Spot a Monti for sale - Page 27 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #391 of 426 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 05:13 PM

There are two sides to every coin, Acalex. I can see both sides and I don't believe any one side can judge the other. Personally I'm on your side, but that doesn't make it right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 426 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 08:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backto105 View Post
..... not sure it's a $190K car..... you have to look at the global price average (price of cars sold- not advertised price), and you can buy as good or better across Europe for a lot less.
Looks like we are at $169K now. The global prices are steady if not on a slight decline for all classic cars over the last 3-6 months. He may have missed the peak for now. I have been looking for a Montreal for a while and this is $110-$125K car in my estimates.

Similarly, the 105 coupes are holding steady for now. Spiders seem to be up and down, all over the place.
post #393 of 426 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 12:49 AM

John in Brisbane sold his green one for $139AUD (US$100) last July. I thought that was over-priced. My guess is that the one on Carsales will go for less that $100AUD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #394 of 426 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 01:11 AM

Garage
Spot on!! I was using the green one as a benchmark!! I wanted that one but missed out.... sold real quick!!

Will be following this red one with interest!
post #395 of 426 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 01:20 AM

Apparently the green one was listed at 9:00am on a Sunday for $139 and was gone by 12:00 noon the same day. Don't forget that there were only 180 RHD cars made, and there will never be any more allowed into Australia. So supply and demand is on the side of sellers. Even so, $100 is about where I think the maximum price should be, especially with a likely recession on our doorstep.
post #396 of 426 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 02:28 AM Thread Starter

Well I have heard quite a few people were keen on Greenie, so it’s quite possible it could have sold for a tad more. RHD in a great colour will always demand more. I doubt we will see a decent Montreal for under 100k AUD anytime soon. Only if we get a bonafide recession (which I hope we don’t) and not just the slowdown we are currently having. Montreal’s are way more expensive to restore and run than a 105 coupe or spider so I’d imagine most owners will hold if they can through the dips.
Backto105 likes this.

66' Giulia Super, '67 GT Veloce, '72 Montreal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.montreal.alfa-male.com
post #397 of 426 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 06:15 PM

relative values

In the interests of helping the Australians on this list - mine was the metallic green one.
I am very familiar with the red one currently on the market, having driven it on many occasions.
My quick comparative assessment:
The red one has a better body and paint. It was put on a rotisserie. You can see the engine bay is the same as the body colour.
The red one is shod with lower profile wider tyres than standard and was lowered more than mine. I think this configuration is not as good aesthetically: lower profile means they don't look big enough for the wheel arches. All easily fixed of course.
Both cars were fitted with a Haltec engine management system with EFI. Both installations include individual coil on plug ignition. Existing distributor and coils remain but are inactive - the engine bay appearance is minimally affected. Performance and reliability is much improved.
The green car has a trigger wheel and sensor on the crank - a new custom pulley was turned up from billet stock to suit the application. Another sensor runs off the RH camshaft.
When I last saw it the red car only had the sensor running off the camshaft - which in my view does not provide the same accuracy as when sensing off the crank: timing chains can stretch and other mechanical issues can cause ambiguous readings. This compromises ability to optimally tune the car.
Last dyno run with the green car showed 160hp at the rear wheels.
Both car interiors are probably comparable - notwithstanding they have different colour schemes which is just a matter of taste. The green car has a modified rear bench replacing the ugly moulded vinyl contraption.
I guess supply and demand influences price !
Hope this is of some help.
John
post #398 of 426 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 08:09 PM

G'day John

Derek had mentioned to me that he knew your green car. I, too, intend to put a Haltec system on my engine. Without exception, everyone I've spoken to with Haltec fuel injection gives it 10 out of 10. I was toying with individual coils or using a distributor. I guess the individual coils would future proof the fuel injection. Are there any other advantages of individual coils?

I'd love to know the actual selling price of the red one, once it disappears from Carsales.

Have a happy day
Rob
post #399 of 426 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robarbon View Post
Apparently the green one was listed at 9:00am on a Sunday for $139 and was gone by 12:00 noon the same day. Don't forget that there were only 180 RHD cars made, and there will never be any more allowed into Australia. So supply and demand is on the side of sellers. Even so, $100 is about where I think the maximum price should be, especially with a likely recession on our doorstep.
Hi... just curious as to why will no more be allowed in Australia? Is there no avenues for classic or rare cars to be allowed dispensations from crash or emissions restrictions?

1975 Montreal - Race prepared... Mean and Green.
1999 166 3.0 V6 - Daily Driver, 1989 75 2.0 TS Turbo IMSA project car
post #400 of 426 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 09:30 PM

Garage
Phil..... For the best explanation.... refer to post #359 and #360 of this thread.
post #401 of 426 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 10:01 PM

Coil on plug ignition

Rob
Individual coils = better spark = better performance.
No more distributor points to maintain
John
post #402 of 426 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backto105 View Post
Phil..... For the best explanation.... refer to post #359 and #360 of this thread.
I guess my Montreal will continue to be lonely as a LHD in Oz... Any other known LHD’s in Australia?

66' Giulia Super, '67 GT Veloce, '72 Montreal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.montreal.alfa-male.com
post #403 of 426 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 01:17 AM

The guy doing my metalwork here in Sydney tells me he has a customer with two LHD Montreals. I know one of them is Silver. So don't feel too lonely.
post #404 of 426 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 02:19 AM

Lhd rhd

We have two or three of the five or six we keep going for our customers in Melbourne
post #405 of 426 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 10:59 AM

I am not a purist at heart! Just wanted to get that out of the way first!!
But, when it comes to Classic cars and the restoration of them, the value is more if it is operating with the original parts and systems the car came with. Modified will always be modified. That doesn't mean you should not change your car. It is your car after all, and you are free to do whatever you wish with it. Just keep in the back of your mind that this will not help the cars market value in the long term. It's the same as with originality, compared to a fully restored car or any antique for that matter.
About cars being allowed into Australia. I believe this is because the Federal Government have installed a set of rules in the last few years, that require a car to be checked for Asbestos, even the slightest trace of it in a car. And the onus is on the owner to prove it has none. From what I have heard, this can be very expensive, if not prohibitive. I have a RHD car, bought in Australia in 1985 and then taken to Europe and Germany before finally being brought to the USA in 1992. Guess what? I don't believe that I can bring my car back into Australia, unless I tear a lot of it out, Clutch, Brakes, under floor Insulation and God only knows what else. If I did, my car would not be original anymore besides not justifying the cost of the modifications. Enough said....

Karl Robertson
Michigan 48302
USA
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode