Spot a Monti for sale - Page 25 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #361 of 426 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 04:58 AM

Garage
and here.... where they mention that they are targeting Vintage and Classic cars!

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/Impor...-asbestos.aspx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 426 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 06:23 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backto105 View Post
Craig,

I have imported 100's of cars and was a certified ADR Engineer... I started importing cars from UK in1982 and I was importing cars back in 1989 when they introduced the new legislation so I know exactly what is needed. The import approval and shipping is trivial paperwork. (and BTW- you would never ship a car RORO)

It's all about asbestos now. They won't let anything in that they even think MIGHT contain asbestos. These 105's could contain asbestos in the exhaust heat shields, exhaust gaskets, and even the head gasket. Let alone clutch and brake pads!!

Go and revisit the customs site for the latest. It has cost people 10,000's $$ in inspection fees, holding fees, mechanics fees only to get told that they will never see their car again.... Most recently, I know of someone that shipped a 105 coupe from Australia to England for a Vintage Rally and the Nanny State wouldn't let it back into Australia!!!
Good to know - things must have changed. I had a quick read, that would suggest that no classic cars are getting in at all. Zero. Is that the case? I’m surprised the media hasn’t pounced (perhaps they did and I didn’t notice). I guess that just made our cars that much more valuable

When I brought my car in from the uk in 2008 it was a trivial exercise, filling out forms and meeting legislative requirements. It was steam cleaned on the way out and I was charged for cleaning on the way in too (although it was obviously not done as it was still covered highland mud)

I wouldn’t use RORO either.

'66 1600 Duetto | '73 1600 GTJunior | '03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon | '11 Giulietta QV (wow, revelation) | I really don't need this many Alfa's...

Last edited by Craig_m67; 07-26-2018 at 06:31 AM.
post #363 of 426 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 04:05 PM

Garage
... if it's an early 90's or even late 80's car... chances are good to get it in. As these modern cars should not contain any nasty stuff.

Anything earlier, there's a good chance that EVERY car will contain some traces of asbestos.

As we know, most products manufactured today (in first world countries) are asbestos free. You would need to show that before importing that you have either:
1) have done total testing by their nominated labs at origin to show it is free and submit certificate with your customs paperwork
2) replace clutch, head gasket, heat shields, brake pads, exhaust gaskets in country of origin and present all the receipts for the new parts and labour
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #364 of 426 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 04:17 PM

Garage
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...omeo-montreal/

SOLD!! USD$29K- WHAT A BARGAIN!!!
post #365 of 426 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 04:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Total bargain.. especially with a NOS long block

I was tempted, but knowing how Aussie (immigration) red tape has become so jackbooted fascist over the last decade decided to heed your advice (and links, thanks)

Will have to investigate more as I always wanted really to bring a 101/750 spider over.. bucket list stuff

'66 1600 Duetto | '73 1600 GTJunior | '03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon | '11 Giulietta QV (wow, revelation) | I really don't need this many Alfa's...
post #366 of 426 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Yep, that was cheap all right! That NOS engine has to be worth $20k+ going on what a secondhand engine sells for. Craig, looks like there are services popping up that will identify the asbestos so you can get it removed in the origin country before it gets expensive in Australia.

https://www.hagertyinsurance.co.uk/a...bestos-removal

https://www.dazmac.com.au/dazmac-dev...-asbestos-ban/

etc.

66' Giulia Super, '67 GT Veloce, '72 Montreal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.montreal.alfa-male.com
post #367 of 426 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 09:51 PM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
The crazy thing is that asbestos is essentially harmless unless you turn it into splinters and dust, in a relatively confined space. The infinitesimal amount of asbestos distributed by an old car is next to zip. Worse, removing anything with asbestos means it’s headed back into an uncontrolled space. Or, are they going to require certified hazmat disposal?

There are tons of old houses with asbestos siding. The regulatory agencies have long understood that if you just leave it alone, you’re good. Start breaking it up and moving it, problem.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
Oops. Add to the "present" list, 10204 01488, 2000 Touring Roadster project

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
post #368 of 426 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 10:30 PM

It's a bit like carbon gasses in the atmosphere.
post #369 of 426 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 10:51 PM

Garage
...and here's another- just up for auction.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...eo-montreal-4/

This one looks a little better than the last one!!

In fact looks real good.... will be interesting to see what the final sell price is....
post #370 of 426 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 05:16 AM

Garage
Salvage title will probably hold it back which could make it a good buy for someone who understands that the cost to repair one of these vs the value a few years ago would make salvage titles pretty common for moderate damage like the fire this car had. Wonder what started the fire. I know of one that started when the wiring to the courtesy light by the rear speakers shorted and wasn't on a fused circuit. Luckily it was caught when it was just smoke.
post #371 of 426 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 08:05 AM

Garage
You can't always get what you want but if you try, sometimes, you get what you need.

Quote:
Perhaps not such a bargain. The buyer says:

As a follow up to the sale, or rather non-sale of this car, the owner has refused to honor the auction price after a couple of weeks of contemplation on his part. He says that I can have it for $60k which is what he feels that he can get for it locally. Of course I declined as I would be deeply underwater. I offered him a sweetener of $5k if the extra engine turned out to be as remarkable as it sounds but that offer went nowhere.

In regards to BAT, they did respond after a couple of days but the note went into my junk folder. The upshot is that they will ban the seller from the site (at least under that email address). Part of their response is as follows:

“Thank you for the update. As part of listing the car on BaT the seller agreed to the Make Whole program, in which we may kick in part of our fee to complete the reserve. The seller approved the listing with a $30k reserve, $1k of which is coming from us once the transaction completes. This is explained to the sellers ahead of time and we don’t move forward without their agreement. We’re sorry you’ve come up against this delay. Please keep us in the loop on your contact with the seller. Let us know if there are any other questions.”

The bottom line is that auctions are a moral contract, and enforcing an agreement to sell is financially prohibitive. And I don’t know if the BAT agreement is even written in such a way that a person could pursue legal redress. Likely not.

Mark
post #372 of 426 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

I've been watching this one for a bit and I think its probably not a bad starting point if you have it in your head to do a nut and bolt resto. Seems like its pretty much there and the price seems good considering what I see engines on their own sell for.
Thoughts?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Rome...sAAOSwuWFb3snY
Craig_m67 likes this.

66' Giulia Super, '67 GT Veloce, '72 Montreal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.montreal.alfa-male.com
post #373 of 426 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 04:10 AM

Here is a nice Red one that just popped up for sale down in Oz.

Some modifications made, nothing that can't be undone!

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...5876254/?Cr=20

That's a big price tag ..... (no connections to this sale)...

Cheers.

'74 2000 GTV - Robinia Metallizzato, '73 1.3 Giulia Super - Giallo Prototipo, '68 1750 S1 Berlina - Verde Oliva Metallizzato
post #374 of 426 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 02:05 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTV-074 View Post
Here is a nice Red one that just popped up for sale down in Oz.

Some modifications made, nothing that can't be undone!

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...5876254/?Cr=20

That's a big price tag ..... (no connections to this sale)...

Cheers.
..... not sure it's a $190K car..... you have to look at the global price average (price of cars sold- not advertised price), and you can buy as good or better across Europe for a lot less.
post #375 of 426 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 10:57 AM

Its a nice car and it is 1 of 104 RHD cars built. That's RARE. But just looking at the pictures, here is what I found...
1) No Alfa Romeo Badge on the Rear 2) Wrong Alfa Romeo Badge on the nose, does not have "Milano" in it 3) A Red painted Front Spoiler and something does not look right, the Rear is too low.
If you are asking that sort of money, nothing wrong with that, but the car will need to be perfect.
Plus there are no pictures of the Luggage Compartment or the underside of the car details. Just my humble opinion....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode