Montreal USA spec. Speedo face group buy - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 04:04 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRONBLOCK View Post
Brian, I don't know why did I not think of you for this project? You are perfect for getting this done and done right! I must be slipping a bit. This is probably the best photo that I can come up with but I can photograph my 'metric' speedo and provide dimensions or as you often prefer, I can send it to you!

Attachment 1560764

You've probably read the thread but we could use a clear plastic film type speedometer overlay with Imperial measurements on the inner ring in yellow. Similar to Dom's photo above but the metric speedo lacks any inner MPH indicators as necessary. I can do the mental calculation pretty fast but it is usually done just after I pass a cop!

Mark
How would the overlay attach to the speedometer? Anything that is peal and stick would show and look fairly ugly.

The face of the speedometer looks to be 3D. Is it one piece or two pieces?

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 04:14 AM

looks a one piece, dished shape.
Attached Images

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #33 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
As I understand, the speedometer overlay was printed on a piece of thick 'static cling' type plastic. I have not actually seen one but understand that John Justice has a NOS overlay and that Delmas Greene is using one on one of his two Montreal's. I'll request a photograph.

I made an overlay on a piece of static cling material with a Sharpie. It was fugly and hard to see. One day I peeled it off and threw it away; I kind of regret doing that now.

The inner ring on the speedometer face is 'stepped down' or "3-D" as you say.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 08:03 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRONBLOCK View Post
As I understand, the speedometer overlay was printed on a piece of thick 'static cling' type plastic. I have not actually seen one but understand that John Justice has a NOS overlay and that Delmas Greene is using one on one of his two Montreal's. I'll request a photograph.

I made an overlay on a piece of static cling material with a Sharpie. It was fugly and hard to see. One day I peeled it off and threw it away; I kind of regret doing that now.

The inner ring on the speedometer face is 'stepped down' or "3-D" as you say.

Mark
If a static cling is what you want, we can make that happen. Do they actually cling to plastic? The printer I use can print on static cling. I'll have to approach them for a sample to see how it sticks.

post #35 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Brian, that sounds great! The photo Dom showed in post #27 shows a metric speedometer with Imperial units on the inside ring. I didn't realize it at the time he posted the photo but this must be a modified unit. It either has been re-printed or has an overlay.

I just followed the link provided to see if the speedometer had been modified and if the modification was described or not and realized on the speedometer Dom posted -the link was for a very nice looking Montreal that was for sale.

There was another speedometer photo in the link -that makes me think this has an overlay applied to the speedometer plastic screen cover. I can't tell if it was applied inside or outside the clear plastic screen but outside would be much easier to apply.

Name:  1972_Alfa_Romeo_Montreal_0052.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  38.2 KB

This is functional but not quite as aesthetically pleasing as the above speedometer modification.

Name:  monti speedo.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  35.1 KB

Mark

Last edited by IRONBLOCK; 04-14-2019 at 08:04 AM.
post #36 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 08:04 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
It's possible the speedo is shared with another Bertone designed car. But who knows.

post #37 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The Montreal gauge cluster is unique to the Montreal.

Mark
post #38 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:16 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
Mark, I'll reach out to the printing company I use and see what they say about the clings. I think a cling would be okay, so long as it's applied correctly (without air bubbles).

I thins picture, whomever made the graphics, added a nice line along the bottom that can be used to line up the decal with the gauge.

post #39 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Brian, I'd be happy to test a piece of the film on my speedometer. The one I made from a screen protector stuck without issue but had some bubbles...

That line on the bottom will help with alignment but it also goes up and around the gauge with hash marks and numbers around the gauge face. I think it would be helpful to print the above using yellow ink.

If you use the numbers as shown below, no " /hrx10" would be needed.

Name:  1972_Alfa_Romeo_Montreal_0052 (2).jpg
Views: 29
Size:  45.7 KB

Mark

Last edited by IRONBLOCK; 04-15-2019 at 05:14 PM.
post #40 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:09 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
I found this RHD car with the same speedo.

https://www.tradeuniquecars.com.au/d...ontreal-688396

post #41 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 01:36 PM

Alfa Romeo Montreal - Speedometer Face MPH / KPH

This came up a number of years ago. I sent an image of my RHD cars Speedometer and never heard anymore. Anyway, here is a picture again...
Attached Images

post #42 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:14 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
This is going to be a very interesting challenge. I'm rather particular about the details and will probably need to get one of these in my hands. The lines at 2,3,4,5,6.... are at some unknown angle. I'll need to replicate those exact angles so that I can figure out where the MPH "lines" are supposed to go.

If anyone has one of these clusters disassembled, a high resolution scan (not a picture) of the speedo face would be most appreciated. If I can't get that, I will have to figure all of that out with a protractor. Remember those?

post #43 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post
I found this RHD car with the same speedo.

https://www.tradeuniquecars.com.au/d...ontreal-688396
Brian, that is a true Imperial units speedometer with metric numbers inside, like Robo330's (Karl's) photo below yours. Most of us have metric speedometers, which unfortunately did not come complete with any Imperial units.

Mark
post #44 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post
This is going to be a very interesting challenge. I'm rather particular about the details
just a little detail, but as details are important, note the original "lines" are not actually solid.

pity these things are so expensive! this would have been a good candidate otherwise....
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Rome...-/163576665643
Attached Images

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #45 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 06:36 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderserie4 View Post
just a little detail, but as details are important, note the original "lines" are not actually solid.

pity these things are so expensive! this would have been a good candidate otherwise....
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Rome...-/163576665643
Thank for the picture. It's no problem for me to draw this kind of detail.
spiderserie4 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode