I wrote a book about the Giulietta "116" - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By ItalianWriter
  • 1 Post By Jacques-Pierre

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

I wrote a book about the Giulietta "116"

Strange case, that of the Giulietta "116"... Built in almost 400k units, loved by many who owned it or still own it now, yet no book had ever been dedicated to it.
This fact was made even more strange by the books published about the Alfetta and 75, cars intimately related with the 1977 Giulietta. Well, this has changed.

I wrote the book about the Giulietta, the book that wasn't there... Until yesterday!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1983393746...0760_150889320

I traveled to Arese to see the historical archives, I asked help to many users of this very forum, especially regarding the mysterious South African cars, re-read all the Alfa books I got in my collection... And it's all in these 66 pages.
I dedicate it to the men and women who built the legend of Alfa Romeo, and here I want to thank all the people who helped me, chiefly Toy and Greig of this forum, for their help.
I really hope you'll enjoy it, as it's my first book as well!
rogerspeed, ghnl and Lokki like this.

Please enjoy my videos and subscribe to my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/RoadsterLifeVideo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 02:55 AM

Hi Matteo, what great news this is! I have ordered mine yesterday on Amazon.

As a 116 Giulietta owner I have always wondered why they are so forgotten in the Alfa Romeo community. I just love my 1985 2.0 Executive, possibly a South Africa only model.

I really look forward to delivery.

Thank you very much indeed.
ItalianWriter likes this.

Jacques
1973 Giulia Super 1.3, 1985 Giulietta 2L, 1996 155 TS 16v Super.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques-Pierre View Post
Hi Matteo, what great news this is! I have ordered mine yesterday on Amazon.

As a 116 Giulietta owner I have always wondered why they are so forgotten in the Alfa Romeo community. I just love my 1985 2.0 Executive, possibly a South Africa only model.

I really look forward to delivery.

Thank you very much indeed.
Thank you for your interest in my first book... I really hope you liked it!
The Giulietta 2.0 was available in Europe as well, but not badged "executive"... Alfa Romeo SA did some interesting "specials", but sadly they are tricky to research, as no records survived.

Please enjoy my videos and subscribe to my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/RoadsterLifeVideo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 11:53 AM

Garage
Funny, I was just coming in to find the correct forum to ask about this Giulietta, which I have never seen in the US. We never got them, and I know nothing about them. Were they popular? A good car? They had clean lines in the context of the 80s.

Name:  alfa_romeo_giulietta_80s.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  42.1 KB

1967 1600 Spider
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivace View Post
Funny, I was just coming in to find the correct forum to ask about this Giulietta, which I have never seen in the US. We never got them, and I know nothing about them. Were they popular? A good car? They had clean lines in the context of the 80s.

Attachment 1553384
Well, if you want to know pretty much all about them... You'll have to get my book
Anyway, to answer your questions: the Giulietta was an excellent car, being an Alfetta with a slightly shorter body. Its design was quite modern at the time of its introduction in 1977, and the 75/Milano was... A heavy restyling of the Giulietta itself!
Italy and South Africa were the markets that bought more Giuliettas, and the car sold very well by Alfa Romeo standards: a little under 400k units in its 7 years on the market.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 01:49 PM

Garage
Thanks for the note - yes, I obviously need to buy the book!

I see now the close similarity in the door and upper door structure with the 75 - so interesting.

It feels like this car had a lot of market overlap with the Alfetta sedan, if it's essentially the same chassis underneath. Was it a lower cost option for specific markets? The Alfetta sedan was the top model and this slotted in underneath it in price?

1967 1600 Spider
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 12:11 PM

Garage
By the way, Sir - your blog is so good!

In fact, some of my questions can be answered here!...it sounds as though there was corporate turmoil at the time and some odd decisions and market overlap.
https://www.roadster-life.com/blog/r...omeo-giulietta

Interesting to compare the relative elegance of the Alfetta sedan to the less clean lines of the 116 Giulietta when side by side. Maybe the nose could have used some help as well.

Thanks for this insight!

< EDIT > .. Oh, I see there were different eras of updated nose and headlight, ahh..I need the book!

Name:  34567957522_db62846e4b_b.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  133.2 KB

A lot of 75 in the center section and roof.

1967 1600 Spider

Last edited by Vivace; 03-01-2019 at 12:20 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 07:55 PM

They were also sold in Australia. Here’s a photo taken last month at Sandown Park in Melbourne. John Floyd, long time Alfa club member has owned and raced it for years.
Attached Images

Alister
1973 105 GTV (Alfa #6 of 19 owned)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 05:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks for the note - yes, I obviously need to buy the book!

I see now the close similarity in the door and upper door structure with the 75 - so interesting.

It feels like this car had a lot of market overlap with the Alfetta sedan, if it's essentially the same chassis underneath. Was it a lower cost option for specific markets? The Alfetta sedan was the top model and this slotted in underneath it in price?
Actually the doors of the Giulietta were carried over to the 75 unchanged: the characteristic side plastic moulding of the 75 was "invented" to cleverly disguise the carryover doors and visually raise the belt-line

The Giulietta the Giulia replacement, in the original Alfa Romeo plans... But yes it ended up making internal competition to the lower end of the Alfetta range, as the only real differences were look and trunk capacity.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 05:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
By the way, Sir - your blog is so good!

In fact, some of my questions can be answered here!...it sounds as though there was corporate turmoil at the time and some odd decisions and market overlap.
https://www.roadster-life.com/blog/r...omeo-giulietta
Thank you! Glad you appreciate it

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianWriter View Post
Actually the doors of the Giulietta were carried over to the 75 unchanged: the characteristic side plastic moulding of the 75 was "invented" to cleverly disguise the carryover doors and visually raise the belt-line

The Giulietta the Giulia replacement, in the original Alfa Romeo plans... But yes it ended up making internal competition to the lower end of the Alfetta range, as the only real differences were look and trunk capacity.
The quality of materials in the early cars was also noticeably lower than the contemporary Alfetta. Alfa fixed that to a large extent in the later 1.8 and 2.0 models, progressively adding better quality plastics and interior trim.

Alister
1973 105 GTV (Alfa #6 of 19 owned)
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 03:23 PM

Garage
I wrote a book about the Giulietta &quot;116&quot;

Bought and read it, the ultimate book on the 116 Giulietta.

Thank you for writing it. It is really well structured, with the historic context and the detailed information on the production. Congratulations.

This one is my Giulietta:
Attached Images

Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.8 (116) - 1983

Last edited by Edgar Guerra; 04-22-2019 at 05:20 AM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 05:11 AM Thread Starter

Wow, congratulations for your beautiful Giulietta. I'm glad you appreciated my literary homage to it!

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 03:26 AM Thread Starter

Giulietta Video

I'm posting it here, given the video is somehow linked to my book
enjoy!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode