Wheels expo 67 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

Wheels expo 67

I need to write this while it is fresh in mind. So I apologise if there is already another thread on this issue.

For me, the nicest rims are those showed on the Prototype in Montreal. But originals are nearly impossible to get.

Today I Have been in touch with a manufacturer who can re-produce them. Though there is a minimum order of 5 sets. We have not yet discussed price, but they wont be cheap. My immediate guess is somewhere between 1300 and 2000 EUR pr set.

Anyone here interested ?

One alternative is that I buy 5 sets and sell 4. (Though, its a bit of personal risk and suffer as I must pay in NOK, and the exchange rates are garbage)
davbert likes this.

Owner of 1973 Montreal
Owner of NOS Montreal engine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 06:05 AM Thread Starter

Price update:

Set of 4 wheels: 1644 British Money +VAT and Shipping cost

Owner of 1973 Montreal
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 12:17 PM

If that is 1644 British Pounds, there will be NO VAT because the wheels will be shipped out of the UK.
At current exchange rates that's $2,073 or Euro 1,828. Question is will the manufacturer do the necessary compliance and testing to meet requirements. (In Germany for instance - the TUV).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo330 View Post
If that is 1644 British Pounds, there will be NO VAT because the wheels will be shipped out of the UK.
At current exchange rates that's $2,073 or Euro 1,828. Question is will the manufacturer do the necessary compliance and testing to meet requirements. (In Germany for instance - the TUV).
1) The VAT question is something I won’t mix into. I live within EU myself, and must pay VAT, regardless of the size of the order. Therefore better if we would make individual orders.

2) Deposit required is approx £4000 (dividend between us)

3) ideally we need a original wheel to lend the manufacturer. They can make it by studying pictures, but, it wouldn’t be 100%

4) I did not get a reply regarding TÜV. My guess is that no such paperwork follows. I will check again

Owner of 1973 Montreal
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 03:18 PM

I'd always wanted to take a hand 3d scanner to the museum and give a wheel a quick once over to then take away and refine on the computer. Problem is my trip to the museum is probably at least a decade away...

66' Giulia Super, '67 GT Veloce, '72 Montreal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.montreal.alfa-male.com
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo330 View Post
TUV or at least European UN/ECE 124 certification is required.
CNC made, right? What kind of alloy?
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

I sent off another email today with questions

Owner of 1973 Montreal
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 04:44 AM

Hi,
I am interested.

Thanks
Christopher Loda
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhjelm View Post
I need to write this while it is fresh in mind. So I apologise if there is already another thread on this issue.

For me, the nicest rims are those showed on the Prototype in Montreal. But originals are nearly impossible to get.

Today I Have been in touch with a manufacturer who can re-produce them. Though there is a minimum order of 5 sets. We have not yet discussed price, but they wont be cheap. My immediate guess is somewhere between 1300 and 2000 EUR pr set.

Anyone here interested ?

One alternative is that I buy 5 sets and sell 4. (Though, its a bit of personal risk and suffer as I must pay in NOK, and the exchange rates are garbage)
wonderful! the expo wheels are fantastic, it would great to have them a little wider at 14x7 than the original size. remember the proto was a lighter car with a 4 cylinder nord.

Delta Milano's are close to the 67 expo but are not exactly the same. hard to source though since they arent so common. some details here:

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alf...d-showcar.html

keep us in tune of the developments please..
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

I did not get any reply today.

Owner of 1973 Montreal
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davbert View Post
wonderful! the expo wheels are fantastic, it would great to have them a little wider at 14x7 than the original size. remember the proto was a lighter car with a 4 cylinder nord.

Delta Milano's are close to the 67 expo but are not exactly the same. hard to source though since they arent so common. some details here:

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alf...d-showcar.html

keep us in tune of the developments please..
Will 14,7 fit? Any benefit of the wider rim?

Owner of 1973 Montreal
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhjelm View Post
Will 14,7 fit? Any benefit of the wider rim?
i would think so though i dont have a montreal. a big part of it is the offset. ive seen folks with wider, but suspension stiffness, ride height, camber and tire size plays a role in the fitment.

off the top of my head i recall the stock montes tires were 195 70 14 Michelin xwx. you can find the section width to see if its narrower than the width of the 7x14. keep in mind you need to add a 1/2 or 3/4 inch to the 7 since wheels are measured bead to bead.

contrary what tire companies recommend for wheel widths, you can go wider within reason. Michelin are very conservative on their recommendation for liability reasons. they dont want to be liable for excess curbing damage of your wheels from sidewalks and car washes etc which has no bearing on the performance or safety of the tire. having a narrower wheel inside a tire naturally offers more protection. ive asked Michelin techs this before while they were working on a bespoke tire for us for an unique application.

yes there are benefits with wider rims performance wise. the keep the tire from distorting more under side loads and give better steering responds. 195 70 14 xwx were used on 7.5 x 14 stock front wheels on the lamborghini urraco P300

my 2 cents
cheers
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 08:22 AM

What a xwx looks like on a 7.5x14 urraco wheel.
Attached Images

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Got a reply late today.

1. no problem can work to a picture but a wheel would be best.

2.let me know what they want in size and offsets because when we sort it will be made as a 2 part front cast with the inner bolting on as we do our Dunlop Jaguar type wheels this will allow us to do different widths and offsets.

3. we will supply our documentation regarding the size and offset and max loadings for the wheels as we we do our other wheels as they are all made to comply with T.U.V /BSAU50 and other international standards as we are a T.U.V certified ISO quality standards company as you will see on our website.

They are cast alloy face with our prime alloy flow formed inner rims as we have used for the last 30 years so no problem better than the original wheels where you could not C.N.C this design from billet.

4. if the country is in the E.U they have to pay V.A.T unless they are a company and have a V.A.T number.

If they are outside the E.U then we can sell direct so they don’t get caught up in the V.A.T and Brexit problems.

Owner of 1973 Montreal
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 12:34 PM

Garage
[QUOTE=Dhjelm;8390276]
3) ideally we need a original wheel to lend the manufacturer. They can make it by studying pictures, but, it wouldn’t be 100%]

The wheel which you seek was sold recently at the Bertone factory auction. I don't know who bought this lot of three wheels but I'd be interested in buying the Montreal wheel if anyone knows where it is. Perhaps Bertone retained the rights to the other set of prototype wheels that were taken off the basement Montreal after Expo '67...I doubt that they are 'road worthy', otherwise Alfa would have probably done their testing with these wheels.

Name:  Montreal Prototype Wheel_LI.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  6.1 KB

Mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode