Wanted Alfetta GTV OR GTV6 windshield needed - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Alfetta GTV OR GTV6 windshield needed

Looking for an early Alfetta GTV windshield in good shape. Ideally somewhere close to Detroit/ Ohio area where I can pick it up... bought one recently that was shipped and didn't make it in one piece.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 06:21 PM

It looks like new ones maybe coming in to us in/ by February. They are at our vendor and we are trying to add pieces. Send me a pm [email protected]
Richard

Richard Tankel
ProSource Glass International
Tel:877-345-2800 US & Canada
978-975-5400
email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2600touring View Post
. . . Looking for an early Alfetta GTV or GTV6 windshield . .
Well, which is it? The early Alfettas were installed with mastic, the later and GTV6s with gaskets. Their sizes are different . . . but you probably already know this.

Ironically a few years back I picked up an early Alfetta windshield (used) from Windsor, stored it for a couple of years, and eventually gave it away for free when the above difference was noted. Now the windshield in the Alfetta (later-'78) is cracked and needs replacing. These are heavy and expensive to ship. Perhaps, if you do go with Richard, I might too and we can buy two (maybe more anyone?) and have them shipped to CLE, TOL, or DTW as the incremental shipping costs are less.

Just a thought . . .

Gerry

'73 GTV - '78 Alfetta Sprint Veloce - '88 Milano Verde
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 08:45 PM

Gerry/2600 Touring:
I actually had to read over to confirm what we will have. the later rubber gasket type/ GTV6 Coupe windshields will be here with a green tint/ blue shade band in February. We don't have an actual date until we confirm the full stock order. The earlier mastic/ glue in type no luck. We cannot get these.
The glue in version of the Alfetta 4 Dr Sedan windshiels are available if anyone ever needs one. they have been reproduced.
Richard

Richard Tankel
978-975-5400
email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosourceglass View Post
Gerry/2600 Touring:
I actually had to read over to confirm what we will have. the later rubber gasket type/ GTV6 Coupe windshields will be here with a green tint/ blue shade band in February. We don't have an actual date until we confirm the full stock order. The earlier mastic/ glue in type no luck. We cannot get these.
The glue in version of the Alfetta 4 Dr Sedan windshiels are available if anyone ever needs one. they have been reproduced.
Richard
Hi Richard,

If you ever get in any of the later GTV6 windshields (for the rubber gasket style, NOT the mastic w/chrome trim design), in the amber/bronze tint with integral antenna... you can contact me on that.

I believe those may be the hardest to find, but the highest on the "most wanted list". Probably just a pipe dream, but worth getting my name on the waiting list.

Thanks, Peter
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 10:19 AM

Hey Peter, it's been a while. The truth is they could make them that way but since I don't deal direct with the manufacturer for this item and the minimum qty needed I am just happy we can help with any for the gasket type. At least i know these fit from previous experience. Take care

Richard

Richard Tankel
978-975-5400
email:
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 10:46 AM

Hi Richard,

If anyone out there has access to the more rare ALFA glass, that would be you. I was quite happy with the clear tint I got from you a while back... plus the two 164 windshields I added to my order for my friends. Thanks again. Worked out great, since we found a local guy who made regular trips from VT to Boston with his delivery van. We were able to split the reasonable transport price 3 ways, and provided enough pillows and blankets to not have to worry about breakage.

If the bronze glass with integral antennas ever accidentally show up on your loading dock... I'm your man!

Cheers,
Peter
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 10:50 AM

Beggars can't be choosers so I'm glad you will have them available.
Bronze tint is preferred though. Out of curiosity, what would be the minimum quantity? Talking 50s? 100s? 1000s?

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 06:22 AM

My guess is we could get it done for a crate of 25-30 assuming they will want to produce. it is getting harder to find companies that are good that will bother for small run production which is anything i would say less than 100 units.
I think I have been offered some production of interesting Alfa glass which i have to go thru shortly from overseas... thanks

Richard Tankel
978-975-5400
email:
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 07:29 AM

I'm not sure if this will help. I have a full set of bronze glass from a '79. Windshield is gasketed type. $500 for everything. I'm in south Florida though. It's a good time to visit Fort Lauderdale! I agree that it's tough to safely ship these.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 02:22 PM

I would like to visit Fort Lauderdale/ Las Olas Blvd and the beaches but not to pick up any glass!

Richard Tankel
978-975-5400
email:
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 05:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
l really would like to preserve the original appearance of the GTV with the bright trim, but I know it will be easier to find a GTV-6 windshield.

I think the reason it is gone is that the previous owner had a glass guy remove it so the car could be painted, and due to the mastic installation he had a rough time getting it out and broke it accidentally. Its no wonder they changed to the rubber installed style.

I assume the difference is the trim size, right? The bodies are the same, the shape of the glass is the same, so it must just be the way the glass is trimmed and how they are tinted? Therefore, why is it so difficult to get these made?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 06:08 AM

No demand to make the glass. Presently a lot o late 1990's to 2008 and newer car glass is not available. While the older windshields are not difficult to reproduce because hey have no added built in pieces like newer vehicles there is just little demand for small production. Only 1 or 2 of the Chinese manufacturers will even bother with production under 50-100 pieces which is considered small production..

Richard Tankel
978-975-5400
email:
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2600touring View Post
. . . I assume the difference is the trim size, right? The bodies are the same, the shape of the glass is the same, so it must just be the way the glass is trimmed and how they are tinted? . . .
Well I could pull out dimensions that were measured on the early glass before it was given away, if I could find them, but simply IIRC the glue-in glass is about 1/4 inch larger all around. The later glass was made a bit smaller to make room for the gasket within the channel. Tinting? Someone like Jim Tyson and others here would know off-hand. My understanding is that the early glass is tinted green and later (maybe after the Alfetta and early GTV6s) were tinted bronze. Don't think it had anything to do with body color, just across the board. Just an opinion from a failing memory.

2600touring, you are aware that Alfettas came with bright trim with gasketed windshields? It wouldn't be glue-in original but it still looks good IMO and would help retain the OEM look. There is a windshield with trim available on ebay currently. The trim could also be sourced independently as well.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Yes, I've seen that one on ebay... I'm just a long way away from Connecticut, and it's local pick up only.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode