mechanic there which was his personal car. funny thing is when i was working in italy another intern there was his brother!

in fact my boss, peter davis was the head of fiat centro stile, david robertson, head of lancia stile then bertone and two other designers along with me were all from washington state... talk about a small world !

Last edited by davbert; 04-26-2018 at 06:54 AM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 08:58 AM

The small world gets smaller!!--- Peter Davis was my roommate when we were studying design at Art Center in Pasadena. We still stay in touch after all these years. He had been urging me to come visit him in Detroit and join up for the Woodward Avenue Dream Cruise. A couple of years ago, I accepted his invite. At the time, he had a 1961 Cadillac Eldorado convertible and a very tiny 1960's FIAT. Was told the FIAT was there to make the Caddy look even more huge. And the Cadillac's job was to make the FIAT look even tinier. We took the Caddy out for the Dream Cruise. But, his conditions were that I had to dress up like Jackie Kennedy (to keep things 'period correct'), and I'd ride up on the boot with the top down... waving like the Rose Bowl Queen. I replied that I could do that... provided he promised not to drive by any grassy knolls or book depositories.

Both Peter and I were the only Vermont natives at ACCD at the time we were there. If we wanted to talk in code, we only needed to work up an exaggerated Yankee twang. Ayup! We both lived in Burlington, VT before we moved to the left coast. He was attending the University of Vermont. We decided that we might have crossed paths back then. I had given rides up the hill to many late-night student stragglers, and he admitted there was more than one night he had put his thumb out from closing up the taverns. So, maybe?

He did some of his early growing up in Washington State, around Enum Claw. His Dad was a forest ranger, so got shuffled around in transfers before moving to Manchester and Wilmington, Vermont. So I guess we can both claim him as a home boy. For things to get even stranger, we had another roommate from Enum Claw. For most of our time in SoCal, it was Peter Davis, Peter Morris, and Chris Bangle as the 3 Musketeers. Maybe you knew Chris too? As he was the head of ALFA/FIAT Styling before Davis took over. What's your name, so I can let Pete know that the coincidences only get mo' deeper.

I recently met a new friend who grew up just across the fence from Peter's parent's place in Wilmington. He remembered the Davis family clearly, as his Mom and Pete's Dad worked in the same office..

We had a 'Dave Robertson' in our ACCD class too. But not sure it was the same guy?

Cheers,
The other Peter
alfaloco likes this.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Del
Gold Subscriber

Small worlds, indeed. Amazing what comes out of the woodwork. People who know about Alfas always seem to have this network scattered around the world.

Lol, Enumclaw (no space). Don't know where/how that name originated. As with many other names around here, probably an english language version of an indian name, of which we have many.
alfaloco likes this.

Del

Seattle

1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 05:26 AM

Anyone have a contact # for Lino? I called Alfa of Tacoma yesterday and no one I spoke to had ever heard of him? Thanks.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 07:55 AM

Del

We all love finding little NOS bits...but do you honestly think that Lino wants to field calls from BB members on onesie twosie parts requests? I don't know a single shop in general who would want such a thing. I wager NOBODY on the BB is going to buy the parts stash complete so what you've done, by posting he's selling stuff without a list of what's actually available, seems like not so friendly a thing to do. If he did indeed say to do what you've done, I'm surprised.

Sine we are on opinions here - why not be truly helpful and go make a list of the inventory for him? Your postings suggest Lino is a dear friend and you see him or talk to him regularly. You also constantly post on the BB. Seems logical to me to do that. And no, I'm not interested in any parts from Lino.

Rob
Alfas first, then everything else.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 09:06 AM
Gold Subscriber

For what it's worth, I called with some parts requests, and typically repeated said calls
until boredom set in, as clearly there was no interest whatsoever in selling anything.

Someone I know, very serious, went to see him, no show, etc.

Wants too much $$$$.

If someone were to buy lock stock and barrel, it would obviously would be for resale
to make the investment worthwhile. The way things are going, he will sit on his inventory a looooooong time.

Regards, Alberto
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 09:12 AM

Del - I am interested in your parts. Please PM me

Graham
88 Milano Verde, 13 500 Abarth, 04 Used Maserati Coupe GT
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 11:57 PM

Centerline bought the bulk of AoT's inventory.
I was down the other day and picked up a couple NOS duetto bumpers (L read and L front upper piece).
Most of their stuff is gone at this point.
Barn101 likes this.

etip
1969 Spider
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 09:03 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by etip View Post
Centerline bought the bulk of AoT's inventory.
I was down the other day and picked up a couple NOS duetto bumpers (L read and L front upper piece).
Most of their stuff is gone at this point.
Were you driving a green GTV with gold wheels? I was driving by AoT and saw the doors were open, and a GTV drove by and into the garage. I almost stoped, but was on my way to an appointment.

Jim Butler
1978 Spider

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode