Engine conversion thoughts.... - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 05:24 AM Thread Starter

Engine conversion thoughts....

Hi

A new and last project requires a Montreal engine - or at least an 8 cylinder Alfa engine....

Purchased in Rome last year and currently being rebuilt. My engine builder is asking whether I want fuel injection or quadruple Webers...

Some of the other decisions are easier, already converted to twin plug and dry sumped but injection or Webers, leaves me stumped.

Have others gone down this route? And what consequences....

Thanks

Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 05:50 AM
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Montreal Engine Conversions

Quote:
And what consequences....
Many!!

My thread on the Spider conversion pretty much covers it.
Starting on about post 100 and reading newer tells the story. DONE WITH $ Weber DCOE, to reduce height.

Here`s the link:

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spi...effort-10.html
Attached Images

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When you are dead you don`t know it.
Only those around you are distressed.
Same with stupid"

Last edited by Alfar7; 04-13-2019 at 05:54 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

Hi Richard

I think we have been in contact before, but thanks for that link to your thread, a search didn't reveal it!

Interestingly we are going for vertical Webers as in picci. The twin plug heads not yet installed....

It will take some time to read your full thread and absorb the detail of injection vs carbs but a happy read to distract me from FOne...

Richard
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

PS should have added the noise is FANTASTIC....

Richard
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 07:12 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by richards View Post
Some of the other decisions are easier, already converted to twin plug and dry sumped but injection or Webers, leaves me stumped.

Richard
Hi Richard,

Just for the record the Montreal's came with dry sump lubrication. What did that conversion entail?

Also, I suspect there may be negative financial considerations, if or when you attempt to sell the car.

Would you please provide more information about the conversion to twin spark plugs? Mainly, will you be running twin distributors or some other sort of engine management system?

Mark
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:02 PM

If I may ask... what is the output you are looking for? Also if there are some packaging constraints, i.e. height of engine...
If they (Alfa) were able to get 300 + HP out of a 2.0 liter version of the V8, then 300 plus should be achievable from a 2.6 to 3.0 liter. As far as out and out horsepower goes that counts less in my mind than how much Torque is available. Maybe you already have most of the answers, but as I mentioned earlier, what are the parameters required.
I know Richard Jemison has done a great job with his V8 running on Webers. Also the Dry Sump engine was developed to keep the overall height of the engine down, they were looking to race the Type 33. We were fortunate to get the same engine architecture to use in the Montreal...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 06:05 AM Thread Starter

Hi

Regretfully the engine and builder are not close to hand.... So cannot make comment about hp....

Promise to post when completed....

Richard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode