Luigi Fusi book - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 08:46 PM

Garage
I have two copies of the 1963 Second Edition which has the bluish/grey cover, one of which is personally signed by Cav. Fusi. The 1963 editions didn't come signed, so if anyone has a signed copy then you have something special. I also have a copy of the red/white 1978 3rd edition. The 1978 first editions were a short run, but I don't know how many that would have been. I personally have never seen a 2nd edition. Most of the ones that are available are 3rd editions. I had at one time a first edition, but it slipped out of my hands so to speak. My red/white has a printed signature on the front page and on the opposite page has a glued in sticker with a real signature with the initials L.D.A. I am not sure what that means, maybe Cheryl can clarify.

Is there any source that can tell how many copies of a book have been printed other than the printer?

Someone got a real deal on a Fusi book!

I have all of Sr. Fusi's books with the exception of the 6c1750 edition to complete the collection.
There was recently on Ebay a copy of Le Grande Alfa Romeo which was a limited printing, that went for a nice price. I have seen the Tipo A book for sale, and should be available, which was his last book from what I understand, but could be wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

velocedoc - I'm a bit confused. From your comments, do I interpret that the 1978 edition was a reprint of the 1st edition?

From what others have said I interpreted it to be the 3rd edition, but the ebay seller listed it as a "1978 first edition".

Although I don't really mind, I'm just happy to have bought a copy of the Fusi book for a bargain price. It eases the pain of the hit I took on the Aussie stockmarket today!

'74 GTV 2000 - [COLOR="Blue"]LeMans Blue [/COLOR]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'70 1750 Berlina - Biancospino. Project
'75 2000 Berlina - parts car
MY11 Skoda Octavia RS wagon - daily driver
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 06:46 AM

No, the third (red-white) edition is an updated one!
I will check for more info when i return home.

Theo
Alfa Romeo 2000 GT Veloce, 22 July 1971, #1803
+ an Echidna into my mind...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 09:01 AM

Okay, I had to check my copy. Here is what Fusi says the difference is.
Attached Images

post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 09:11 AM

Luigi Fusi Book

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvesmontreal View Post
I bought a copy of the 1978 edition as soon as it was available (paid about $60). Here is what the dust cover looks like, and the author's autograph.
My best guess, is that the book which is posted within this post by yvesmontreal, with a dust cover and a machined autograph, meaning not individually signed by the author, is a "first" edition of the 1978 updated edition of the original work that was published earlier.

There are several ways that publisher's indicate "first" edition of an item: "First Edition," the series of numbers "0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9," and the lack of imprint of any edition information meaning the second edition would say second edition or printing or would show dates: 1963, 1965, 1978 etc.

I guess, I actually have three copies of this book, the 1978 edition I found this a.m. is a third edition without a machined or individually signed autograph, but it does have some personal correspondence in it between Luigi Fusi and Pat. This is the copy that Pat used most and still has his tabbed pages in it with post it notes and additional notes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocedoc View Post
I have two copies of the 1963 Second Edition which has the bluish/grey cover, one of which is personally signed by Cav. Fusi. The 1963 editions didn't come signed, so if anyone has a signed copy then you have something special. I also have a copy of the red/white 1978 3rd edition. The 1978 first editions were a short run, but I don't know how many that would have been. I personally have never seen a 2nd edition. Most of the ones that are available are 3rd editions. I had at one time a first edition, but it slipped out of my hands so to speak. My red/white has a printed signature on the front page and on the opposite page has a glued in sticker with a real signature with the initials L.D.A. I am not sure what that means, maybe Cheryl can clarify.
Cheryl, clarify anything, certainly you must be kidding? You ought to know by now I confuse issues by digging up conflicting information and citing it.

As far as the older edition of Fusi's work with the 1910 title, my actual book cover is plain bluish/grey w/o graphics or words; it has a bluish/grey dust cover with the graphics and wording on it similar to that of the later edition red/white book shown in an earlier post. My book is copyrighted October (in Italian) 1965, shows Milan as the city, and does not show an edition number. So if they were originally published in 1963, mine is not a first edition. My book has an original gold embossed sticker in the inside of the back cover that has the word price in Italian and shows 8.000 preceded with an L or something that looks similar, but not the British pound sign. On the title page in edition to Pat's embossed library stamp there is an embossed stamp in Italian that has the initials ISIA in the middle, as I recall, and has the representative words spelled out in Italian around it. If you want to see the stamp or words I can either scan them or post them.

This copy is not autographed but has some Bugatti information in Italian in it that Pat put there apparently for safe keeping.

The third copy of the book is the one that I could not locate this a.m., the autographed one. I'm going to guess, it is like the 1978 edition posted with the machined autograph, unless I have another bluish/grey one that is autographed, which is my recollection, which could be wrong. It's hard for me to remember every detail of every book in Pat's library, especially with some duplicate titles that were purchased for different reasons.

Quote:
Is there any source that can tell how many copies of a book have been printed other than the printer?
Certainly, the author would know. Pat always got a statement of when a book was going back on the presses and how many copies were printed. You could also get a rough estimate if you had access to the number of books that royalties were paid on; however, you have to take into account from that figure, damaged and returned books, discards, and misprints etc.

Quote:
Someone got a real deal on a Fusi book!
I agree, collectible book prices are very high especially for out-of-print items and escalated even more by condition, who owned the copy previously, subject to documentation, and if they are "individually" autographed; and further depending on the buyer, a personalized inscription can either add or detract from the value. In my case as a collector, it normally adds rather than detracts from the value because of the story it tells based on documentation of who the person was and any connection to the author.

Cheryl
(Not an authority nor SME on anything, just PATSYF)
post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 11:28 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Braden View Post
My book has an original gold embossed sticker in the inside of the back cover that has the word price in Italian and shows 8.000 preceded with an L or something that looks similar, but not the British pound sign.
It probably is the Lira sign. The British Pound sign is while the Italian Lira sign is ₤.

-Ruedi
[SIZE="1"]'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, the car in my avatar, sold as resto project to Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).[/SIZE]

Last edited by tubut; 08-16-2007 at 11:30 AM.
post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the information folks, especially to you Cheryl for the level of detail you always go to the trouble of including! If I'm going to be thoroughly confused, I like to be thoroughly confused by LOTS of information

It sounds like the book I bought is a first print of the 1978 edition. Can't wait for it to arrive in the mail in a week or so!

Though I now have a new dilemma. With copies of the Fusi book and the Tony Adriansen GTA book, I better photograph them and get a valuation estimate for insurance purposes. But who could provide a valuation on such niche books?

Damien

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 07:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubut View Post
It probably is the Lira sign. The British Pound sign is while the Italian Lira sign is ₤.
Yes, 8000 lira at 625 to the dollar, or $12.80 US. Quite expensive for a car book in 1965.
post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 09:05 PM

Luigi Fusi Book

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo105 View Post
Thanks for all the information folks, especially to you Cheryl for the level of detail you always go to the trouble of including! If I'm going to be thoroughly confused, I like to be thoroughly confused by LOTS of information
Damien
You're welcome....a couple of corrections or additions about the 1965 bluish/grey edition followed by the 1978 third edition. I should learn not to write w/o the book in front of me. The bluish/grey dust cover has the quadifoligo leaf, the title, All the Cars from 1910 in Italian, and white line drawings of various cars going across the dust jacket, front and back, with the red cross on the reverse of the dust jacket near the spine and the green snake where the cross parts intersect or are perpendicular.

It is totally in Italian. The letters embossed on the title page are: SIAE in the center of the medallion with the words around them in Italian: Societa Italiana Degli or Degu Autori ED Editori + IH + . The last + sign is between IH and Societa as you read it in a circle. It was hard to read, I had to use a loop so it may not be totally correct but as good as I can get with what I can see.

On the 1978 Third Edition, it is both in English and Italian on some pages, like mirror images; in other places in the book, primarily with schematics and diagrams it is totally in Italian. In addition to the correspondence, there is also a 1900 register as of 2000 with all the owners, chassis numbers, type of car etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dretceterini View Post
Yes, 8000 lira at 625 to the dollar, or $12.80 US. Quite expensive for a car book in 1965.
The label marking is neither the pound sterling designation or the lira designation. It is simply an L followed by 8.000. Not 8,000.

Just a little more confusion to add to the topic.

Cheryl

Last edited by Pat Braden; 08-16-2007 at 09:08 PM.
post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 09:57 PM

Luigi Fusi Book

Quote:
Though I now have a new dilemma. With copies of the Fusi book and the Tony Adriansen GTA book, I better photograph them and get a valuation estimate for insurance purposes. But who could provide a valuation on such niche books? Damien
Having a library is a two-edged sword as well as how you deal with its value, kind of like the guy who gets in an accident and the insurance company says Blue Book on this car is....

You can go all out or you can take your chances and hope you don't suffer a loss. Here are a few things to consider that go beyond just the value of the books, but what or how the focus can be changed by outsiders.

Having a library with an appraised value opens doors to the unsrupulous. The book collector who now knows what you have and may low ball it to get it from you. There are those that are less above board and resort to stealing. Having said that it's foolish to ask someone that knows nothing about car books or Alfa Romeo, specifically, to value a book on the subject. As a general rule, I feel you are better off not letting everyone know exactly what your library contains unless you want to protect it like the Hope diamond or declare capital gains on the sale of appreciated items to uncle sam. The more of a paper trail you have as far as documentation, which is necessary to substantiate a loss, the more interested uncle sam is; you are no longer hobbying around collecting a few books for private use. They start looking for a hidden business connection etc. that you have not been upfront about.

Pat and I used an umbrella policy to cover the library and his car collection, which meant we could furnish legitmate documentation to the insurance company on values w/o having each item individually appraised which established what level of umbrella policy we should buy; they were generally sold in 100k increments. Documentation is the key here, we tracked out-of-print books and what they were selling for to set both a high and low mark to determine a representative sample of the library and cars owned, not necessarily every single item. By so doing we didn't have to furnish a complete list of individual books that could fall into the wrong hands or of each car.

So it just depends on how much you want to disclose and how much risk or loss you're willing to suffer --- one at the expense of the other.

Cheryl
post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 10:33 PM

Garage
Certain books with in any marque are collectables because the book itself has become a reference to which others use as a source. In our case the Fusi books are what we call the "bible" for establishing numbers of production and serial number runs for the models. Before the Amico and Tabucci books, Fusi was the most definitive source that I knew of. Yes, we know it has errors and so did Sr. Fusi. As I have said in other posts, the printer used previous information and put that into the later printing of the red/white edition. It was also a known fact that the printing of the grey/white book also had errors. So, what we have is a transcription of errors from one edition to the later edition. The Amico and Tabucci book was out to set the record straight and they have done a superb job. There is an addendum to this book as well.

Because the Fusi books are a reference source, given the scarcity of them on the open market, the law of supply and demand come into play. On Ebay it is often seen that the red/white books bring $250+. The earlier books seen less often can bring $350+ depending on condition. Personally signed editions bring more as they add provenance and a story to that particular book.

I should sit down and write out a description of how I came to own each of the Fusi books and my connection to each of them.

The BB is a great resource for information on books and Ms. Braden and drecterini do know their books.
post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 10:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
But who could provide a valuation on such niche books?
I use www.bookfinder.com to figure out what the going rate might be for a book, but some books may show up from time to time only.

-Ruedi
[SIZE="1"]'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, the car in my avatar, sold as resto project to Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).[/SIZE]
post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

After thinking more about it - for my small library of books, all I probably need to do is photograph them (to prove possession and condition in the event of a loss), and track the sales of these books on ebay and other sources, to give a real 'market' valuation.

I've been meaning to do a total photographic inventory of all my main household contents, so this may be the catalyst to finally doing it!

As others have said, for such a niche book as the Fusi, it would be near impossible for a bookseller to give a value. I'm sure an insurance assessor would have trouble arguing against evidence of actual recent sale prices.

post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 03:35 AM

Damo, you're a bit lucky lately..
Could you find Tabucchi's "Alfa Romeo GTA" book for a similar price or at least somewhere less or at $100 for me?

Theo
Alfa Romeo 2000 GT Veloce, 22 July 1971, #1803
+ an Echidna into my mind...
post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 06:23 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Braden View Post

The label marking is neither the pound sterling designation or the lira designation. It is simply an L followed by 8.000. Not 8,000.

Just a little more confusion to add to the topic.
Having spent a considerable amount of time in Italy, I can tell you it was not uncommon in Italy to just use a capital L for Lire....

Peter

Currently: '65 Giulia TI

Previously:
'76 Alfasud Ti/'75 GT Junior/'87 Alfa 33
'91 Alfa 75/'95 Alfa 164/'79 Alfa Spider '69 Euro 1750 GTV, '67 Duetto, '84 Spider Veloce
'91 164L

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode