Electrical Issue - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By EdBorto

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Electrical Issue

I'm having some issues with my electrical. Is it possible that the amp meter is fried? I have the wiring diagram and where I used to get running pump and starting etc I get nothing at all now. I did have some smoke from behind the left binnacle but couldnt get the cover off quick enough to diagnose. If the amp meter is fried I'm assuming that could kill all the flow to the rest of the car? I have nothing..no lights etc. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 12:51 PM

Electrical Issue

I am not the right person to answer because my AMP always works well, but considering you are waiting for a response, here is my contribution based on Papajam diagram:
Be sure your #6 fuse on fusebox B is ok and then check if you have +12V to ground in both AMP meter terminals with the ignition switch in start. If you have voltage in both terminals your meter is ok. If you have voltage in the black and nothing in the red, meter coil is open. Disconnecting both wires and with a continuity test you can doublecheck the open condition. Meter coil can be rewired but you need to check the overcurrent source that causes the coil to open before fuse #6 opens. If you have nothing in both wires, you will need to check your black wire all the way down to the starter and ignition switch, including the +battery connection. I will not adopt the old school method of short circuit the AMP meter terminals with a screwdriver to see what happens because it could damage something else.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 04:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdBorto View Post
I am not the right person to answer because my AMP always works well, but considering you are waiting for a response, here is my contribution based on Papajam diagram:

Be sure your #6 fuse on fusebox B is ok and then check if you have +12V to ground in both AMP meter terminals with the ignition switch in start. If you have voltage in both terminals your meter is ok. If you have voltage in the black and nothing in the red, meter coil is open. Disconnecting both wires and with a continuity test you can doublecheck the open condition. Meter coil can be rewired but you need to check the overcurrent source that causes the coil to open before fuse #6 opens. If you have nothing in both wires, you will need to check your black wire all the way down to the starter and ignition switch, including the +battery connection. I will not adopt the old school method of short circuit the AMP meter terminals with a screwdriver to see what happens because it could damage something else.
Thank you. Looks like the amp is shot. I'll be on the hunt for a replacement if anyone has one. It may need to be the whole unit/speedo... Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 05:27 AM

Electrical Issue

On ebay you can find ironblock´s ad at https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alfa-Romeo-...frcectupt=true
IRONBLOCK likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 08:04 AM

www.haeckner-shop.com has replacements ——look into his online shop —-Alfa Montreal Amperemeter —- price on request

Last edited by BKMONTREAL; 03-30-2019 at 02:21 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMONTREAL View Post
www.haeckner-shop.com has replaceplacements ——look into his online shop —-Alfa Montreal Amperemeter —- price on request
Excellent thanks this helps!

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 04:07 PM

just 've recognized that Haeckner homepage has no English version , so please go on as follows :
1.) Online shop
2) Karosserie/body
3) weitere Alfa Klassiker/ more Alfa vintage cars
4) Karosserie Montreal / body Montreal
5) scroll to Instrumente/ instruments
and u will find at least the Amperemeter and or others ;-)

Last edited by BKMONTREAL; 03-30-2019 at 02:25 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMONTREAL View Post
just 've recognized that Haeckner homepage has no English version , so please go on as follows :
1.) Online shop
2) Karosserie/body
3) weitere Alfa Klassiker/ more Alfa vintage cars
4) Karosserie Montreal / body Montreal
5) scroll to Instrumente/ instruments
and u will find at least the Amperemeter and or others ;-)
Thank you this is very helpful!

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:40 PM

Garage
Kevin, you may be able to buy an amp meter from Planet105 on eBay in Australia, too. He's had quite a few NOS gauges but I don't see any now. You can contact him through this link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alfa-Romeo-...wAAOSw4YxanHm1

PM replied to...

Mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode