Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/)
-   Alfa Romeo Montreal (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-montreal/)
-   -   Montreal USA spec. Speedo face group buy (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-montreal/283497-montreal-usa-spec-speedo-face-group-buy.html)

IRONBLOCK 01-27-2014 12:44 PM

Montreal USA spec. Speedo face group buy

Has anyone else already done a USA (Imperial) Spec speedometer face for the Montreal? Was one ever available from Alfa ?
It would be nice if we could have a 'group buy' of speedometer faces done for the Montreal. They are relatively easy to change and would be nice to have; well, if I could get the new speedometer sending unit plugged into the back of the ZF transmission...does anyone have experience doing this kind of work? I suspect it would require fairly precise plastic cutting equipment and silk screening for the numbers but nothing too sophisticated.

Mark

V8Alfa 01-27-2014 08:37 PM

Montreal Speedometer Face

Mark,

I recall someone in your neck of the woods making up a clear vinyl overlay printed with the imperial scale that would leave the stock metric scale visible. Might have been Delmas Greene? This was 5 or 6 years ago, and I believe there was a post on the Bruce Taylor website offering them. I never followed up because I had cobbled together some vinyl numbers locally, but perhaps that effort can be resurrected.

DPeterson3 01-27-2014 09:14 PM

Mark,

You can count me in, unless there is a shocking cost. Merely eyebrow raising is OK.

alfasrule 01-28-2014 06:18 AM

KPH times 6, drop the zero. That's how fast I know I'm going. It's off a little but not much.

DPeterson3 01-28-2014 07:04 AM

Yeah, I use the multiple as well, but given the relative ease of changing the faces, I wouldn't mind making it a little less distracting. Plus, I need to do some calibrating, I think. When I'm passing cars thru Washoe Valley where everyone is always doing 75 - 85, my speedo usually says 110 - 115. I'd hate to get a ticket cuz of speedo inaccuracy.

yvesmontreal 01-28-2014 05:05 PM

The RHD Montreals must have had Imperial instruments.

DPeterson3 01-28-2014 05:28 PM

Yeah, but the Brits use leagues, or furlongs, or something. Maybe rods.

rob3375 01-29-2014 12:56 PM

Hi I am a Brit Monty owner. The original speedo calibration is very accurate. I fitted a mph speedo to my lhd car. However nighttime driving is hopeless. Now with all the cameras and speed traps I have resorted to using a tomtom satnav. Essential for nighttime and you can change from mph to kph quite easily, but no furlongs! Not original I know but I no longer worry about speeding and enjoy the driving experience. Not sure on the US laws regarding speed detectors though.

alfasrule 01-29-2014 01:42 PM

That would put Sheriff Bufford T. Justice out of work, if we used cameras.

DPeterson3 01-29-2014 04:40 PM

There are no such things as "US laws regarding speed detectors". We have various state laws, however. I believe, given the recent entertainment provided by Mr. Snowden, that the public taste will be significantly reduced for more cameras observing us night and day. Well, except in weird places like California, Massachusetts, New York, etc. Here in Nevada, I can be on a very straight, flat stretch of highway doing 100+ within 5 minutes of leaving the house. On rare occasion this could result in a ticket, but there are no cameras. One must tune up the Italian engines from time to time.

IRONBLOCK 01-30-2014 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yvesmontreal (Post 5140001)
The RHD Montréal’s must have had Imperial instruments.

In looking through 'M-tEC' there are several shots of speedometers in both Right Hand Drive Montréal’s (p. 28) and LHD cars (pgs. 38, 39 & 37). All of them appear to have the Km/hour X 10 speedo faces. I have yet to see a Montreal with MPH speedo face. Would you post a photo if possible?
Mark

rob3375 01-31-2014 12:25 AM

Monty MPH speedo

1 Attachment(s)
Hi I have attached a pic of my MPH speedo on my 71 LHD Montreal.

IRONBLOCK 01-31-2014 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob3375 (Post 5145345)
Hi I have attached a pic of my MPH speedo on my 71 LHD Montreal.

Thanks Rob, now that I see your 'MPH' speedo I realize that it is identical to the one shown on page 28 in M-tEC! It is not at all what I am used to looking at. The interesting thing is that your speedo face not only has MPH but it also had Km/Hour on the inside. Now why did Alfa not just use that speedo face on all of their gauges? It would have made sense to me.

I did get a reply from Delmas Greene regarding the speedometer face 'clear vinyl overlay' and he does have one that he is using on one of his Montreal's. When there is more information available, it will be posted here.
Mark

DPeterson3 01-31-2014 10:31 AM

Hmmm. I need to go look at my gauge. I wonder if the KPH and MPH are completely different instruments, or whether it is just the inner and outer "faces" that are different.

If the physical layout is the same, perhaps a yellow-character overlay could be made for the INNER face so that we end up with essentially a mirror image of the above MPH on the outer and KPH on the inner? I'm not interested in having an overlay stuck to outer face of the clear plastic lens. Yuck.

rob3375 01-31-2014 12:44 PM

Hi, I can check this also as I have the kmh speedo I removed. I will say though as a tall driver I do find the instrument visibility useless even during daylight. Another reason for using a satnav. One of the most annoying features for me is the large tail on the needle which obscures your miles travelled counter whilst driving. Sounds trivial but when you are munching up the miles/Kms across Europe whilst travelling to the various international meetings it's a useful guide for tank refills rather than the low fuel indicator. The Monty doesn't like to be pushed on fumes which can be bad news for the fuel pumps.