Luigi Fusi book - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 04:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubolare Zagato View Post
Damo, you're a bit lucky lately..
Could you find Tabucchi's "Alfa Romeo GTA" book for a similar price or at least somewhere less or at $100 for me?
Theo...

If I find Tabucchi's book for a bargain price I'll be keeping it for myself! But if I find two, then you'll be the first person I offer the second one to

'74 GTV 2000 - gone but not forgotten
'70 1750 Berlina - Project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 04:26 AM

Any relation to Jesus Christ?
post #33 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 11:08 AM

Luigi Fusi Book / Alfa Romeo GTA by Tabuchhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubolare Zagato View Post
Damo, you're a bit lucky lately..
Could you find Tabucchi's "Alfa Romeo GTA" book for a similar price or at least somewhere less or at $100 for me?
Here are some quick search results; as you will see not within the price range that you are requesting, although TE Worth is always one of the highest....$100 was the average price for this book in 2004.

l. . Alfa Romeo GTA (Italian text)
Tabucchi M
Nada 1994 8879111329 Hardbound PLEASE NOTE, BOOK IS NOT IN STOCK (DO NOT ADD TO SHOPPING CART). WE WILL BE HAPPY TO FIND A COPY FOR YOU. PRICE WILL BE AS SHOWN OR MORE PLUS A $20 SEARCH FEE. PLEASE CLICK ''OFFLINE SEARCH SERVICE'' AND ENTER BOOK DETAILS. 304 pages

Price: 300.00 USD

I also looked at these, all who had none in stock:

Abe Books
Fred Chapparo
Biblio.com
Albiris (you can fill out a fetch form and they will notify you if and when one is in stock)
Moto.lit and several other speciality automotive book sellers
Bookfinder.com
Amazon.com (worldwide)
Opendoorbooks.com (also have a form where they will search for you)
Motorbooksitaliano.com

The "sort of good news:"

Chater's Motoring Booksellers had at least one in stock this a.m. at 80. lbs. sterling plus shipping which translates to $159.36 U.S. at an exchange rate of 1 GBP = 1.99169 USD. However, I have no idea what the price would be in Australia's or Greece's currency.

HTH.

Cheryl
(Not an authority nor SME on anything, just PATSYF)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 04:54 PM

Luigi Fusi Book / Rare Book Theft

Speaking of book thieves, read about Stephen Blumberg who stole only rare books from archives, museums, and universities, including the entire Cotton Mather collection from the University of Connecticut. He believed it was his life mission to collect all the rare books and preserve them for mankind. As the books began to pile up, he stored them shelved floor to ceiling in a house in Ohio. His downfall, needing an accomplice to help steal the CM collection, who sold him out to the FBI when he was "busted" on a drug charge.

OCLC produced a video about him and his thefts: "The Omaha Project: A Rare Book Adventure" available via ILL from your favorite local library. Court TV has also featured it as one of their episodes.

Cheryl
post #35 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 08:31 AM

Could anybody tell me from which year is the second edition of Fusi book?
It´s clear that first edition is from 1965 and the third one from 1978, but nobody seems have took in his hands the second edition.

Regards from Menorca Island in Spain.

Last edited by stelvio; 05-29-2014 at 09:03 AM.
post #36 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-04-2014, 02:56 AM

Fusi

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelvio View Post
It´s clear that first edition is from 1965 and the third one from 1978, but nobody seems have took in his hands the second edition.

Hi,
i have one of the third Edition, but I don´t know the year.
Jürgen Döhren
post #37 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 12:53 PM

Garage
Out of Sale Edition

After reading this thread and comparing to my own book - I have a 3rd Edition - but it is not stated as on the pictures posted before - but it‘s called „EDIZIONE FUORI COMMERCIO - OUT OF SALE EDITION“
Is it an further edition after the 3rd.?
Attached Images

________
Marcel - '68 GTA 1300 Junior, ex Zetor Racing Brno
post #38 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 03:06 PM

"Out of Sale Edition"

I suspect that your copy is a promotional version of the third edition, perhaps part of an overage (scheduled or not?) of the scheduled print run? It appears that you have a Fusi signature bleeding through from the reverse side of the title page? I am attaching scans of the first three pages of the chassis number appendix from my copy of the Third Edition with some layout (typography?) errors marked. If your pages 835-837 match the original ink of mine, then that will generally confirm this suspicion. There are other legacy errors in these pages that I've not marked. Some scans of a 1935 listing from Alfa Romeo will be shared in the near future. It will show a large number of similar errors and will illustrate how incomplete Alfa Romeo's own coverage was, long before many documents were reportedly destroyed during WWII.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Fusi-1978-ThirdEditionAppendix-pages835-837.pdf (603.5 KB, 261 views)
donrencos likes this.
post #39 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 01:38 AM
Darth Moderator
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Hello John

My Edition printed in 1978 matches yours, thank you for the corrections, I've added them to mine. Fusi has quite a few little mistakes as we all know, I suspect that while Luigi's name is on the front cover and he took the credit (and the money), some nameless clerk worked tirelessly trawling through the archives to compile all of this information and laboriously typed it all down manually - probably on an Olivetti typewriter. I doubt that whoever they were had an in-depth knowledge of the marque and hence the myriad of little mistakes that crept in.

The Fusi book is all about learning how to read & interpret it, I'm still learning 25+ years later. Despite the hiccups we all owe Luigi & his clerk a great deal of gratitude .

Ciao
Greig
post #40 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 04:14 AM

Garage
Thank you, checked it - it’s the same

________
Marcel - '68 GTA 1300 Junior, ex Zetor Racing Brno
post #41 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 10:26 PM

Luigi Fusi Book

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelvio View Post

I have the 1965 first edition, the 1974 second edition, and the 1978 third edition.

Cheryl
post #42 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 01:48 PM

From the archives of Art Wennerstrom, here is a two-page listing (dated 6 June 1935) from Alfa Romeo of cars produced from 1 January 1924 to 24 December 1934. This chart (or a derivative?) was clearly used by Fusi as a starting point for an early portion of his appendix but he made some corrections while also making some additional errors. This list is highly flawed and many chassis/engine number ranges for cars built 1924 to 1934 are missing completely. There are also some "1934" 6C2300 cars listed here that were not completed until 1935. We've been told that many records were destroyed during World War II, perhaps due to bomb-damages inflicted by Allied bombers. From A.T. Anselmi's work documenting the 6C2500, we know that some records exist beginning July 1942. Before that, I believe there are inaccurate charts, a few specific records that have described certain individual examples … and a lot of semi-educated guesses.

My work, "The Italian Car Registry" seeks to describe each car individually when a record is found either at Alfa Romeo or from other sources. Some recent additions have come from a lengthy series of documents dated 1947 showing cars, trucks and buses (and all sorts of other items) declared taken from Italian citizens by the German Armed Forces during the war. That document, although undoubtedly incomplete, describes a number of Alfa Romeo cars, trucks and buses. As a result, there are some Alfa Romeo chassis/engine numbers not described by Fusi's simplified charts.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 1924-1934=produzioneAR-dated6 June1935.pdf (865.7 KB, 51 views)
post #43 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 03:48 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Zagato_Olaf
Editions of Fusi 'bible'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Braden View Post
I have the 1965 first edition, the 1974 second edition, and the 1978 third edition.
Dear fellow members,

There are three editions, just as Cheryl indicated.
However, the third edition was reprinted at least once on different paper.
I have a 6 centimeter thick 3rd edition and a 5 centimeter thick 3rd edition printed on thinner and different paper.
Luigi Fusi didn't know about that reprint and found out some years later.

Ciao, Olaf

Olaf Roeten a.k.a. Zagato_Olaf, Bussum, The Netherlands
post #44 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 09:03 AM
Gold Subscriber

OK, I am going to revisit this, just to muddy the waters a bit.

I have an early looking version of this book that clearly says 2nd edition.

The latest date I can find in it is nel gennaio 1966- (in January 1966).
It is on the last page in the book with any printing on it.

No date is shown in the front of the book.
It does not look to be from 1974.

Thoughts?
Attached Images

Alfa Club of the Rockies.... Join today!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by skiwalk; 05-10-2019 at 09:08 AM.
post #45 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 01:10 AM

Hi all,

There does seem to be some confusion here, and it is with some trepidation I comment my research seems to contradict many well known experts....

My understanding is that the first edition was printed in 1965, as evidenced by this ad.... https://www.ebay.it/itm/143217913575
There is no indiction that it is the first edition because no-one would know if a subsequent edition would appear.

I like Skiwalk have second edition - as previous post. This clearly states that - "Finito di stampare nel gennaio 1966" - which according to google translate - "Finished printing in January 1966". I conclude the 2 edition followed on very quickly from the first, seemingly months!

My second copy, the well documented type with Fusi's "signature" has "Terza Edizione , Third Edition" printed together with "Copyright C 1978".

So I am unclear how a 1974 one is a so-called 'second edition', could someone with a copy please post details?

Richard

PS.
Just to clear up a long ago posting about cost and printing, viz Prezzo L. 8.000 = Lira 8,000, this still causes me confusion because the 'dot' is still used in Italy with Euro....the simple explanation is that Italians swap over the use of the dot and comma! Others use the comma to denote thousands, Italian the dot, and we use the dot to differentiate between whole pounds and any pence. In Italy E1.234,56 elsewhere E1,234.56
Zagato_Olaf likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode