Montreal USA spec. Speedo face group buy - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRONBLOCK View Post
I did get a reply from Delmas Greene regarding the speedometer face 'clear vinyl overlay' and he does have one that he is using on one of his Montreal's. When there is more information available, it will be posted here.
Mark
So far I have asked who had the vinyl overlays made up in hopes of getting a copy or two. I suspect that once installed they are virtually invisible. John J. is looking into having some copies of an unused one made up and he hopes to know something in a couple of weeks. I suspect that the Km/H face could be silk screened over with MPH like Don suggested; having the photo that Rob submitted will help!

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPeterson3 View Post
Hmmm. I need to go look at my gauge. I wonder if the KPH and MPH are completely different instruments, or whether it is just the inner and outer "faces" that are different.
The gears that drive the odometers will be different.
post #18 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 06:48 PM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
different drive gears for Speedo?

It may be that the original KPH and MPH speedos used different drive gears, but I tend to doubt that. Regardless, this initiative seems to be focused on adapting what we have with the least invasive and costly solution. Thus, an MPH sticker or inner face that simply matched up the equivalent MPH to its corresponding KPH location would not require a different drive gear. I would have thought this would have been Alfa's approach as well, as a different inner marked plate would have been less costly than two different drive gear sets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvesmontreal View Post
The gears that drive the odometers will be different.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
Oops. Add to the "present" list, 10204 01488, 2000 Touring Roadster project

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 07:06 PM

The speedo drive gears in the gearbox are selected according to the rear axle ratio to give 1000 revs per km = 1600 revs per mile; at the other end of the cable the worm gear in the speedo either spins the odometer unit wheel one turn every 1000 revs for a km speedo or every 1600 revs for a miles speedo. The speed pointer doesn't care whether it's miles or km.
post #20 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 06:24 AM

I have the same Miles Per Hour face on my RHD Montreal which came out of Australia. They released the car with a MPH speedo even though Australia had already adopted the Metric System and everything, road signs, etc., had gone to kilometers. They must have made the RHD Jaeger instruments for the UK market, which is the only place still using Miles. Of the 105 odd RHD cars built, about 70 of them went to Australia. This was what I got from Alfa Romeo (Australia), the head office was in Sydney. Some more useless information..!
post #21 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by robo330 View Post
I have the same Miles Per Hour face on my RHD Montreal which came out of Australia. They must have made the RHD Jaeger instruments for the UK market, which is the only place still using Miles.
(in addition to the USA)

That is very interesting that you have a RHD Montreal, from Australia, Karl. I did not notice that you were in Michigan, USA until I saw your post under Don's 'Full Monty'.

There is a speedometer face shown by Rob3375 in post #55 above that is probably just like yours. Rob3375 is in the UK with a LHD Montreal. Perhaps you two would like to work out a trade deal...I guess either way, the driver is always on the driver's side of the car:-)

To post a picture, you need to use some sort of 'hosting site' to store the pictures. They'll give you a link to the photo. Personally, i use http://www.imageshack.us for my images but have had some issues...but when it works it is fine. Here are a bunch of other sites, most are free for basic image hosting. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...6183135AAgAkev

Mark

Last edited by IRONBLOCK; 04-15-2019 at 05:25 PM.
post #22 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 02:36 PM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I store pics on my computer, and post them to the BB as appropriate. Having too many places to store things will most definitely result in lost items and confusion for me. This explains why having multiple garages and tool boxes leads to extra glasses of wine in the evening.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #23 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
This explains why having multiple garages and tool boxes leads to extra glasses of wine in the evening.

Well the tools, light, jack or jack stands needed is always in the "other garage".

Don, please tell how you post photographs directly from your computer. I asked my young son how to post photographs because it would not work directly for me.

I too suspect that the speedometers are the same, just the faces have been changed to confuse the innocent; I have been wrong before though and Yves seems pretty confident. He admitted "The speed pointer doesn't care whether it's miles or km"...which seems to prove our case especially when the MPH speedometer has both scales on the same face.
post #24 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 05:10 PM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
It seems likely that the gearing in the ODO would be different between the two versions of the instrument, but not the speedo.

To post pics to an Alfa BB thread, you click on "Go advanced". There you will see "manage attachments", or something similar. After that you'll find "Browse", where you roam around your computer to locate the desired picture. After selecting the picture, click "upload". You are limited to 5 pictures per post.

My problem in the main shop right now is that I am working on the Montreal, rebuilding two 102 engines, and restoring a dead friend's 1967 Yamaha YL1E. This requires me to have baker's racks taking up space, holding parts for each project. Once I get the bike done, a rack goes away. The largest rack was holding body parts, carpet, etc for the Monty. That rack will be relocated soon. That will leave only the rack for Monty mechanical parts. When I start the spare Monty engine, I'll have to move the big rack back in, and the insanity will return with a vengeance.

Did I mention the 30 year project known as the "Internal Combustion Organ"? That one is a black-op affair, so cannot be discussed further.

So, are you going to amp up on the speedo face/applique project?

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...

Current Alfas

And past...
1946 Luscombe 8A

And present...
Newest in the fleet
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

post #25 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 06:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage
There is a lot of good information here about MPH speedometers but no progress to date. I have a very nice working 'KPH' speedometer cluster (or a tachometer cluster) that I would be willing to trade for a 'MPH' speedometer cluster. Conversely, I'd be interested in a simple MPH overlay that would cling to the face of the speedometer, if anyone has one of those available still; if so please send me a PM. I made my own but it did not turn out very well -so it ended up in the bin.

Mark
post #26 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 02:15 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Mark, this thread started long before I started doing stickers. I've recently created some dry transfers for some 105/115 air cleaners. The company that made them for me told me that they have also created dry transfers for speedometers and tachometers. Sooooooo, if we can get a nice scan of an MPH speedometer face plate, the graphics would be really easy to create. You would need to supply the substrate (plate) to apply the dry transfer to.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #27 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 04:01 AM

on a greek blog discussing a LHD montreal (a black montreal, with yellow on black Calif. plates "V8Alfa".....maybe someone on here?)

there was this version:
(never had that seatbelt light on mine....was that a US thing?)

blog is here if you want to read it
https://www.autoblog.gr/2018/09/07/p...-oi-times-ths/
Attached Images

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #28 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
That is interesting Dom. The Montreal was never imported by Alfa Romeo to the USA, although initial intentions were probably to do just that. I believe Tom Sanor's 1976 Montreal had the seat belt indicator, so perhaps the later cars received them.

My previous cars owner practically had to fight with the 'President' of Alfa Romeo just to get seat belts added to the car when he bought it. (See Bruce's site under 'Asia'/ Paul Severson for his story).

He wanted side mirrors as well but was told "they were not macho"! It has been 47 years without side mirrors and I still can't pull the trigger on my drill to install them; despite buying two sets of mirrors and backing plates that go inside the door or fenders.

Brian, I don't know why did I not think of you for this project? You are perfect for getting this done and done right! I must be slipping a bit. This is probably the best photo that I can come up with but I can photograph my 'metric' speedo and provide dimensions or as you often prefer, I can send it to you!

Name:  105MPHspeedo.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  192.6 KB

You've probably read the thread but we could use a clear plastic film type speedometer overlay with Imperial measurements on the inner ring in yellow. Similar to Dom's photo above but the metric speedo lacks any inner MPH indicators as necessary. I can do the mental calculation pretty fast but it is usually done just after I pass a cop!

Mark

Last edited by IRONBLOCK; 04-11-2019 at 02:14 PM.
post #29 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Would you please let me know what you think? This is what my Metric speedometer looks like:Name:  Speedo Metric.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  222.4 KB
post #30 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:55 PM

Montreal USA spec. Speedo face group buy

Here is the original message in the old forum, 10 years ago:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...messages/22598

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode