Alfa Romeo Montreal on Ebay, Very Nice! - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 07:26 PM

Terrible seller !, his attitude alone should be enough not to buy the car..., at $60K he better be more polite with whoever contact him..., maybe if he was asking $6K I would put-up with his manners. A Montreal does not deserve to be near this guy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 04:33 PM

Having a monte did cross my mind of late... But 59000+ ??

And I thought 911 prices were crazy... Thats more than the 930 I sold last summer

I thought it my be fun to juice one up and modify a little since so many are bone stock.
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 04:51 PM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Mine gets plenty of stares and thumbs ups as I drive around town. Being bright orange can do that, I guess.

The "juice-up" I've done to mine has made it thrilling to drive on a winding road. Several of the hot rod Asian-crap cars can out-drag it, however. Had a ***** box Mitsubishi run off and leave me heading up an on ramp a couple of days ago. I think it may have been one of their EVO models, or something.

I'll be ready to let it go to a new home in a year or so, when all the bugs are worked out. Maybe by then 59k will be the entry level for a good looking, well-sorted car.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
Oops. Add to the "present" list, 10204 01488, 2000 Touring Roadster project

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 02:48 AM

The red one (#5234) has two bids now, both apparently at the starting price. Odd.
Looks like the seller bought a new battery too
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 11:03 AM

71 Monte: Thanks for your input. This had "smell a rat" written all over it. Lots of rats.

Nice that there are still some Alfa enthusiasts left.
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 12:58 PM

History of AR1425234

@71 Monti

In what condition was the car when you sold it? Had it been in an previous accident, and if yes, where etc. Any "partial repaint" is never done just for the fun of it. I may be off, but it also appears the doors fit lines are not quite perfect.
Perhaps your historical knowledge of this particular Monti may assist us, the wanna haves, making a better informed decision if it's even worth flying out to see it.

Thanks
post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 02:19 PM

Your monte more capable then an evo?? Please.... Stop humoring me. Must be the nut behind the wheel. :-).
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 07:05 PM

I don't know much about Montreals, but this one down in FL for $23k looks like a much better deal, unless there are lots of undisclosed issues.

Edit: Now that I think of it, I have to wonder if the listing I posted above is for real. Could this be a scam? The listing says that the car's in Florida, but the pics sure don't look like Florida to me. Of course it could have moved recently. Who knows....

Last edited by Spinner; 03-29-2014 at 10:03 PM.
post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 07:28 PM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
davbert.. No. Please re-read my post. I did NOT say my Monty was more capable than the EVO. I said it left me in its smoke in a drag-off up an entrance ramp. Note that I'm not even sure it was an EVO, just a small Mitsubishi with lots of bling making a hellacious racket as it disappeared quickly into the distance. The one things I can say about the Montreal's capability at this point is that it has more handling than power, particularly while doing the hill climb up to Tahoe. My Mazda 6 GT has about equal amounts of both. I reckon the Alfa would be happier with about 80 - 100 more HP, but I don't see me being motivated to make that happen.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 08:39 PM

MontrealMonti; I had a small accident (rear ended a car) and ended up having to replace the front nose piece (I found an NOS replacement in a warehouse in Italy), so the front of the car was repainted after the repairs were made. Sometime in the cars past it was repainted from metallic orange to red and it was "skim coated" (1/4 to 3/8 in. thick) with bondo, those are the cracks that can be seen in the picture of the rear hatch. The main reason for selling it was that it was very uncomfortable to sit in, the seats are from a sedan and are too high, that's why the naugahyde covers have the wrong pattern. Also, here's a link to the BaT article when I had it listed for sale.
1971 Alfa Romeo Montreal
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 02:23 AM

Thanks! Either the seller is paying attention to this thread or someone told him the facts, 'cause the listing no longer says "Original, untouched, unmolested and uncut". Next thing you know the price drops to something nearer its real value.

So, they're not the optional Bertone leather seats after all? Do you know what car they came from?
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorW View Post
Thanks! Either the seller is paying attention to this thread or someone told him the facts, 'cause the listing no longer says "Original, untouched, unmolested and uncut". Next thing you know the price drops to something nearer its real value.

So, they're not the optional Bertone leather seats after all? Do you know what car they came from?
Hallo Tor
I own a german price list where the Montreal is offered with "extras optional: leather interior + sun roof". The seats look like original in the very perfect hand made like a profi is doing it (and they are old). Maybe I am wrong and the leather cover is from a GT 1. serie ???

Generally I don't want to be arrogant or impolite - but for me this car is NOT worth 60k ! I was watching the less technic pics more than 1 x and there is not much enough of details to see, the paint is not the first and the interior looks to me like parking 25 years in a corner. About the engine, spica, gearbox, axles, steeringbox, original kilometer, old electric etc I won't say much far of this car for any personal check, but when we will offer our Montreal (what of course is not 100 % perfect) I will take maybe less... My fist and second view on screen let me NOT spend 60.Ks,there are a lot arround in much better condition. Just to see the original first (OLD) cables, who are a base for much trubble, nothing changed to new/in old look like today to get, etc.... ! 60thousend is a high number what will be earned and you don't know the secret little sicknesses of this baby. I guess this offer (like a lot these days) is a try to make quick money after the 2 US offers/solds what let some guys hoping for getting a "millionair"... pfff
The sound of seller is very interesting: firstly he is impolite and "in the wrong movie"!! and secondly he maybe knows quite good that something of his long text is just a fairy tale ?? No reason for him to be so nasty, or (like we germans say) : This horse has rotten teeth... (?)

Hope you and family is ok?!
Take care
Hannelore

https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 06:38 AM

Garage
You have seen the new price of this one and only best car ever?

No Reserve California Original Survivor RARE Stock Classic Bertone European | eBay

unbelivable.

Kai
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 08:18 AM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Well, wouldn't we be happy if he got either his previous price, or this one? It would certainly make me feel better for the cost and effort I'm putting into mine.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 09:46 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
I don't know much about Montreals, but this one down in FL for $23k looks like a much better deal...Now that I think of it, I have to wonder if the listing I posted above is for real. Could this be a scam? The listing says that the car's in Florida, but the pics sure don't look like Florida to me.
Good detective work! I can see mountains/hills on the upper left hand side of the photo below - looks more like California than Florida.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode