Engine compartment photos when new - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Giorgio now has these bump stops as well as an identical set for the rear hatch window. The rear catches on the Blue Montreal have a sort of 'dummy 1/2 rivet,' so they don't look like they ever had a bump stop. Does your car have such a bump stop in the rear?
How about does your car have a bump stop up front?

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 09:36 AM

Garage
Mark,
There is enough "give" in the rubber that you can get the rubber bump stop over the original rivet. No bump stops in the rear that I'm aware of.. Where would they go?
Dale

Last edited by Dale Whitney; 05-01-2015 at 09:44 AM.
post #18 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Whitney View Post
Mark,
There is enough "give" in the rubber that you can get the rubber bump stop over the original rivet. No bump stops in the rear that I'm aware of.. Where would they go?
Dale
There is some 'give' in the rubber bump stops but the rivet has one large end and the other end has a "washer" that is swedged in place so they would not be installed properly.
Here is a link to the lengthy and 'highly-technical' article that I did on the rubber hood bumper installation;-)
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa...tallation.html

The rear hatch latches are nearly identical to the front hood latches, except; there is a short 'dummy' rivet filling a hole on one side of the latch thus preventing the installation of a rubber bumper. When I asked Giorgio about bumpers for the rear latch, he suggested that I check my parts manual...I'd be willing to bet they are shown in the manual but I have not looked; sorry Giorgio.

I am excited that a new copy of The Immortal 2.9, Alfa Romeo 8C2900 by Simon Moore arrived today (the other 8C!) I saw a post on ABB earlier with a link to Malcolm Harris' site:
The Immortal 2.9, The Revised Edition, by Simon Moore, Edited and designed by Malcom Harris, Parkside Publications
That saved me about $35 over the listing on ebay and when I called to order Malcolm Harris (Editor & Designer) answered the phone and offered me a deal on The Legendary 2.3! Okay, I got a little star struck and did not think to ask him to sign the copy for me -drats. I'd love to have both Moore and Harris sign the literary 'holly grail' for me. Having enjoying a 1st edition copy for a few years; I have regretted letting it go for the last 11 years, until now!
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 06:17 AM

Orange Montreal...Awarded the highly regarded and desirable ASI (Automotoclub Storico Italiano) Certification which only the finest and most correct examples of classic cars and motorcycles in Italy are granted.

Featured Cars - Alfa Romeo - Montreal - 1973 Alfa Romeo Montreal (ref 1045)
Attached Images

Past 1990 164 V6 in NZ
post #20 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Alistair,
The second engine picture looks very nice.
The orange Montreal looks fantastic! The engine compartment on the other hand looks like it has covered a lot of miles since 2006. The engine compartment is filthy and incorrect in many ways...nasty scuttle gasket, blue solution bag, grimy expansion tank, improper coolant overflow hose, no wing nuts on air filter housing, no plug wire 'looms', a modern plastic filter on the EGR line, no air duct hoses to the intake plenum, lots of black spray paint where it should not be, ie., CD boxes, hood springs, expansion tank strap, injection pump lines, oil tank cap...only the finest and most correct examples; where? I wonder if the A/C blows cold?

"In April 2006 this Montreal had the honour of being awarded the highly regarded and desirable ASI (Automotoclub Storico Italiano) Certification which only the finest and most correct examples of classic cars and motorcycles in Italy are granted"
My "ASI"?

Mark
post #21 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 01:18 AM

Second photo looks like from factory.

Was wondering about the orange car given it was missing intake ducts and how dirty the over radiator area is and the nasty expansion tank, you'd think a loving owner would clean it..

Would do my head in every time I looked at it lol

Past 1990 164 V6 in NZ
post #22 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I agree; the "factory looking" photograph has a lot of good information: nice original air ducts, silver hood springs, red fender sticker, only one spark plug wire loom(?), cloth covered oil return lines with hose clamps to oil tank (not shown in factory parts manual) and hose clamps from EGR to intake plenum but it has black plug wires, no red warning label on coolant cap (thermostat cover cap) and no air filter decal on housing.

The engine compartment in the orange car is clearly not up to the standards of the rest of the car...

Mark
post #23 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 08:15 AM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I'm confused what you are referring to as the "EGR". I'm not aware of any Exhaust Gas Recirculation on the Montreal. Are you talking about the air/oil separator? It pulls oily air up from the crank case, separates it via some method, and sends the air back to the intake and oil back to the sump. Given the very low vacuum in this system, I'd say clamps aren't much needed except to keep the hoses in place.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
Oops. Add to the "present" list, 10204 01488, 2000 Touring Roadster project

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
post #24 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yes I called it an EGR, it is really is a crankcase ventilation device to collect and condense oil vapors and return the oil to the oil tank (or sump?) and the remaining vapors are sent to the manifold to be burned or recirculated. You are right that the clamps are not really necessary and I drove without them for about 2 1/2 years!

You might say the clamps on the oil return line to the oil tank are 'not necessary' either. I drove without them for the better part of a year. I guess when Larry rebuilt the engine he did not think clamps necessary on the two short hose segments closest to the 2.5 or 3 gallon oil tank. My parts manual does not show clamps on these hoses either but it bothered me to not have them; most of the 'early' photographs show these clamps and I have Romobloks on them now.

It would be nice to see some good clear, original factory, color engine compartment photographs but as Hennalore commented there were very few original engine compartment photo's available to us and some she found looked worse than many engines we see today. I suspect the Alfa archives would have some good engine compartment shots.

I may be the only one that did not approve of Fiat's "redecorating" the museum's Montreal display engine. Sure it looks better and more colorful but it 'just aint right' and it is similar to 'rewriting history' in my books. It is one thing if an individual decides to repaint their valve covers, change wheel styles or add a targa top to their car; I just don't think the museum should do it.

Mark
post #25 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 08:03 PM

There was a RHD Montreal at the Melbourne Spettacolo yesterday with only 9100 miles since new. Other than the wine bottle it looked pretty original. It is a shame there weren't many great engine bay shots in colour when new. Hannelore seems to have collected a lot of period literature with the engine bay receiving a small amount of focus.

Mark I also agree that the Museum engine should be an accurate reference piece rather than bling.
Attached Images

66' Giulia Super, '67 GT Veloce, '72 Montreal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.montreal.alfa-male.com
post #26 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 11:30 PM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Hmmm. Just curious. My early Montreal has the air-oil water separator with one line to the idle air adjust at the rear, and another into the air cleaner. The bottom drains into the sump. In the picture above I see a line that heads forward and down, but it doesn't show where that line goes. I'm curious where it ends up.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #27 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 02:08 AM

That line if I'm looking at same hose should lead back up to and connect below oil reservoir cap for hot oil fumes to vent into canister..

Below shows it straight across top..
Attached Images

Montikai likes this.

Past 1990 164 V6 in NZ

Last edited by Alistair Muir; 11-30-2015 at 02:32 AM.
post #28 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 10:59 AM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I'm about to apply some decals to the engine bay and accessories, and immediately tripped over a problem. Of course, I came to this thread, thinking it would provide some consistent evidence of the original configuration.

On the top of the right wheel housing, I see follow placards

Red square
Orange square about the same size as above
Black slightly smaller rectangle
Very wide but not tall black rectangle
Red square with wide but not tall rectangle on top of it.

Can anyone help explain what is most correct? Perhaps there are differences for country of origin, to which end all I can say is my car has labels in Italian, not German or French.

Also, color of main fuel filter canister (the bottom part) in the engine bay?

Thanks,
Don

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #29 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Don,

I went with the 'red labels' from Dirk and Hennalore for both the right front fender and the coolant overflow cap and their 'black fluids label' on the engine cover (bonnet) which was a tad smaller so I got to remove the hood, strip and repaint the underside of it.
I also used their aluminum 'model number' plates on the firewall, which unfortunately required new holes and rivets but they do look very snazzy.

Oh, you missed the "green label" in post #25. I am pretty sure the labels are country specific. A lot of the 'new' car engine compartments did not have some labels, so regarding labels, the blue Montreal probably is 'more correct' than it was when it left the factory;-)!

Mark
post #30 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 05:38 PM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I think I'm OK on the red square label on the right wheel arch. Where does the label go that states the original body color?

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode