Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Images of the Portello facilities 2001

24K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  116_Veloce 
#1 · (Edited)
:( :( :( Here are some photos that were taken by Motorbox.If you want to read the whole story (italian text)see here:
http://www.motorbox.com/Auto/Magazine/Costume_e_societa/2785.html
Photos were taken right before the demolition of the remaining facilities of the old Portello factory at November 2001.
The area of 18,000 sq.meters that Fiat sold(?) to the community of Milan,will be used for the creation of a complex (nuovo polo di fiera di Milano) of parks,buildings,exchibitional centers etc.Some of them are designed from famous architects like Fuksas,Piano etc.The construction will be finished by the end of the year 2010 and Milano will have the oportunity and the ability to host the largest automobile exchibition of the world.
For more infos see here:
http://www.nuovopolofieramilano.it/

Photo was taken during the decade of 1960.The left side of the facilities has already been demolished during the 80s.In the foreground the facilities with the circular shape which follows the shape of the square.In the background the south west suburbs of Milan.

The front of the facilities at the Accursio square

Warehouses.At the background the Style Center (Centro Stile)

The small road that leads to Via Renato Serra

The demolition of the Centro Stile & the Customer's service facilities at Via Achille Papa 19, is about to beging (November 2001)

Demolition (November 2001)

Images of the Style Center department (Centro Stile)
A 33 protoype.In the background the prototype of a 2 volumes C segment vehicle,which inspired the design of the 145.

The Cenro Stile was on the first floor.This department was active till the very last moment (1986).

An in house proposition by Centro Stile for the Alfa 164.

The 2 volume C segment was a design of Carli,Pininfarina's brother in law.Never reached production,although it seems tha affected the design of Alfa 145

One of the first prototypes of the 164 by Pininfarina

Prototype of the Alfa 33 FL

A closest look at the proposition of Centro Stile for the 164

Propositions for the rear end treatment of the Alfa 33 FL

Again in Centro Stile.A bounch of seats,bumpers,fascia etc.

Images of the R&D department
Gearbox Test (see the soundproof on the wall)

Motor test.An early (1976)V6 Busso with 6 carburetors

Motor test.That's an Alfasud boxer with a single carburetor

Another 6 cylinder on the "banco prova"

Images of the experimental department and assembly line

This is the oldest department of Portello factory,where ing. Ravassi was testing the suspension and the body roll of the chassis

The assembly line,called "taparelle".The car is on the ground.This method was used at the facilities of the North.On the other hand at the facilities of Pomigliano (south)they were using the "bilancere" method.The car was on the air,right in front of the arms of the worker.

Details of the experimental dept.

The main control for of the electricity

Another detail of the experimental dept.

Components of the oposition.Since 1976 Alfa studied the components that other manufacturers were used at their cars

On the first floor.Images of the exchibition dept

The assembly line of the 1900 berlina (1952)

The assembly line of Giulietta berlina (1954)

The body and carpenter dept.of the 6C Freccia d'oro (1947)

Addio vecchio Portello.

Two questions:
Was the Portello a FiatSpA property or not?
The images of the prototypes,which according to the naration of an ex worker at Portello were taken at Portello, are really from the Portello or from the Arese facilities?

See less See more
#3 ·
I find those images extemely sad, and eerie. I love buildings too, like cars I think their style serves to tell a story. I am saddened when I see images like that because I cant imagine that the existing building could not have been preserved and adapted to serve another purpose!

I live in a country which is not very industrialised compared to Italy, and not very old really either - European settlement is only in its 219th year! More reasons to save old buildings, as we dont have much of an industrial, architectural culture in this country.

The peculiar thing, or not if you know Italian sentiment and logic, is that a lot of the "debris" left lying about was not saved and placed at museo storio, especially the engines and test-beds. They could have been turned into interesting partially-working units for posterity. I perhaps have an over-active sense of romanticism, but I do think its sad.

Makes my hair stand on end to think my very own car came out of some of the rooms in those images, and to think that they are now gone!

#4 · (Edited)
Thanks for sharing that GTV116, I had long hoped to get there to savour the environment that had produced so many wonderful cars. I guess I will have to add it to my itinerary in Portello, to visit the rows of unit blocks, and just imagine.

As Ben said, it's pretty sad.

Still, the photo's provide a great epilogue to a great period of a great marque.

#6 · (Edited)
I agree with all the comments.These photos is cause of great sadness.On the other hand the Portello facilities,which were lying in the center of the city,were practically obsolete and semi abandoned from the late 60s.In the early 60s Alfa moved the production to the new factory of Arese.
At least something of all these buildings or equipment should have been preserved.As for the prototypes (if the images are really from Portello)their fate was inevitable, because of the lack of care or space (even in the museum of Arese).
Anyway what has hapened to Arese is worst.:mad:

#8 ·
I have that book mentioned above. It is very sad to see these historical buildings being razed for another development. If you look at the walls in the photographs, you can see that vandals really did a number on the place. What bombs couldn't do in WW2 the wrecking ball did. Portello gave way to Arese. Now Arese is following along the same path of destruction. It was a shame that the prototypes and some of the test stands were not saved for posterity, as that would have made a great display in the museum of how concepts are brought to the assembly line. I would have loved to walk through the facility one time with my camera to record for posterity my impressions. At least we have this book.
Anyone have any pictures of what the area looks like now?

#9 ·
About the prototypes in one of the photo's.
That looks like one of the prototypes for the Alfa 155, rather then a 33 FL proposal.

I come to this conclusion is because the development of this car started somewhere in the late 80's, in 1992 the Alfa 155 came into production.
Hence the photograph with the "rear end treatment" on it.

So it could either be the 33 FL proposal as said above or a design proposal for the Alfa 155.

About the Portello-factory itself, i think the old entrance still exists.

#11 ·
beh, che ci possiamo fa', il passato rimane nel passato. la legenderia fabbrica ormai chiusa, ha visto bei giorni. almeno le porte del cancello sono state comprate da un collezionista Italiano (non dispongo foto). speriamo che la grande operazione non sia dimenticata.

#14 ·
Well, what can we do, the past remains in the past. The legendary factory is now closed, and has seen beautiful days. At least the gate doors have been bought by an Italian collector (does not arrange photo's). We hope that the great operations are not forgotten. __________________ Blue, is too long a day for me...

Grazie For Your informazione. Sì, la fabbrica di lengenderia è storia. Tutti che il remains sia memorie per quelli di noi che sono stati là. I portelli del cancello sono stati comprati dal collettore ma dove sono andato? A Museo Storico?
Thank you for your information. Yes, the lengendary factory is history. All that remains are memories for those of us that have been there. The gate doors have been bought by a collector, but where have they gone? To Historical Museum?

Loosly translated of course.

#12 ·
Grazie For Your informazione. Sì, la fabbrica di lengenderia è storia. Tutti che il remains sia memorie per quelli di noi che sono stati là. I portelli del cancello sono stati comprati dal collettore ma dove sono andato? A Museo Storico?

#16 ·
I hope the guy wasn't dismantling the gates unless it was to restore the plates! I wonder what they look like restored? Anyone know of what they might have looked like on the entrance to the factory?
Are these the ultimate Alfa collectable?

#17 ·
I had a surge of nostalgia so I was writing in Italian, even the Italian part of the family doesn't speak Italian at home (what a shame). I have no idea what happened to the gate doors, that collector probably had to do some rust repairs, how traditional :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.