Burman steering box bolts - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ossodiseppia

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 02:00 AM Thread Starter

Burman steering box bolts

I am rebuilding my Burman steering box and I want to replace all bolts to new ones but can’t find the right size and pitch.

Some say that is bsw threads and others unc or unf.

I also need the 3 bigger bolts that is holding the steering box.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Reine Agapuu from Sweden. Alfa Montreal 2.6 V8 -72 = (My Pro Touring project)
Alfa 156 2.0 JTS SW TI -04 = (fun daily driver car)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 04:21 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
The screws on the steering box are not metric. They are in English units. The size is 5/16X18. There are two lengths. I assume you have the old ones so you can measure the length. There is an 8 on the top of the screws, so, I assume they are grade 8.

The screws that hold the box to the chassis are M10X1.25X80. I'm making the assumption they are the same as other 105 cars.
IRONBLOCK likes this.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 05:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post
The screws on the steering box are not metric. They are in English units. The size is 5/16X18. There are two lengths. I assume you have the old ones so you can measure the length. There is an 8 on the top of the screws, so, I assume they are grade 8.

The screws that hold the box to the chassis are M10X1.25X80. I'm making the assumption they are the same as other 105 cars.

Okay they are mixing metric and English units that are a strange approach

That’s why it was so difficult to find info about it.

I used a thread measuring tool for metric and bsw and find m10x1.25mm but also find BSW 1/4-20 thread pitch so that’s why it was confusing

But thanks for clarifying.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 05:34 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportivos View Post
Okay they are mixing metric and English units that are a strange approach

That’s why it was so difficult to find info about it.

I used a thread measuring tool for metric and bsw and find m10x1.25mm but also find BSW 1/4-20 thread pitch so that’s why it was confusing

But thanks for clarifying.

Not strange. The boxes are from an English company. ;-)

Alfa Romeo published a parts catalog of common fasteners. You can download a copy here. This should help with your search for most of the specialized fasteners found on our old cars.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post
Not strange. The boxes are from an English company. ;-)

Alfa Romeo published a parts catalog of common fasteners. You can download a copy here. This should help with your search for most of the specialized fasteners found on our old cars.

Yes I know Burman is a English company but who was making the M10x1.25mm threads in the box
Do Burman send the box to Alfa factory and they doing the M threads
I don’t think we ever going to find that info

But thanks again for the documents about all screws on Alfa classic cars.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 07:03 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
Quote:
Yes I know Burman is a English company but who was making the M10x1.25mm threads in the box
Do Burman send the box to Alfa factory and they doing the M threads
I don’t think we ever going to find that info

But thanks again for the documents about all screws on Alfa classic cars.

You said:

Quote:
Those are metric fasteners supplied to Alfa from Lobo, the original equipment supplier for the screws, washers and nuts. In the picture below, the part number is 2105.02047.
Attached Images

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 01:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
I am rebuilding my Burman steering box and I want to replace all bolts to new ones but can’t find the right size and pitch.

Some say that is bsw threads and others unc or unf.

I would recommend that you get these (improved through) bolts and chassis stiffeners either from 105 Revive or from robo330 (Karl) here on the ABB (also on eBay).

105 Revive

Mark
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRONBLOCK View Post
I would recommend that you get these (improved through) bolts and chassis stiffeners either from 105 Revive or from robo330 (Karl) here on the ABB (also on eBay).

105 Revive

Mark

Thats was my idea so I have now ordered the right bolts and longer so I can use nyloc nuts.

The new updated steering box casting is the last one of a produced batch Giorgio Penatti sold to me and are at the same standard as Alfaholics sells today.

I am not going to use the bolts and reinforcement plates 105revive sell.

I will manufacture the same plates as Alfaholics use for far better stiffness.

https://www.alfaholics.com/race-part...ng-kit-105115/

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 04:36 PM

Hi Sportivos!
I am the guy who makes the Steering Reinforcement Plate Kits and supplies them with Grade 10.9 Bolts. I use these myself as I found that the original LOBO Grade 8 Bolts had bent over the years.
If you want a Kit, I have a couple in Stock. They are made from 4.0mm High Strength Steel Plate and have re-enforcing ribs welded in to make the whole assembly significantly stiffer. It is noticeable when driving the car Before and After. This is not a self advertisement, ask any of a number of fellow Montreal owners their opinion. Good Luck!

Karl Robertson
[email protected]
+1 248 766 9141

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode