Luigi Fusi book - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

Luigi Fusi book

Hi All

Does anyone know how many editions of the Luigi Fusi book were printed? Are they all the same, with the exception of the later editions obviously having the newer models in them?

I just bought the first edition on ebay. It was listed as 1978 edition, in English and Italian, in as new condition.

It was 'buy it now' for 24.99GBP, which I thought is maybe a bit of a bargain?? So I jumped on it!

It was a hassle though, as it required immediate payment, and the seller only had shipping rates listed for the UK, so I couldn't complete the transaction. Strangely, the seller was in the same small town as Alfaholics, so I thought...."I know, I'll ask the seller to drop it into Max, and surely he won't mind posting it to me!". But then I remembered those guys are all at Concorso Italiano and are closed until next week. But thankfully I have friends in the UK, who now have a Luigi Fusi book on its way to them. Hope they don't mind posting it on to me

Damien

'74 GTV 2000 - gone but not forgotten
'70 1750 Berlina - Project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo105 View Post
Hi All

Does anyone know how many editions of the Luigi Fusi book were printed? Are they all the same, with the exception of the later editions obviously having the newer models in them?

I just bought the first edition on ebay. It was listed as 1978 edition, in English and Italian, in as new condition.

It was 'buy it now' for 24.99GBP, which I thought is maybe a bit of a bargain?? So I jumped on it!

It was a hassle though, as it required immediate payment, and the seller only had shipping rates listed for the UK, so I couldn't complete the transaction. Strangely, the seller was in the same small town as Alfaholics, so I thought...."I know, I'll ask the seller to drop it into Max, and surely he won't mind posting it to me!". But then I remembered those guys are all at Concorso Italiano and are closed until next week. But thankfully I have friends in the UK, who now have a Luigi Fusi book on its way to them. Hope they don't mind posting it on to me

Damien
The 1978 one is the third and last edition. The first one was in 1965. I recommend you check carefully whether the offer on eBay wasn't for a scan of the book on CD or any kind of self-made reprint. It is said that during the late 80s/early 90s, a batch of facsimile, identical in any aspect to the 1978 edition, was reprinted. Was then for sale at the Italian specialized place in the 75 euros range.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 07:21 AM

Garage
as GTV2000 mentions, it is the last edition.....if it is the real thing, you got yourself a SUPER bargain!!!!

Peter

Currently: '65 Giulia TI

Previously:
'76 Alfasud Ti/'75 GT Junior/'87 Alfa 33
'91 Alfa 75/'95 Alfa 164/'79 Alfa Spider '69 Euro 1750 GTV, '67 Duetto, '84 Spider Veloce
'91 164L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

It's certainly not a CD or scan copy, it's the book. Whether it's an original as claimed, or a reprinted fake remains to be seen I guess. The seller has 100% positive feedback, and seems to deal in a lot of aviation memorabilia and books.

post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

Here's the text from the listing:

Alfa Romeo - All Cars From 1910 (Emmeti Grafica) - 1st Edition Hard Back Format

This book is a technical and historical "document", illustrating meticulously the constant development of a great latin industry, it contains within it's pages, the histroy of the touring, sporting and racing cars, allowing the lamen a better knowledge of the entensive and almost immortal field of Alfa Romeo's ancestory. In English and Italian.

This is a VERY VERY RARE book!.

This large hardback book has 875 pages
This item is as new and in immaculate condition. One copy only.

And the pic from the listing:
Attached Images

post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 07:27 AM

It seems unbelievable to find a copy of Fusi's bible for such a low price!
I remember when i bought my copy it was a bit of a pain even though i don't remember the exact figure i paid.
If it's the real thing, you are super lucky. The book has lots lots of information. According to some people, some data are not 100% accurate but even if it's true the book is a piece of history by alone!

edit after the pic posted:
The book is in very very good condition. This could be good but it could also be a bad thing. Please ask the seller confirm that the book is not a reprint or something!

Last edited by Tubolare Zagato; 08-15-2007 at 07:29 AM.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

I guess even if it is a reprint, for the money I paid it's worth it to me to have the information that it contains.

post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 07:55 AM

Quote:
I guess even if it is a reprint, for the money I paid it's worth it to me to have the information that it contains.
That's true!
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 08:13 AM

Luigi Fusi Book

Quote:

This book is a technical and historical "document", illustrating meticulously the constant development of a great latin industry, it contains within it's pages, the histroy of the touring, sporting and racing cars, allowing the lamen a better knowledge of the entensive and almost immortal field of Alfa Romeo's ancestory. In English and Italian.

I'm not positive, but I believe the one shown is a later edition. I have the one pictured and I have another one that has a blue dust jacket, which I think is the older edition. One of them is autographed, I think it's the blue one.

I'm not where I can pull both copies and look at the differences, including copyright.

Cheryl
(Not an authority nor SME on anything, just PATSYF)
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 08:47 AM
Gold Subscriber

I also have the one pictured and it is the 1978 (Third) Edition. It has a printed autograph on the title page. I bought it new about 20 years ago at a cost well above the equivalent of 24.99GBP.

Bob Cess
'59 Giulietta Sprint
'60 Giulietta Berlina
'62 Giulietta Spider
'69 Spider Veloce
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 09:05 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
You got a great deal. Don't worry about the immediate payment. Just send a nice email to the seller asking for shipping charges. Congrats on the nice find.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 09:08 AM

Quote:

I belive the edition with that cover was reprinted a couple of times, and the most recent edition is circa 1984. The first edition haqs a blue/grey cover and is smaller in size.
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 05:53 PM

Garage
Excellent buy, Damien! I think the seller didn't understand the value of the book and is probably an amateur: S/he didn't even list the author's name in the auction title (see here). I bought my copy (also a 1978 3rd Edition which looks more worn than yours) for $150 about 5 years ago on eBay and thought I got a deal (as I've seen some copies sell for up to $500). You can smile every time you look at it.

-Ruedi
[SIZE="1"]'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, the car in my avatar, sold as resto project to Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).[/SIZE]
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 06:45 PM

Fusi

I bought a copy of the 1978 edition as soon as it was available (paid about $60). Here is what the dust cover looks like, and the author's autograph.
Attached Images

Last edited by yvesmontreal; 08-15-2007 at 06:47 PM. Reason: attachments
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

I asked the seller if it was an original book or a reprint, and he said it's a 1978 edition, which seems to correspond with what others here are saying.

From the text in the listing he seems to understand it's a rare book, which makes me wonder why he didn't know it's value.

Anyway, time will tell if it's genuine or fake I guess.

Damien

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode