South African built Alfas - Page 10 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #136 of 156 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 12:51 PM

South African Giulietta 116s

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfistiSA View Post
The Alfetta GT's (1.8 litre) were imported, likewise the first of the 2000 GTV's, being the chrome bumper cars, soon after this, Alfa SA began producing the chrome bumper GTV's locally. All RHD plastic bumper 2000 GTV's as well as the 2.5 GTV 6 and the 3.0 GTV6's were produced locally.

Alfa SA didn't bring the 1.6 Alfetta out here, but there were at least two privately imported 1.6 Alfetta GT's that I know of.

Ciao
Greig
Sunny South Africa
I'm writing a book about the 116 Giulietta saloon and that's the main reason why I'm into this forum: the Centro Documentazione holds no records about SA, and I see you are one of the experts on the matter. While I could piece together sufficient info about the "Group One", I just can't find anything supporting the existence of Turbo and V6 Giulietta built in South Africa. Could you please help me out? Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 156 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianWriter View Post
I'm writing a book about the 116 Giulietta saloon and that's the main reason why I'm into this forum: the Centro Documentazione holds no records about SA, and I see you are one of the experts on the matter. While I could piece together sufficient info about the "Group One", I just can't find anything supporting the existence of Turbo and V6 Giulietta built in South Africa. Could you please help me out? Thank you!
Check out period press or Italian TAM. The last one had technical characteristics of Giulietta Turbo. Also I've never heard about V6 version.

Sent from my Z957 using Tapatalk
post #138 of 156 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 01:14 AM

Talk to the South African Alfa Romeo owners clubs

Al pre 1968 Knock down kit records exist in Mercedes South Africa because they took over the old East London plant that assembled Alfas. Have not been able to find anything after that for my 1969 SA 1750 GT

Paul Williams
National Chairman:
ALFA ROMEO OWNERS' ASSOC of SA
Sent: 02 March 2017 01:41 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: FW: Alfa Romeo, East London
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #139 of 156 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianWriter View Post

i remember a private company Alpine Developments doing the factory turbo Alfetta saloons (seem to recall it was a 159 turbo) but don't recall a 116 Giulietta turbo - not saying I am correct, just can't remember.

The Group 1 Giulietta had hotter cams, possibly a ported head, a few Group 1 silver stripes down the side and lovely slotted campagnolo wheels which I am still looking for!
post #140 of 156 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguti View Post
i remember a private company Alpine Developments doing the factory turbo Alfetta saloons (seem to recall it was a 159 turbo) but don't recall a 116 Giulietta turbo - not saying I am correct, just can't remember.

The Group 1 Giulietta had hotter cams, possibly a ported head, a few Group 1 silver stripes down the side and lovely slotted campagnolo wheels which I am still looking for!
Yes, thank you. By chatting with some of you I learned that there was no SA Giulietta Turbo, at least not a factory one, which is what I'm interested to.
By the way, the book will hopefully be out on Amazon by the end of August, will keep you posted!
post #141 of 156 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 08:39 PM

Garage
Quote:

Lime green and funny biscuit were popular colours in the '70's, as was that Gunstone Orange colour. A friend owned a 1750 GTV which was originally European Orange, (bright orange), now of course....... resale red, like all the others.

Ciao
Greig
Windy Port Elizabeth
@AlfistiSA, Hi Greig

If you see this: I was wondering of you perhaps have a photo of your friend's European Orange 1750 GTV mentioned above (post # 103)? Or perhaps a photo of a Gunston Orange car from South Africa? My dad and I are restoring a 1970 1750 GTV that was originally orange. Any other info you may have on orange South African cars would be helpful.

Thanks

Jannes
'64 Giulia 1600 Ti, '66 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce, '70 1750 GTV

Last edited by VeloceRosso; 07-24-2018 at 08:47 PM.
post #142 of 156 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 03:25 AM
Darth Moderator
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Hi Jannes

I see you are in NZ now... trust all is well with you & the family

The orange car had been repainted resale red like all the others, there were traces of orange under seats and the rear parcel shelf. No pictures I'm afraid, but check out Google images of Montreal's and Lambo Muira's for orange cars - same colour in the '70's

Groete
Greig
post #143 of 156 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 04:21 PM

Garage
Quote:

... check out Google images of Montreal's and Lambo Muira's for orange cars - same colour in the '70's
Thank you Greig. All is well on this side of the globe. Looking forward to our trip to SA in September.

Great, we'll look at the colour codes for the Montreal orange then.

Jannes
'64 Giulia 1600 Ti, '66 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce, '70 1750 GTV
post #144 of 156 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 02:30 AM

Hi there, I am some 12 years behind in this post, but for those still interested please contact the two major Alfa Romeo Clubs in South Africa, namely Alfa Romeo Club of South Africa, Johannesburg and the Cape Alfa Romeo Club, Cape Town, these are the oldest two clubs which came into existence during the mid 60's
post #145 of 156 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 06:22 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Seeing as I live here, I suppose that I should climb in to this thread somewhere...

Yes, we had the only assembly plant outside of Italy to produce Alfa's, (excluding the one in South America, where the name of the vehicle was changed).

The first to be locally assembled, from a CKD kit was the '60 Giulietta Ti G.d. or Guida Destra / RHD.

The Ti was followed by the RHD 105 Series Giulia sedans and the RHD 106 Series 2600 Berlina's. We still have the Factory Records for these cars.
Ciao
Greig
Hi Greig, an old post but a good one. I'm still trying to find out when the G.d. (RHD) 105-series Giulia TI was first released. Fusi shows the same type number for the CKD Giulia TI and for the G.d. Giulia TI (tipo 105.09) with the CKD car showing in 1962 production and both the CKD and G.d. cars in 1963. So, were the 1962 CKD cars LHD or RHD or a mix? And were any of the South Africa-assembled cars exported to the UK and other RHD markets? The new Alfa Historico people are no help with this, so I'm hoping your expertise can stand in for theirs.

Cheers,
Geoff

[COLOR="Navy"][SIZE="2"]Now:
63 Giulia Sprint 101
post #146 of 156 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 05:46 PM

Alfa romeo 2000 GTV's exported to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by prn 31 View Post
I don't think it has been mentioned in any posts on this thread, but here in Australia we received a small number of 105 series 2000 GTV Autos in 1975 out of South Africa.

As far as I can tell (from looking at these cars over the years) the "normal" Italian 5 speed 2000 GTVs stopped coming in late 74 (probably still in dealers for part of 75) and the 2000 GTV Auto, designated 105.22A (and high rhd chassis numbers starting with 241...) with the 3 speed ZF out of the 2000A Berlina came here during 1975, just prior to the Alfetta GT being introduced.

A number of these Auto GTVs have been converted to manual, and I think they had special 105.22A plates in the engine bay as well, but don't quote me.

I also have a feeling that Alfetta 2000 Autos that came here for evaluation (I think the total number was about 9) were also sourced from SA. (This was 1980/81.)

Can anyone comfirm this?
Hi PRN31,

I'm very interested in this story. We have a 2000 GTV which seems to be one of the South African cars. The Australian compliance plate states it's an auto, however the gearbox is a manual. Do you have any more information on how to accurately identify a South African car? The information we received from Alfa Romeo says the market destination is Johannesburg South Africa. Do you know if that was the case for all South African Alfa Romeos which were later exported to Australia?

Kind regards,

Wim
post #147 of 156 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 04:03 PM

Alfa romeo 2000 GTV's exported to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtv2000 View Post
From Patrick O'Brien's article I quoted above, I have about 40 Alfetta 2000s exported to Australia in 1975. They had to replace the parts where "made in South Africa" was written on.
Hi GTV2000,

I would be very interested in a copy of the Patrick O'Brien article. Do you have it? I don't mind if it's not in English.

Kind regards,

Wim
post #148 of 156 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 08:49 AM

I posted that 13 years ago!! I should indeed have a copy of the article (otherwise how could I have quoted it?), but after so much time, I don't remember where/how I have filed it, or in which publication I might have found it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #149 of 156 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 02:35 PM

It was a long shot, but if one doesn't ask the question.....
post #150 of 156 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 10:30 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Re the orange car questions, I have pics of John Smith's Burnt Tangerine Super and the ? red 1600 GT Jr, which looked orange to me but had a red name. But you might have pics of those too from the tour.
Andrew

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode