Wanted Tool Kit, 1750 GTV - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 02:28 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sRacer View Post
I had great relations with the eBay supplier of these pouches. Even after a few years, yesterday he offered to replace my "undersize" copy.

You might contact him to see if he you can send yours to him and ask if he would duplicate it.

Robert
Can please tell us what's the correct size for these pouches?

Zaza

Current Alfas:

2018 Stelvio Ti Sport
1987 Milano Verde
1970 Euro-spec GTV 1750

Refreshing 1750 GTV
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 02:40 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary K View Post
Papajam

Thanks for the response. I understand that the tools are a bonus item. I did not state my question very well.

Would the toolkit not be awarded full bonus points because of the chrome finish on three of the tools, as long as the bag and everything else is correct with correct finishes?

Thanks again for any input you can give me.

Gary
Hi Gary,
I've judged at 4 or 5 of our national conventions and always the 105/115 cars. If you had a nice canvas bag to go with the nice chromed tools, you would most likely get the full 5 points. It's up to the judges working the show, but I think you are in good shape.
Mike

Mike Macaulay
Seattle

69 Spider
69 GTV
74 GTV
84 Spider Veloce
18 4C Spider
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Mike

thank you for your comments. I have purchased a tool bag from an Ebay vendor. https://www.ebay.com/itm/142071817518?rmvSB=true

It seems to be quite an accurate reproduction. See comparison below of the new tool bag and two original tool kits/bags.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Gary
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 05:01 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Thanks for the measurements!

Zaza

Current Alfas:

2018 Stelvio Ti Sport
1987 Milano Verde
1970 Euro-spec GTV 1750

Refreshing 1750 GTV
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

ZAZA

The measurements are not mine. I found the pictures and stories on the web. Both bags are claimed to be original. The vendor of the bag had the bag with the flowery background on his Ebay ad and I don't remember exactly where the other one came from.

I see you have a 1970 Euro Spec GTV 1750. That's exactly what I have. Mine came from Canada. I would love to compare notes on some engine compartment details with you if you wouldn't mind. My car is an early second series car as the serial number is just a few hundred past the 1375001 break into the second series.

Let me know if you would have interest in sharing information/pictures.

Gary
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 06:40 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
The picture of the bag with the tools and ruler is mine, taken in the nineties. I borrowed the bag to have one made. The one on Ebay is a much better match than the one I had made.

Brian __________________________________

post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Osso

I hope it was alright to use your picture. It helped explain what I was looking for and helped confirm sizing.

Gary
ossodiseppia likes this.
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Tool Kit update.

OK, I received the tool bag from the vendor on Ebay, which is Classic Interiors, Grants Pass Oregon, www.classicinteriorsbystitch.com

It's a beautiful piece and looks to match the pictures of original tool bags that I have found on the web. The only comment is that the bag could be about an inch longer as it's a tight fit for the tire wrench and I was concerned about the sharp end cutting through the bag. I resolved that by putting rubber cap in the bottom of that slot so the pointed end does not interface with the bag. I will mention this to the supplier.

I would endorse the bag completely if anyone else wanted to purchase one. See first two pictures below compared to an original bag, third picture provided by Osso.

Gary
Attached Images

Last edited by Gary K; 03-24-2018 at 10:26 PM.
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary K View Post
Tool Kit update.

OK, I received the tool bag from the vendor on Ebay, which is Classic Interiors, Grants Pass Oregon, www.classicinteriorsbystitch.com

It's a beautiful piece and looks to match the pictures of original tool bags that I have found on the web. The only comment is that the bag could be about an inch longer as it's a tight fit for the tire wrench and I was concerned about the sharp end cutting through the bag. I resolved that by putting rubber cap in the bottom of that slot so the pointed end does not interface with the bag. I will mention this to the supplier.

I would endorse the bag completely if anyone else wanted to purchase one. see first two pictures below compared to an original bag, third picture provided by Osso.

Gary
Gary, there's another thread somewhere on the BB discussing how the tire wrench doesn't fit into some of the bags so you're not alone. If you turn the wrench out instead of in it might not be so prone to poke a hole in the bottom of the bag.
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 08:09 PM

That's exactly the problem I had with the bag I got from him several years ago. I had a long discussion with him that it was - as you found - about an inch too short. Too bad he's not fixed that after several years.

Robert
post #41 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

For Clarification

The picture below is how I solved the fitment problem. The white rubber cap stays nicely in the bottom of the slot for the tire iron, so when the tire iron is inserted it does not make contact with the cloth bag. It's still a tight fit, but the bag closes OK.

One of the problems is that the tire iron with the 22 mm socket has a sharper bend than the socket with the 19 mm socket. The 22 mm tire iron is used on wheel nuts on steel wheels used on cars with hubcaps, hence the tapered end to the iron to be used as a hubcap remover.

The tire iron with the 19 mm socket was used in 2 liter cars with the exposed nuts hence no taper on the end of the iron so if you happen to try to fit this tire iron to the cloth bag it will only fit by turning it around and having the socket face out of the bag as the iron is about an inch longer. Having said this the 2 liter cars came with steel wheels and optional aluminum wheels so there may be two different tire iron sizes, potentially 22mm for the steel wheels and 19 mm for the aluminum wheels.

See the second picture below for a comparison of the two irons. Note the longer 19 mm socket iron has no taper at the end of the iron.

All of this adds to the confusion as to what tire irons go with what bags.

There is a difference of nearly an inch in the overall length of the two irons with the 19 mm one being the longer.

The bag will definitely not close with the 19 mm tire iron which is as it should be as the bag was meant for earlier cars with hubcaps and the attendant 22 mm tire iron.

It is my belief from studying this a lot that the cloth bag should only be used with the 22 mm tire iron. The later small vinyl bags can be used with either tire iron for the 2 liter cars.

Ok, enough already, I didn't mean this to be a dissertation.

Gary
Attached Images

Last edited by Gary K; 03-24-2018 at 11:21 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode