Alfa Romeo Montreal - Gaining recognition - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Alfa Romeo Montreal - Gaining recognition

With the summer just about on us, a number of our Alfa Romeo Montreal's are being presented at various car shows across the country.
1) Karl Robertson's Montreal was at the Eyes On Design at the Edsel Ford Estate and won it's Class for Best 70's Sports Cars.

2) Val Herrera's Alfa Montreal won Best in Alfa Class at the Texas Keels and Wheels Show.

3) Mike Kearns Gold Alfa Montreal won at a Car Show in California.

I would ask all of you with an interest in Alfa Montreal's to post any and all results at car shows, rallies, events, etc., here so we have a larger understanding of the recognition this particular car is slowly gaining.
mtbjeff likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 10:23 AM

I would have thought this car has already gained recognition? Values have quadrupled since the 90ís. What do you want? Really the monteal isnít a good car. Itís like a mirak or a Mexico. Itís just art value.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 10:55 AM

Garage
I took these photos at the San Marino Motor Classic show in Pasadena a few weeks ago

33guana and IRONBLOCK like this.

1971 Alfa Romeo Montreal, 1972 BMW 2002tii Alpina A4S, 1971 Triumph TR6, 1966 Porsche 912
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfettaparts2 View Post
I would have thought this car has already gained recognition? Values have quadrupled since the 90ís. What do you want? Really the monteal isnít a good car. Itís like a mirak or a Mexico. Itís just art value.
How long did you own your Montreal for?

66' Giulia Super, '67 GT Veloce, '72 Montreal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.montreal.alfa-male.com
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa2go View Post
Maybe itís not so much good as gorgeous.
Gabor K. likes this.

Alister
1973 105 GTV (Alfa #6 of 19 owned)
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 06:27 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Brought Da Pumpkin to a car show at Shelburne Museum on fathers day. I was very surprised at the compliments I received.
I allowed people to take pictures of them sitting in the car and over a dozen people took me up on it.
They loved it when I demonstrated the head lights.
They also were shocked that the car was original as it is.
"Who painted this car?"
My reply "ALFA Romeo"
No judging at this event.
I had a Blast!
modena782002 likes this.

AlfasRule!

1972 Montreal (The Pumpkin)
1975 Alfetta Sedan
1975 Alfetta Coupe Race Car
1982 Spider
1984 GTV-6
1984 GTV-6 Verde (GiGi)
1987 Milano (Da NEW Winta Beata)
1987 Milano Verde(Da kREDden Mobile)
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 10:14 AM

In 2018 after 8 years of reconstruction I attended two main shows in Brazil with about 500 cars each one. Only one Montreal in both shows out of 5 cars in Brazil and the only one still using the Spica. Similar interest described by alfasrule because it uniqueness, unicorn. It won prizes in both shows, mainly for the restoration work and originality.
In 2019 the car passed the "black plate" inspection reaching almost 98 points out of 100 - generator and gas pump not original.
IRONBLOCK likes this.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 10:58 AM

Montreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa2go View Post
How many have you worked on?
Aggie57 likes this.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 10:59 AM

Unfortunately the cars have come into hands of people who collect them for increasing resale prices and Exhibitions. They take care of the cars at least.

In the old days these cars were quasi supercars to take to trackdays on Alfa meetings. Seems thats mostly gone and collectors have taken over. Mostly owners point out the car has a near race engine (really?), but then they are not interested in fast driving at all, just show!

My 2 cents.
G.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabor K. View Post
Unfortunately the cars have come into hands of people who collect them for increasing resale prices and Exhibitions. They take care of the cars at least.

In the old days these cars were quasi supercars to take to trackdays on Alfa meetings. Seems thats mostly gone and collectors have taken over. Mostly owners point out the car has a near race engine (really?), but then they are not interested in fast driving at all, just show!

My 2 cents.
G.
The internet has helped these in both recognition and information to help with service and repair. Previously they just got parked when something like the Spica went wrong. More and more are being restored and reconditioned so hopefully when kept in good order they will be enjoyed more. They are no 105 sedan (the best!) but they are a fun tourer on country roads where you donít have to corner too hard! Keep the windows down and enjoy the engine tunes! The Montrealís in our club always do well in the Show n shines etc. Need to get to the bigger shows to increase awareness

66' Giulia Super, '67 GT Veloce, '72 Montreal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.montreal.alfa-male.com
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 12:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfettaparts2 View Post
Really the monteal isnít a good car... Itís just art value.
I agree, the Montreal isn't a good car - I think it is a great car and I have worked on one! Also, there is nothing wrong with the values going up and up; the Montreal is a work of art. I've only had Alfa Romeo cars for 39 years but the Montreal "wins" the 'to drive' coin toss -way more than its fair share of the time; wonder why? Back when I was a Spider only guy (1960's-74) I used to see the Montreal's lined up at the National Convention and thought they were cool. But it wasn't until a nice fellow at the Colorado Convention offered to give me and a large box of Alfa umbrellas, a lift to the airport, that I started to realize how special they were. He got a free Alfa umbrella and I got a Montreal.

Name:  Jessie at PBC.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  154.7 KB

The blue Montreal won 1st Place Alfa Romeo this year at the Atlanta Italian Car Day and in the 2018 Atlanta Concours d' Elegance, it received a Vehicle of Distinction (not extinction Award. Unlike others, the Montreal was driven to both shows.

Mark
Attached Images

alfa2go likes this.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

1974 Alfa Romeo Montreal - Eyes On Design Car Show

Alfa Romeo Montreal at the 2019 Eyes On Design Car Show in Michigan. It won it's Class for 1970' Sports Cars. It had also won it's Class in 2016.
Attached Images

alfa2go and IRONBLOCK like this.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 12:27 PM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Well, a little out of date, but the “Full Monty” took “Best 105” at Concorso in 2015, and was published by Motor Trend as one of the top 20 “Most important” cars at that show. Almost certainly based upon looks, as the motor was as-yet un-rebuilt, and ran poorly.

I hated driving it at first. A wobbly pig. Then, I did the suspension, brakes, wheels, and tires and whoa-baby! A turbo Subaru WRX could out-drag it, but A tight circling freeway entrance ramp would nearly break my neck.

It IS a 105, meaning built to be great.... for a little while. And it was.

Probably best kept as highlights of a collection, by an owner who’ll put 1,000 on it very year. That’ll keep them healthy and happy.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
Oops. Add to the "present" list, 10204 01488, 2000 Touring Roadster project

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 08:06 PM

Garage
That blue one is gorgeous
... and the wheels. I covet those
IRONBLOCK likes this.

'66 1600 Duetto | '73 1600 GTJunior | '03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon | '11 Giulietta QV (wow, revelation) | I really don't need this many Alfa's...
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 02:41 AM

Black Montreal, best of the show. Fame!

It even got fame by participating in an agent movie of "Berlin" under the Cold war.

To be seen from 1.52" actually you dont have to understand the language, because everything said you know from before.

IRONBLOCK likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode