Which factory ? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 06:43 AM Thread Starter

Wink Which factory ?

I wonder if anyone can tell us in which alfa factory has been used to produce each model of the firm... I guess most of the models have been produced in the Arese factory ? But then again, when did that factory close down ? I am particulary interested in the Alfa Milano, but would like to know also for other models. It would be great if someone can share with us this kind of info.

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 02:46 PM

All "Alfa-Nord" (transaxle) have been produced at Arese. As long as Alfa kept being independent, 4-in-line and V6 engined cars were rolling out of Arese and flat-4 engined ones (Alfasud, Alfasud Sprint, 33) were made in Pomigliano, with the sorry exception of the ARNA produced at Pratola Serra, provincia di Avellino.

Spiders were also assembled, from a certain point, by Pininfarina in Turin. Not sure from which year.

After Fiat's buyout, it became more complicated as Fiats, Lancias and Alfas were built on the same lines. Yet the 75 (Milano) line remained at Arese up to the end. 164s were also assembled in Arese together with Themas. I seem to remember that the GTV/Spider (916) was the last complete Alfa assembled at Arese (not up to the end of production as at some point it's again Pininfarina who followed assembling them), then the plant only produced the V6 engines. The very last cars built at Arese, about 3-4 years ago, was the Fiat Multipla running on methan gas. Now it's virtually closed as there are only offices left and a small experimental department.

Arese was inaugurated in 1963 and the first car built there was the Giulia GT. Then the Giulia sedan production was moved from Portello to Arese. But the production of machanical parts went on at Portello for many years after that.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 04:59 PM

Arese, etc.

I was once told that a number of 80s-era Alfas (including many of the Alfa-Nords) were produced in a factory in Genoa, which was part of a jobs program by the leftist government. Is this possible? Also, how long were Spiders produced in Turin? From series 2 on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatiron
I was once told that a number of 80s-era Alfas (including many of the Alfa-Nords) were produced in a factory in Genoa, which was part of a jobs program by the leftist government.
This is pure BS, sorry. Never any plant in Genoa, nor any leftist government in Italy as long as Alfa has been independent. The only factory directly imposed by politicians is the Pratola Serra one, provincia di Avellino, Ciriaco De Mita being a Christian Democrat political leader in that area. His insistence on having a new Alfa factory on his yard led to Luraghi being fired for opposing such a nonsense, undoubtly the worse event in Alfa's life during the 70s together with Satta's death. Eventually, the ARNA joint venture allowed a factory to be built there.

Quote:
Also, how long were Spiders produced in Turin? From series 2 on?
Somewhere in the 80s. Maybe from Series 3, but sorry, I didn't check.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 03:23 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Broyax
When did the Portello close definetely ?
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 05:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broyax
When did the Portello close definetely ?
I believe this happened in 1984.

-Ruedi
[SIZE="1"]'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, the car in my avatar, sold as resto project to Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).[/SIZE]
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 07:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubut
I believe this happened in 1984.
I think you are correct, but it was pretty much dead from the time Arese opened.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 06:20 AM

Which Factory

A few years ago I was sent to Eritrea for a short work assignment. There is still a very strong Italian influence there and it wasn't long before I started to find some interesting cars and history. Before the war there was definitely an Alfa Romeo factory there. The building still exists although it has now been divided into many small factories. The suburb is still called "Alfa Romeo" and there were photos of several 8C 2300s lined up outside the building. The factory would have closed before the war I think. In junk yards and workshops there were a few Alfas of the 1960s and early 70's including a very special 1600 GTV prepared for racing.

Ean
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 07:29 AM
Banned

Do you know what mechanical parts were produced at Portello from 63 to 84 ?
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 09:19 AM

About Portello's definitive closure, I should check and I reckon I forgot to do so. 1984 sounds sensible, but Italian insiders say that the very last persons who left did so in 1986. My understanding is that the Centro Stile was the last dept. to leave. 1984 might be the date of moving the last production dept.

When Arese was started, the mechanical components lines were left at Portello for many years, but, sorry, it's a matter I will address more precisely in a future research, I just completed the 1933-45 one.

This relates to the Eritrea info.

I would be interested to see the pictures of the places as they are now. I have pictures of the premises in 1938 and 1940. I'll make them available with the article as soon as it will have been published, i.e. late septemeber or more probably first hale of October. I have to resize all the pics for posting, have the english version proof read and everything uploaded, and shall do so only after the paper version has been published, so I beg your patience.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 10:58 AM
Banned

We'll wait, this is very interesting !
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 09:48 AM

Send a message via MSN to paulson
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtv2000
I would be interested to see the pictures of the places as they are now.
I have got this form a dutch forum, this is how it's today Click here The are building a hyper modern complex on the old grounds of portello

2005 156 SW 1.8 TS
1999 145 Junior 1.4 TS
1983 Spider Aerodinamica 1.6
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulson
I have got this form a dutch forum, this is how it's today Click here The are building a hyper modern complex on the old grounds of portello
Thanks, but I was referring to the current conditions of the Ethiopian facilities. I've been at the ex-Portello a few times, last time last year, and took with Jos Hugense some pics that appeared over the years in Het Klaverblaadje.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 04:16 PM
Banned

I wasn't aware that the Ethiopian facility still existed! I thought it was gone by the 1960s...
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 09:26 PM

I was searching for some info on the Eritrea offices and I came across a few very obscure references...

In this Travel and Leisure article, an old Alfa Romeo office is mentioned in page two:
http://www.travelandleisure.com/arti...ritrea-emerges

Something about the "Alfa Romeo Palace" if I'm understanding correctly here:
http://www.trainweb.org/eritrean/scr...o-article.html

There's some sort of Alfa Romeo building and some sort of Fiat building mentioned here:
http://www.shaebia.org/cgi-bin/artma...hive=3&num=236

Don't know how much of this helps, given that the suburb is called "Alfa Romeo" (I'd love a sign that says "Now Entering Town of Alfa Romeo"- ha)

I truly had no idea that Alfas were built in Africa at one period. Where they ever built in any other country?

Four time Spider owner... now have an 86 Spider Veloce black on black

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode