License Plate Light Lens - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

License Plate Light Lens

Dear List,
My Carello license plate light lens's are pretty cooked. I've got a SoCal maker who will gladly make new ones at a pretty low cost, but she needs a good one to make the mold. Who out there among you Montreal owners is a brave and generous soul and would be willing to lend one of your lenses out? Remember that they are riveted to the metal body of the holder. But if yours is already unrivited/ busted out of the rivets, or just hanging out waiting to be reassembled, then this is the time to share life!
Word has it that they are the same as used on the Ferrari 308GT4 Dino and maybe the De Tomaso Pantera.
After a batch is complete, I will offer them to the Montreal group at cost as to thank the Alfa Gods for my good fortune on a certain front turn signal light E-Bay deal a while back.
Volunteers please?

grazie,

John Pergolizzi
San Diego, Ca.
Attached Images

IRONBLOCK likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtperry8sf9 View Post
Dear List,
My Carello license plate light lens's are pretty cooked. I've got a SoCal maker who will gladly make new ones at a pretty low cost, but she needs a good one to make the mold. Who out there among you Montreal owners is a brave and generous soul and would be willing to lend one of your lenses out? Remember that they are riveted to the metal body of the holder. But if yours is already unrivited/ busted out of the rivets, or just hanging out waiting to be reassembled, then this is the time to share life!
Word has it that they are the same as used on the Ferrari 308GT4 Dino and maybe the De Tomaso Pantera.
After a batch is complete, I will offer them to the Montreal group at cost as to thank the Alfa Gods for my good fortune on a certain front turn signal light E-Bay deal a while back.
Volunteers please?

grazie,

John Pergolizzi
San Diego, Ca.
John -

If they're the same as used on the Ferrari 308GT4, it might be cheaper to source the Ferrari part from Eurospares in the UK - even after factoring in shipping to the US. Check out some of the parts diagrams they have for lighting for the 308GT4 Dino (1976 or 1979), e.g. https://www.eurospares.co.uk/parts/f...-gt4-dino-1976. If something appears as though it could work, measure your part in MM, take a few pics including close ups of the Carello numbers and send the info/pics to Eurospares so that they can verify a match, or find a match on your behalf. I'm guessing that even an OEM Ferrari part might be cheaper than having someone make a small batch of reproductions.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Malex,
Thank you for the info!
The part # on the GT4 Dino lens is #20160602/L.
Direct link is:

https://www.eurospares.co.uk/parts/f...326/20160602/L

Without a good closeup, we don't know if the part # actually on the lens is the same as that on the Montreal. At 47.85 Sterling, at todays exchange rate ($1.35 to the pound), were at nearly $65 per. And we still need to add shipping! My U.S supplier quoted me a rate of $30 each and no charge for the mold. And she's Really nice!
Although the U.K. lens is an option, even after sticking on a few bucks for my time ($35 a pop total plus shipping to youse guys), we'll all still be in better shape. And I get to do my part to advance the cause!

best regards,

Johnny Pergolizzi
San Diego
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 04:52 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
I purchased numerous resin lenses for my 69 GTV from a lady in California in the past. I would be more interested in a set if she uses the vacuum degassing method prior to pouring into the mold. This would hopefully eliminate some of the entrapped bubbles that can result as the resin exotherms and cures. Some of the GTV lenses I purchased had quite lot of visible bubbles in them which for the colored lenses is not that big a deal...but for clear lenses might be a more noticeable. That said below is the state of the lenses that came off my car.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 1750 GTV 105.48 (sold), 1972 1300GTJunior (sold)
1969 1750 GTV 105.5 , 1972 Montreal
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 05:21 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Here is the opposite side of the lenses (internal). The PO sure picked some real winners to paint this car...they didn't even bother to mask the lenses before paint (twice...gold and then red)
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Rossano,
So your two lenses are "loanable"?
I've used a type of "plastic safe" paint stripper on various engine bay wires and interior plastic bits w/ good success:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/a...eup367/4402349

And would gladly clean your old ones up before they would go to the lens lady. Or I'll send you some stripper and you go for it!
I do not know the method she uses, but could put you in contact w/ her as you have a deeper understanding of the process then I.

best regards,

Johnny Pergolizzi
San Diego, Ca
Attached Images

Monti77 likes this.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 06:25 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Nice, not familiar with that product....very interesting. Send me the details via a PM...I think we can work something out.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 09:04 AM

Hi,
I am also restoring the number plate lights. I am lucky that my lens are in quite good order, but would like to remove them so I can bead blast the frame as there is corrosion on them. They seem to be held on with hollow rivets, can I ask how you removed yours? and how you intend to re-fix them? I am very nervous of 50 year old glass or what ever it is made from. Also could you tell me the outside diameter of the rivets. Many thanks. BTW my lens looked quite dire but I soaked them in cleaning fluid and they came out quite respectable.
Regards Geoff.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

I'm not sure if the p.m. is working; it doesn't show up in my sent box afterwards. Could you please send me a real p.m. to: [email protected] regarding the lenses.

thanks,

Johnny
San Diego
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 03:47 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtvgeoff View Post
Hi,
I am also restoring the number plate lights. I am lucky that my lens are in quite good order, but would like to remove them so I can bead blast the frame as there is corrosion on them. They seem to be held on with hollow rivets, can I ask how you removed yours? and how you intend to re-fix them? I am very nervous of 50 year old glass or what ever it is made from. Also could you tell me the outside diameter of the rivets. Many thanks. BTW my lens looked quite dire but I soaked them in cleaning fluid and they came out quite respectable.
Regards Geoff.
I drilled them out..carefully....but no matter as the end did break. The lens material is plastic . Now what type of cleaning fluid did you use? I was hesitant to use something too strong that would react or soften the plastic.

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 03:47 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtperry8sf9 View Post
I'm not sure if the p.m. is working; it doesn't show up in my sent box afterwards. Could you please send me a real p.m. to: [email protected] regarding the lenses.

thanks,

Johnny
San Diego
Got the PM....responding now.

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 09:09 AM

Hi
I have attached some pic's for your interest, The cleaner I use is Comma Hyper Clean and I swear by the stuff. The washer bottle was in a bit of a state but you can see the result, I left it soaking for a few days and that's how it came out. I intend to try the radiator expansion tank next.
NOW THE WARNING
The number plate rubber gaskets had gone rock hard I tried to remove them before soaking but they would not budge and I gave up for fear or breaking them so I put the whole light assembly including gaskets in for a nights soak. Next morning I was horrified to see the gaskets had swollen so much that they had detached themselves from the lights and were at least 15% bigger, very floppy and no way could they be reused like that. I washed them in cold water and placed them on a central heating radiator, after an hour I noticed they had started to curl up so I flipped them over, I repeated this many times for twelve hours and to my relief and amazement they returned to the correct size are now soft and ply-able and as good as new. RELIEF!!
I am not going to recommend this method for restoring rubber items, it's on your head be it.
I think as far as the light lens go I will try and (carefully) bend up the rivets. if I am successful I will have away of reattaching them
Regards Geoff
Attached Images

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 09:47 AM

Garage
Looks to be a UK product only, can't find it here in the States.

1966 GTA replica, 1967 Duetto, 1987 Quadrifoglio
1972, 1973, 1974 Montreal
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 08:53 AM

Comma Oil is in may countries but I am not sure on America, kind of surprised if its not.
Its on Ebay UK maybe you could get one of the vendors to send some over Amazon UK too.
Regards Geoff
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 02:42 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
I managed to clean up the lenses by carefully lifting and picking the paint off the surface. I was concerned that if I used strong solvents the plastic would soften and ruin. That the paint was somewhat thick made it easier for a square edged exacto knife blade to get under the paint. Tedious as heck to do, but well worth the effort since a lot more detail in the numbers now exist. Note that on one of the lenses red die within the resin matrix itself is visible...I thought that a little odd.

Next step is to rebuild the broken bits and after that...making of the molds.

Name:  IMG_2221.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  80.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2222.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  81.4 KB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode