Otto Zipper Motors in California - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb Otto Zipper Motors in California

Hi everyone,

I am interested in Otto Zipper.
He was a car dealer in the Los Angeles area in the 60s who sold Alfas, Ferraris, Porsches and other european sports cars. Is there anything left from his stores or some kind of museum with his old cars?

I read that Otto fled from Austria before WWII and crossed the border with his favorite car. It is rumored that the car had a car mascot (an egyptian princess) and that the mascot is still somewhere in Los Angeles on display.
I am interested in this mascot and would like to take some pictures while I am in LA in 2 weeks.

Any hints are very much appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 03:03 PM

Zipper, not Otto himself, may still be in business in West L.A. Did you 'google' Otto Zipper BMW?

Regards
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 05:11 AM Thread Starter

I have been searching Google up and down but couldn't find any good results.
Can you post your results or a link? Mabye I get different search results as I am still located in Germany.

The only thing I found is a Porsche Dealership on Santa Monica Blvd in Berverly Hills where Zipper used to have his store.
I am not sure if the new staff or managers will be able to tell me something about the place's history.

The other location I found is something on the corner of Wilshire Boulevard and 26th Street in Santa Monica. There used to be a showroom, but according to google maps, there is nothing car-related there besides a gas station.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 11:46 AM

Garage
Isabelle, googling Otto Zipper threads on AlfaBB discussion threads gave several hits that may be useful:

• Somebody who claims to have access to the Otto Zipper family archives in a library in California in this thread. Googling that person's name and following the bread crumbs led me to this list.

• Discussion about a "Otto Zipper Alfa" license plate frame here.

• Discussion of a GTV on eBay that originally may have been sold at Otto Zipper Alfa here -- but, unfortunately, without pictures of the documents that were shown in the auction.

-Ruedi
[SIZE="1"]'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, the car in my avatar, sold as resto project to Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).[/SIZE]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode