A/C cooling performance - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 05:41 AM

You need to base the amount of refrigerant on the original amount of R12 in the system. For example, R152a in an R12 system. The molecular weight of r152a is only 62% of R12, so you would use only 62% the amount of R152 in an R12 system. But, if you change the condensor, and the volume of the system, you'll be doing some guessing. With R152a in my BMW system, ideal low-side pressure is ~15 psi and high side at ~175 psi. Those pressures are MUCH lower than with R134, and the compressor is working very easily and almost silently. Vent temp is 37F.

Side-tap for R152a cans:

Dean - '87 & '92 Spider Veloce's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 02:42 PM
Gold Subscriber

What refrigerant is in your car now?

Reine

You are confusing me, possibly a language barrier?

You state in post #15

"....I am using the Hydrocarbon replacement gas so thats why i am a little confusing....."

Yet in post #1 you say.

"....I converted it from R12 to R134...."

R134 is not a Hydrocarbon refrigiant, it is a haloalkane refrigiant see.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1,1,1,2-Tetrafluoroethane

Hydrocarbon based refrigiant are discussed here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HC-12a

So please state using the "R" number (ie. R12, R22, R-600a and so on.) the refrigiant currently in your Montreal.

Here is a company that sells hdrocarbon based refrigiants
Environmentally Friendly Refrigerant and Automotive Fluid Products - Enviro-Safe, Inc

Finally here are some links about conversion to hdrocarbon based refrigiants
Using Propane in Volvo AC - Turbobricks Forums
Higher performance Propane A/C: Here's how - Turbobricks Forums

Bye
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milanoguy View Post
Reine

You are confusing me, possibly a language barrier?

You state in post #15

"....I am using the Hydrocarbon replacement gas so thats why i am a little confusing....."

Yet in post #1 you say.

"....I converted it from R12 to R134...."

R134 is not a Hydrocarbon refrigiant, it is a haloalkane refrigiant see.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1,1,1,2-Tetrafluoroethane

Hydrocarbon based refrigiant are discussed here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HC-12a

So please state using the "R" number (ie. R12, R22, R-600a and so on.) the refrigiant currently in your Montreal.

Here is a company that sells hdrocarbon based refrigiants
Environmentally Friendly Refrigerant and Automotive Fluid Products - Enviro-Safe, Inc

Finally here are some links about conversion to hdrocarbon based refrigiants
Using Propane in Volvo AC - Turbobricks Forums
Higher performance Propane A/C: Here's how - Turbobricks Forums

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxZw7uCiOtw

Bye

Hi Milanoguy

I see that i missed to tell that i am using the Envirosafe Hydrocarbon replacement gas instead of the R134 and R12

Sorry that i confusing you all

Thanks for the links Milanoguy

Reine Agapuu from Sweden. Alfa Montreal 2.6 V8 -72 = (My Pro Touring project)
Alfa 156 2.0 JTS SW TI -04 = (fun daily driver car)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 07:02 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Here's a two companies in the USA that makes custom-made parallel flow condensers. Ask them.

https://www.restomodair.com/view-all...ts/condensers/

Custom AC Condenser | Vintage Air Condenser | Old Air Products

Here's one in the UK:

Motor Climate Services - How to find Us

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 11:05 AM

Garage
Hi, I am the novice with my Montreal and I need to help. How should I control the levers and controls when I want to cool or warm?
Thanks
JR
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 04:21 PM

I planned to install modern air conditioning in my Montreal but then I sold the car, but kept the parts I had purchased. I found a parallel flow condenser just the size I needed (13"x 22", or 33cm x 56cm) at an auto junk yard here in the U.S. We have junk yards that allow you to wander around and find what you need. As it turned out it was also exactly the same size to use in my Alfetta GTV, and I went on and finished the job.

I do recall there is a center divider plate in front of the radiator on the Montreal that I would have removed, modified, or otherwise relocated so the condenser and fan(s) would fit behind it. I think the conversion would have worked out very satisfactorily especially since the Montreal "cabin" is pretty small. The Alfetta cabin and windows are larger but it cools very well.

All the other components (except the electric fans) were sourced from vintageair.com here in the U.S., and they have a lot of information and a complete catalog on their website. Yes, my system uses R134a coolant. I installed Vintage Air's smallest evaporator assembly behind the dash which meant throwing out all the Alfa parts but the V.A. system includes a new heater core with defrost as well as cooling. Yes, it was a lot of work, but worth the effort.

Vintage Air says the important things are to use the largest condenser that will fit, and to block off all outside air coming into the cabin.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 02:19 PM

Garage
Control Plate makes little or no sense...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozumak View Post
Hi, I am the novice with my Montreal and I need to help. How should I control the levers and controls when I want to cool or warm?
Thanks
JR
JR, maybe you'll see this reply to your old message. For Air-conditioning you want to set both levers to the full right side. (To demist temporarily blend heating and cooling for a few minutes at a time)

For heat, (neither available escutcheon plate makes much sense) the top lever controls the heater valve, you want it set to the left for full heat or move it toward the right to regulate or turn off the heat.

The bottom lever controls cabin air recirculation when set full right 'INT' (Interior Recirculation) or to the left 'EST' (Vent). The blower fan is only used for recirculating cabin air and the lower control lever should not be pushed fully to the EST (Vent -outside air) position when the fan is operating (or the fan motor is operating more or less in a closed box).
See Alfa Romeo Montreal the Essential Companion p. 120

Mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode