1939 6C Compressore - ex Mussolini - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 09:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ccorsa View Post
The alleged supercharged car that is shown in the link at the beginning of this thread has a completely different body.

I'm also curious what you might expect to see from the outside that would indicate a blown car.
Not really from the outside of the car, but a quick look into the engine compartment would show if teh car had an intake manifold that was suited to a blower or not. The car in the 1975 photos appears to have always had the single carb setup, as it looks original to the car to me.

Last edited by dretceterini; 10-15-2007 at 09:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dretceterini View Post
Great photos. I have no idea where the car is now. It must be a VERY early 2500. You didn't happen to get the S/N did you??...
No, I wasn't into serial numbers back then. But according to 411.com, Ron Keno still lives in Mohawk, NY and I'll bet that he still has the car.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 08:55 AM

That car actually looks an awful lot like the car that was at the Imperial Palace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by technobob View Post
No, I wasn't into serial numbers back then. But according to 411.com, Ron Keno still lives in Mohawk, NY and I'll bet that he still has the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 11:07 AM

The Touring-bodied cars of that era all had a similar look. The Imperial Palace car was described as a 6C2300. The Keno car is a 6C2500.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 04:33 PM

Imperial Palace Collection

My notes indicate that the Imperial Palace had two cars and may still have one. No mention of a 6C2300 in my files, so perhaps there is/was another?

915005 (SuperSport conversion #5) ... > Imperial Palace(?) > last known in Netherlands

915033 (Sport) ex Claretta Petacci > Keno > Imperial Palace

Neither was supercharged.

John de Boer
The Italian Car Registry

Last edited by iicarJohn; 11-18-2007 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Added question mark as appropriate.
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 07:52 AM

I may have misspoken in my reply to Cris, and you, italcarguy, may be right. I was working from memory...which is not a good thing! I have gobs of photos and links at home and work, and so far haven't been able to substantiate the 6C2300 at Imperial Palace. So I'll concede the point gracefully and bow to yours and Cris' better information. I know from your other posts that you have pretty good data at your fingertips! But if I come across my photo or other reference to a 6C2300 at IP, I'll post it.

On the Imperial Palace website somewhere, there's a 6C2500 berlinetta for sale (or was, recently) claiming SN 915030. No mention of Mussolini or Petacci in the description. Was your #915033 a typo or was there website wrong and the number is actually 030? If both of are correct, do you have a photo of 033?

In their "sold" listing, two 6C2500s are listed, one simply a 1939 Alfa Romeo and the other a 1939 Alfa Romeo 6C2500. Perhaps duplicate entries on their part? No photos or details at all for either car.

And in older links to IP or elsewhere, I've not been able to find any photos or other info on the Mussolini car that reportedly was or is in their possession, so I have at this time no idea what it looks like.
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 12:01 PM

Imperial Palace AR6C followup

My notes and records are certainly not complete so I appreciate input. That is one main reason why I share lists. The hope is always to stimulate input. It is not to say "This is the way it was, period." I don't expect our knowledge will ever become complete enough or definitive enough in all ways to say that we know it all, done, finito. In fact, even amongst the things we think we know, there is the occasional "oops" based on a mistaken assumption somewhere in the chain. All we can do at that point is correct the former error and try to explain it, best done if the nature of the confusion can be determined.

With that in mind, looking again at my notes:

915005 is not certain to have been through Imperial Palace as I have it listed as "Imperial Palace?" in the chain of ownership. Note the question mark that I missed in my hasty scan of the listing yesterday. There is the chance that 915033 was mistaken as 915005 at some point.

915033 is definitely the "ex-Petacci" car that was at Imperial Palace for some time. It is not a stretch to think that it came as a gift from "Mussolini and was therefor referred to at times as "ex-Mussolini". I should say: "claimed ex-Claretta Petacci"!

If Imperial Palace also offered and sold 915030, then the reports that Malcolm Harris and Charlie Harris sold that car would seem to be true. It is not claimed to be "ex Mussolini" nor does it have a supercharger. As a point of interest that may allude to additional history, it was discovered having quite a number of Czech parts in it.

As an aside, I would not be surprised to find that a 6C2300 or 6C2500 was fitted "in period" with a supercharger for road use by someone somewhere. Perhaps even for a minor race somewhere even though I don't recall seeing any trace of that in data collected on a lot of obscure events.

However, NOT FOR RACING IN ANY MAJOR EVENT IN ITALY! The racing rules of the late 1930's forbade the use of superchargers in all but GP (formula) style events. There were free formula events here and there ... so there is always a possibility ...

All the best.

John de Boer
The Italian Car Registry

Last edited by iicarJohn; 01-24-2010 at 11:31 PM. Reason: I should say: "claimed ex-Claretta Petacci"!
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 06:40 PM

I'll try in the future to be more accurate and shoot less from the hip, lest I be the source of any misinformation.

Do you have a photo of 915033, the ex-Petacci car that was at IP, or a link to one?

Last edited by technobob; 05-06-2008 at 08:42 AM.
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 01:30 AM

Ex Petacci car locally restored and shown Padova ´07.

Björn Tiedemann
Attached Images

post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 11:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by iicarJohn View Post
If Imperial Palace also offered and sold 915030, then the reports that Malcolm Harris and Charlie Harris sold that car would seem to be true.
John, FYI: The car is currently still in the auto collection and for sale (see here). It must have been for sale for a while. I took the attched pictures a year ago with my cell phone.
Attached Images

-Ruedi
[SIZE="1"]'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, the car in my avatar, sold as resto project to Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).[/SIZE]
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 04:59 AM

The picture of the Petacci car that Björn posted looks more like the car I remember seeing at the IP in 1996. The IP's current 6c is definitely not the same car. I have seen it a few times (I am friends with the owner of the collection) and it only came to them within the past few years.
That said, I seem to recall the car the Mussolini-related car being very distinct in some ways (the Petacci car looks very similar to the green 6c.) I think it's featured in a book my dad has about the IP collection and will ask him to look it up.
If I recall correctly, the Mussolini car was listed as being a gift from Il Duce to his mistress, maybe?
Cris
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenne View Post
Ex Petacci car locally restored and shown Padova ´07.

Björn Tiedemann
Thanks for the photo, Bjorn. The old girl's come a long way!
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 07:59 AM

Hi

Mussolini's mistress car is alive and well in totally original condition and patina. It's
a 2300 Pescara. It's not for sale. It's very beautiful.

Best
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 09:27 AM

More than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napolis View Post
Hi

Mussolini's mistress car is alive and well in totally original condition and patina. It's
a 2300 Pescara. It's not for sale. It's very beautiful.
Then at least two cars are attributed to Petacci. The one I saw in NY was definitely a 6C2500 and I have a photo of the badge to confirm. What I do not have is concrete confirmation of the attribution other than the news story about it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode