3Likes
  • 2 Post By HeavyMetalAlfa
  • 1 Post By IRONBLOCK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Montreal reviewed on Hagerty news

Although it is a short review, it is interesting. I think they are comparing it to a T-33 and being on the same level because of them both having V-8's.
Granted, either is desirable but are they even the same "V-8"?
The article is listed under "Five Concept Cars You Can Own Now" on the Hagerty monthly news web site.

"No chance, no destiny, no fate can circumvent, change or control the firm resolve of a determined soul"

73 Spider
80 BMW e21(Sold, gone to Houston)
79 Spider (sold)
78 Spider (sold, gone to U K)
Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 09:50 PM

Very different, but still related, engines. One Full race, one[ for the Montreal} tamed a bit for the road.
It's a shame Alfa didn't use the V8 in more cars.
I love the GTV8 that were done in Germany with Alfa support, they would have Rocked huge if they built more of those !!
Glad to see Montreal starting to have their day. Glad I got one when I could!
Me and my Monti Rat Rod. }
Attached Images

alfajp and Montikai like this.

The " Save the Rusty Alfa Society"
43 Alfas at the moment [ I think], I'll be able to tell better when the snow melts
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 04:07 AM

Garage
Here is a link to the short article:
https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...rs-you-can-own

I believe that the Montreal has been maligned, especially by Alfesti, since its inception. There were several 'Montreal v. T-33' discussions recorded in the Alfa Owner magazine. The Montreal engine is the closest production engine, to the Tipo 33/2 that Alfa Romeo ever designed. Thirty five years ago, when I first saw a Montreal in the wild, it was notably different from my 1966 Duetto and still seems so much more modern -for only being six years younger.

With its unique 'Miura-esq' Marcello Ghandini Styling and Carlo Chiti of Autodelta (ex Ferrari and ATS) designed V-8, it would seem like a 'lead pipe cinch'. But between the gas crisis, labor unrest and a very slow and difficult gestation period; the Montreal was extremely costly to build and not not very successful as a race car. Nor was the Montreal very fuel efficient, at a time when fuel economy seemed to matter most.

In his excellent book "Alfa Romeo ~Montreal the Essential Companion", Bruce Taylor wrote "The adaptation of the highly tuned (Chiti designed) Autodelta 33/2 engine for the Montreal was directed by Alfa Romeo's Chief Engineer, Orazio Satta, assisted by Giuseppe Busso. To achieve the smoothness and flexibility required of a road car, the displacement of the engine was increased from 1995cc (121.7cu in) to 2593 (158.2cu in), while the compression ratio was reduced from 10.7:1 to 9.0:1. The new engine was somewhat less oversquare, with a bore and stroke of 80 x 64.5mm (3.15 x 2.54in) instead of 78 x 52.2 (3.07 x 2.06in). A flat plane crankshaft is very suitable for a high-revving race engine because of the low inertia of the crankshaft (of the Tipo 33). On the other hand, a V8 with a cross-plane crankshaft (of the Montreal) can achieve near-perfect smoothness if the crankshaft is fully counterbalanced."

He goes on to compare the primitive Lucas fuel injection of the T-33 to the Spica of the Montreal. The dual plug/dual distributor/four coil v. single plug/single distributor/dual Bosch electronic capacitor discharge ignition/dual coil set up of the Montreal. He states that almost no component parts of the original 33/2 motor are in common with the Montreal. "However, the Montreal V8 retained all the excellent design features of the sports prototype, such as the all-alloy construction, sodium-cooled exhaust valves, magnesium sump and cam covers, dry sump lubrication, and mechanical fuel injection."

The Montreal may be more of a comfortable grand touring car but it is a blast to drive!

Mark
Alfaboutvegas likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
so eloquent a reply

"No chance, no destiny, no fate can circumvent, change or control the firm resolve of a determined soul"

73 Spider
80 BMW e21(Sold, gone to Houston)
79 Spider (sold)
78 Spider (sold, gone to U K)
Greg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode