Wanted 1991 S4 Spider Mirrors / Brake Light - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Location: located "almost" at the geographic center of Arizona +/- a few miles
Garage
1991 S4 Spider Mirrors / Brake Light

I am in need of a preferably black, power driver's door mirror. Mine is broken internally and flops. I have L/R but no UP/DOWN.

Also a interior mirror (no light). Something is broken internally and is exceptionally loose.

The rear brake light that mounts on the trunk lid, someone screwed the retaining bolts and I only have one to hold it on. That one bolt is also has screwed up threads. Let me know if you have one, preferably black.

Thank you.

Christopher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.alfadoctor.wordpress.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 12:17 AM

Spider parts.

Hi,

Can you email photos of each?

Thanks,

[email protected]
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 08:21 AM

if stuck, you can get the mirrors new.....they have them again (very dear though!)

as for the rear 3rd brake light, again if no luck finding the alfa part, if you spot an 86-90 Corvette in a junk yard, try grabbing one from there......seems alfa used this GM product anyways!
GM P/n 5974609
Alfa P/n: 96321449

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderserie4 View Post
if stuck, you can get the mirrors new.....they have them again (very dear though!)

as for the rear 3rd brake light, again if no luck finding the alfa part, if you spot an 86-90 Corvette in a junk yard, try grabbing one from there......seems alfa used this GM product anyways!
GM P/n 5974609
Alfa P/n: 96321449
Thank you to all who responded.
I will definitely check out the GM part an see if any salvage yards have one.

I found a new power mirror, took my breath away Where did you find the mirrors?

Christopher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocedoc View Post
Where did you find the mirrors?
In UK or Germany, here for instance alfaholics (needs painting of course)
Series 4 Spider Electric Mirror ? Left

or
OKP Parts and Engineering GmbH

or
CH006 ELECTRIC DOOR MIRROR - LEFT - SERIES 4 SPIDER - Classic Alfa

they all obviously use the same source, cheaper than US, especially as you will also get US prices, less euro taxes (we pay 19% or more on top of everything in europe)

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Mito View Post
Hi,

Can you email photos of each?

Thanks,

[email protected]
I will get these images over to you today. Thank you.

Christopher

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
UPDATE: This is worth reading.
I removed the mirror from inside the car and separated the glass/mirror from the body. The tension on the ball is perfect...like new. The problem lies in the mechanism that flips the mirror from day to night. There is a ridge on one side that rubs on the housing that flips the mirror. The tab is worn off. It is a soft plastic and over time it wears out. The mirror is not the problem. We should have a new part made in 3D plastic to resolve this issue. Save a lot of money on mirrors.

Now on to the outside drivers mirror. The mirror has been messed with before by the PO. After I got the mirror off the car and out into the sunlight I could see some paper stuffed in behind to keep it from flopping. The mirror backing is held in place by snap clips that come loose with gentle prying. There are two long alignment posts and two short posts that go into holes in the part that attaches to the motor fixing plate.

The mirror came off as it was held in place by what appeared to be rubber cement. Under some thin backing paper are 3 screws that hold the mirror motor to the mirror shell. Removing the 3 screws allows the motor to come out. There is a clip that holds the electrical connector to the body. The tabs are weak and will break off that hold it. Once the body was out I could see the issue of the motor. There is no L/R function in the motor itself. The up/down function works. It isn't in the switch as the passenger mirror has full function.

The motor is a round affair with 3 connections. the middle must be a ground and the outside ones are for reversing the motors.

There are no markings on the motor, so that leaves it up to conjecture where to find a replacement. If I had a motor, I could put the mirror back in the car and be done with it. I am wondering if it is a Japanese motor?

Christopher

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 05:10 PM

I have a few motors but they are from S3 alfa's...not sure they are the same but if you email me at [email protected] I will gladly send you pictures...and we can go from there.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 05:19 PM

Garage
Can you post a picture of the motor? I have an s3 motor I would be willing to sell. They might be the same.

Thanks
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipah View Post
Can you post a picture of the motor? I have an s3 motor I would be willing to sell. They might be the same.

Thanks
What is great is to know someone might have what you are looking for. I did a Google image search and the closest I came to the motor is from a Mercedes Benz. I ma not finished searching for a motor for all of us. It usually could be the motor that fails and to find a source would be awesome.

I will get you a photo of the motor. I would imagine the motor/mirror might be the same from earlier years, but who knows when you are dealing with Alfa Romeo stuff.

Christopher

Last edited by velocedoc; 06-02-2016 at 07:11 PM.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipah View Post

Thanks
Here are the requested photos:

Backside

Front side

Side view

front side descriptor

Side view showing pivot and arm -rides in track inside the motor

Christopher

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 05:10 AM

Garage
Looks like they changed it on the S4. S3 motors are completely different. Sorry
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 07:16 AM

Hi
You can buy the motors for the mirror from mr fiat on ebay
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazzo22 View Post
Hi
You can buy the motors for the mirror from mr fiat on ebay
I have been watching Mr. Fiat on Ebay for parts. He has a lot of parts when you start to drill down in his listings. I will check that out. Thank you!

Christopher

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 03:47 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocedoc View Post
I have been watching Mr. Fiat on Ebay for parts. He has a lot of parts when you start to drill down in his listings. I will check that out. Thank you!
I have the same problem with my mirrors, side to side work (sometimes) but no up and down.

If you do end up buying them and installing, could you please document the repair?

Thanks,

Vin

1991 Spider Veloce - Red on Tan - Rosa Bionda
1987 Spider Quadrifoglio - Red on Grey - Rosa - Sold

Honey, this is the last thing I have to do, then I'm finished. It'll just be a minute.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode