New Alfa Museum - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

New Alfa Museum

Just back from a visit to the new museum. Not sure if this is the correct place to expand on it (still not got my head around the new look web site).
Anyway if anyones interested I have a few pics and an opinion, let me know if you want either.

Martin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 08:11 PM

Garage
Yes, Martin, although several threads about the museum already exist, I think starting your own thread and sharing your pictures and personal impressions would be welcome by many.

-Ruedi
[SIZE="1"]'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, the car in my avatar, sold as resto project to Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).[/SIZE]
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

You will have to excuse me rambling on a bit first. Bear with me and it may become clear.

I have never been to a car museum on your side of the pond. Loads in the UK and my share on the continent so I don't know if yours are anything like ours. Over here you get the impression (as you would) that they are put together by enthusiasts of a certain age. Thus many follow similar styles of presentation. A bit of an oily rag section, some as found stuff, a few set pieces all for the most part charmingly placed amongst beaten up original memorabilia stuff. I like them, but up until now have never pondered why they are as they are. The Alfa Romeo Museum has started up some pondering.

Now don't get me wrong I loved the place, really enjoyed myself…but…perhaps a bit, how can I put this… You go out for a drink with one of the old codgers who put together an old style place, I'm guessing the conversation would flow easily and time would fly. If you went for a drink with one of the lads who put together the new Alfa Museum he would spend all night playing with his iPhone.

Alfa had a great collection of cars and they gave them to some whizz multimedia geeks together with a little bit of info. Unfortunately the lads didn't know what questions to ask or whom to ask them of.

Consequence.

The cars are displayed with immaculate precision (but don't you dare get too close), hell even the guides who swoop upon you and wave you off the plinths are wearing silk Armani suits. But data is thin, I didn't see Auto Delta getting a mention anywhere (but then I am a bit deaf).
There was a film bit, this consisted of three very short clips! Then there's the multimedia stuff, swooping coloured background effects as the lights dimmed, bright flaming logo's and blurry old photographs of race drivers of the period. Call me a bore but to my mind these completely overshadowed the cars (see pics).
Towards the end there is there 4D (yes 4D) experience, again don't misunderstand I thought it was great fun. You sit in a small cinema on race seats and experience a 3D graphic as if you are part of a race over three or was it four time periods whilst being jiggled about and blasted with wind and spray (thats the fourthD) almost as if you are part of a computer game. Your kids will love it. Bugger all to do with Alfa Romeo though.

Hope I haven't upset anyone, I'm not trying to be controversial just saying what I see. Perhaps it's just me being old and daft. Do go though, It woke up some of my thinking cells and It does have a great restaurant.

PS I have 14 pics so will have to break up the posts.

Martin
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

more pics

More pics
Attached Images

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Even more pics
Attached Images

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 10:04 AM

Fair comment about sterile transport museums and the value of people being there who know and have experienced the exhibits in the day. Aviation museums seem particularly blessed in that regard - here in the U.S. In particular you'll get a cadre of old flyers and ground crew taking tours and being available to answer questions.

However in the case of Alfa we now have these cars preserved properly rather than buried in some back warehouse decaying and at risk of being sold off. Some of the cars you've shown are amongst the most iconic and interesting Alfa's of all time. In balance you'd have to say surely that this is the better outcome.

Alister
1973 105 GTV (Alfa #6 of 19 owned)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 05:31 AM
Gold Subscriber

I have visited perhaps a dozen automotive museums in the US. One thing I feel they uniformly lack is any technical exhibits about the cars. That is, bodies off frames so you can see the chassis layout, descriptions of innovative suspension systems, engines on stands with explanations of how they advanced the field, etc. I find aviation museums do a much better job at this. Perhaps being a scientist I am biased toward the technical, but I feel a mix of the beautiful and the technical makes for a more satisfying experience. These are, after all, transportation machines. In contrast, I found the Computer Museum in Mountain View, California mixed technology with beauty (yes, beauty) very well.

A good technology museum should be equal parts art museum and science museum, two types of beauty in harmony.

My guess is the high visibility museums are run by museum professionals (ie., those with humanities degrees) and not by technical people (engineers, mechanics, pilots, etc.)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 07:10 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Some hidden Alfas in Long Island City in Queens, NY

Got this link from Hagerty today:

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...ews%209-9-2015

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Lakeland, Florida
Virginia Beach, Virginia
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Maintenance Sticky:

Alfa Semi-Daily driver: USA model - BB2 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO [U]

[U] BB1 1991 164L w/S engine and A/T now excess to inventory [U]

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"

Last edited by Alfisto Steve; 09-09-2015 at 07:13 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 08:30 PM

Having visited the Nastasi collection in person, it is even more impressive. Joe graciously opened his doors to some of the New York Chapter members for a morning of drooling and admiring. Keep the photos on my phone as a constant reminder.

Dino

1964 Giulia Sprint GT 1991 164 S President New York Alfa Romeo Owners Club
Co-Chairman Alfamiglia Nordest 2015 www.alfa2015.com
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I was worried some would see me as being negative, not my bag. Its great they are being preserved but some more tech stuff could have easily been achieved to round off what is to my mind a bit of a family fun outing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode