The second showcar - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 07:30 PM

Garage
After a lot of searching and very little finding here is a another wheel that is relatively similar to the prototype car's wheels. Not sure what this wheel is called it is sort of similar and has a center cap similar to that of the RB Milano Wheels or Delta Milano wheels:

Name:  Montreal Wheels.jpg
Views: 995
Size:  67.9 KB

I have seen the other ones...

Mark
Attached Images

Last edited by IRONBLOCK; 02-19-2015 at 10:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 04:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davbert View Post
...they made a production version of those rims in 14x6 size. I find them stunning gorgeous.
db
Sixteen months ago Davbert made the above comment which started my Don Quixotic like quest for a set of those RB Milano rims, since I have never been a fan of the Turbina style of wheel or for that matter, of cleaning them and their 32 dirty pockets!

About 6 weeks ago I was surfing eBay Italy, late, late one Friday night or early Saturday morning when an idea came to mind. Under a generic listing for alloy wheels, not one, but two sets of similar wheels showed up! They were made in two widths, 6.0" and 6.5" (both 14" in diameter) versions. Surely I was dreaming right? No; emails were exchanged and translated this went on for several days...

Finally two odd shaped packages that looked like round cardboard boxes arrived. Not the greatest care was taken in packaging but a lot of tape was consumed in the process. The thin sheet of bubble wrap separating the two wheel pairs in the cardboard cylinders had been obliterated, allowing the rims to contact each other and wear off some of the paint. A day or two later with spray gun in hand they were freshly repainted and looking as good as new.

Yesterday 'WL' and I took our maiden voyage in the Montreal with new shoes. Don't worry the Turbinas are neatly stacked up in the back of the workshop where all the "keeper stock" wheels end up.

Want to take a look?

Scroll down a little....

Name:  Montreal RBM-1.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  123.1 KB

Name:  Montreal RB Milano in Hemlocks.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  90.8 KB

Name:  Montreal RBM Reflection.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  104.9 KB
Special thanks to TorW for starting this thread and Davbert for his interesting comment and several following PM's!
Mark

Last edited by IRONBLOCK; 02-15-2015 at 03:47 PM. Reason: added photographs
post #33 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 05:57 PM

Garage
They look very nice Mark. I too saw that listing and contemplated purchasing them. I'm glad you got 'em. Pete.
IRONBLOCK likes this.

1966 GTA replica, 1967 Duetto, 1987 Quadrifoglio
1972, 1973, 1974 Montreal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 06:14 PM

Great wheels
post #35 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 07:02 PM

They look great Mark. A lovely period look.

66' Giulia Super, '67 GT Veloce, '72 Montreal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.montreal.alfa-male.com
post #36 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 02:47 AM

VOW, totally different look to all other wheel - well done Mark !

We girls would say = nice Louboutin's...
hannelore

https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
post #37 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRONBLOCK View Post
Sixteen months ago Davbert made the above comment which started my Don Quixotic like quest for a set of those RB Milano rims, since I have never been a fan of the Turbina style of wheel or for that matter, of cleaning them and their 32 dirty pockets!

About 6 weeks ago I was surfing eBay Italy, late, late one Friday night or early Saturday morning when an idea came to mind. Under a generic listing for alloy wheels, not one, but two sets of similar wheels showed up! They were made in two widths, 6.0" and 6.5" (both 14" in diameter) versions. Surely I was dreaming right? No; emails were exchanged and translated this went on for several days...

Finally two odd shaped packages that looked like round cardboard boxes arrived. Not the greatest care was taken in packaging but a lot of tape was consumed in the process. The thin sheet of bubble wrap separating the two wheel pairs in the cardboard cylinders had been obliterated, allowing the rims to contact each other and wear off some of the paint. A day or two later with spray gun in hand they were freshly repainted and looking as good as new.

Yesterday 'WL' and I took our maiden voyage in the Montreal with new shoes. Don't worry the Turbinas are neatly stacked up in the back of the workshop where all the "keeper stock" wheels end up.

Want to take a look?

Scroll down a little....

Attachment 727425

Attachment 727385

Attachment 727393
Special thanks to TorW for starting this thread and Davbert for his interesting comment and several following PM's!
Mark
Fantastic.... Man you scored! Perhaps I should start looking because I didn't know they came also in 6.5 width. Just incase I might land a monte myself one day.

The car looks as it should now properly replacing the turbina's with something that resembles the 67s proto wheels. I recall gandini saying the Montreal was most frustrating for him as it took so long to bring it to production. It initially started as nimble coupe and became overly complicated heavy gt car. At least these wheels help it to go back to the right direction stylistically speaking.

Perhaps the next step is u to punch out three of side vents for windows? :-)

So glade you found em wheels!

Well done and many thanks for sharing.

Db

Last edited by davbert; 02-16-2015 at 07:20 AM.
post #38 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 05:44 PM

Garage
Delta Milano Wheel label

Would anyone have measurements and a good photograph of the oval gold foil 'Delta' wheel sticker that came on these wheels when they were new? I'd like to have some labels made up but need some help! If you look close you can see the label on the wheel to the left in the photo below.

Name:  Delta wheels in Germany.JPG
Views: 183
Size:  193.8 KB

Also, I've heard that the center caps for Delta Milano wheels have been reproduced and are available from an Alfa group on facebook; can anyone post a link to them?

Mark
davbert and mtbjeff like this.
post #39 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 03:50 AM

Delta Milano Wheel label

Nice wheels Mark! Fits perfectly in your car. Congratulations.
IRONBLOCK likes this.
post #40 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 06:03 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
I posted this picture on various Alfa Romeo groups on Facebook. I've only gotten one reply, but no follow up.
Attached Images

IRONBLOCK likes this.

Brian __________________________________

post #41 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 08:44 AM

Big fan of those rollers !
post #42 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 06:39 PM

Garage
On the back side of the spoke there is a cast version of the 'Delta' logo:

Name:  3f24906e39a3abb5d97e73f0a10fd834_orig.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  83.5 KB

Mark
post #43 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 06:54 PM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
There is no question these are the perfect wheels for the car. Even the prototype wheels weren’t quite right. These perfected the vision.
IRONBLOCK likes this.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
Oops. Add to the "present" list, 10204 01488, 2000 Touring Roadster project

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
post #44 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 04:46 PM

Delta Milano Wheel label

Is this the logo you are looking for?
Attached Images

post #45 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 09:51 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdBorto View Post
Is this the logo you are looking for?
Hi Edgar,

See the gold foil label in post #40 above. It would be a long shot to find an original 'Delta' foil wheel label that has survived over 45 years but there is one out there somewhere. I saw it on eBay and asked the seller for a copy and measurements but received no reply from him in Italy.

I have Delta Milano center caps, although some of mine are reproduction caps, which I understand from Osso, are available through facebook Alfa groups.

Mark

Last edited by IRONBLOCK; 03-21-2019 at 12:21 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode