Stewart McLeod's 1968 London to Sydney in an Alfa - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By alfa2go
  • 1 Post By lonsydlina
  • 2 Post By lonsydlina

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Stewart McLeod's 1968 London to Sydney in an Alfa

With the 50th year anniversary of the 1968 London to Sydney Marathon event a new book has been released. In his new book 'Race across the World', John Smailes, mentions an Alfa Romeo 1750 Berlina entered by Stewart McLeod with C.J. Lock and T.Theiler from Adelaide, Australia (car was obtained from Addison Motors).
Stewart McLeod with Jack Lock campaigned four of the five events in an Alfa Giulia, in the 1968 Australian Rally Championship. In round three the Walkerville 500 Rally (run in South Australia).
As mentioned in the information sheet by the motorsport organization setting the rules 'Under the worst road conditions for years' ... 'The conditions provided heavy rains in the early stages, strong winds, sand, fog and extremely boggy roads.' Stewart McLeod with Jack Lock finished on the podium their best placing 3rd, Fourth round they had engine issues, then they left for London missing the fifth round.

Their Berlina had been shipped to Milan from Adelaide where the factory pulled it apart and did not quite finish putting it together when McLeod's team arrived to pic it up. They took matters into their own hands and finished assembling the car then drove it to London.
I have come across some press photos of the team in London at a dealer/workshop checking the car over prior to the start.(photos miss placed at the moment)
From London, McLeod and the team drove the car to Turkey.
The first special stage Sivas, Turkey to Erzincan: 299km with a time allowed 2h 45mins average speed 109km/hr needed, pg 190.
Stewart McLeod with C.J. Lock and T.Theiler were 16th in their 'self-built Alfa Romeo 1750'... ' they had done an amazing job to fling their car down mountainside to claim sixteenth ahead of the Porsche of Zasada'. (Smailes)
In 16th place the Alfa was considered the second fastest of the privateers, 15th was the first private entry Bob Holden in a works-assisted Volvo. (Smailes)
On page 217 list some where near Kabul? the Alfa Romeo 1750 Berlina was the first of the privateer cars.
I will let you read the book
Cheers Steve

Last edited by Steve105; 01-07-2019 at 03:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 02:31 AM

That car lives in Queensland, a mate owns it. He saved it from the crusher over 10 years ago
Steve105 likes this.

66' Giulia Super, '67 GT Veloce, '72 Montreal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.montreal.alfa-male.com
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 03:24 AM

Garage
I’d love to see it... being a McLeod and all ��

'66 1600 Duetto | '73 1600 GTJunior | '03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon | '11 Giulietta QV (wow, revelation) | I really don't need this many Alfa's...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 03:29 AM Thread Starter

I was not sure if it was still around, that's great.
I have a few media photos of the car and the team while it's in London being checked.
It's South Australian (SA) registration plate was RNJ 544.
There was also a Valiant Safari wagon entered from South Australia, it's registration plate was RKB 690.
Some of the other Australian cars have feature stories listed in issue #1751 of Auto Action.

Last edited by Steve105; 01-04-2019 at 03:46 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 05:10 PM

Hello Stevo I have the berlina and shortly(?)will start a sympathetic resto on it mainly 1/4 panels.I of course are always chasing the history/photos etc on the car but is difficult as there doesn't seem to be many pics.It was featured on the front cover of the mag you mentioned.
It is still remarkably solid.
And yep Craig more than welcome when your up this way
Steve105 likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 06:05 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
What an interesting car to own. And who says Alfas aren't tough and reliable!
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 06:30 PM

I purchased of the 2nd owner who purchased it when it got back to Addisson Motors(interesting story in itself).He rallied it in Victoria and South Oz for a few years and was then used as the sweep vehicle in rallies then used as his daily until 1996 where it retired to his shed.He estimates that it has done in excess of 500000 miles with a few motor rebuilds-and it still runs and drives but not fond of stopping-ill do that last and yep very proud to have it as part of my fleet.Last washed in the last century.
Aggie57 and Steve105 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode