SpeedVision Shows on Alfa - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 02:49 AM Thread Starter

SpeedVision Shows on Alfa

SpeedVision has had several good shows on Alfa Romeo recently. A complete rebuild on Classic Car, and a history of Alfa Romeo, and one on Barn Finds. one interesting tidbit was after the war metal was so scarce that the employees would go out at night and steal road signs to make the bodies. In some of the postwar Alfa's you can see the front of the sign on the inside pannels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 04:08 AM

What is SpeedVision? A TV show?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

speedvision is a cabe/satellite station. All autos. They show all the F1 races, have lots of tech shows, the Barlett auctions, is nice for those winter months up north here when the alfa sits in storage.

[FONT="Garamond"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="Blue"]86 Alfa Graduate
86 Ferrari Testarosa
89 Maserati Bi Turbo Spyder
00 Range Rover Land Rover[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 09:21 PM

Fantastic, would love to get copies of the Alfa Shows, not much chance of getting them here in Hong Kong......
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 08:04 AM

For anyone looking up Speedvision, I believe it's now called Speed TV.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 10:45 AM

Link to Speedtv

you can find them here:

http://www.speedtv.com/

Lee Chesnin
1965 2600 Sprint
1968 Volvo 122S
1962 Volvo 1800
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 05:09 PM

Excellent, thankyou.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 11:57 AM

Was Speedvision

years ago, it was a cool cable network called Speedvision.

Then Fox bought them out, changed to Speed Channel, and
is mostly Nascar this, and Nascar that.

What ever happened to the broadcast of the Monaco GP
They showed practice, qualifying, and even the GP2 race . . .
but what about the F1 race ?? Was it on at some odd hour
on some odd day

It seems like every week there is some new Nascar behind the
scenes show, and less of the interesting other things. No
more motorcycle TT races, bad coverage of vintage racing, etc.

so, so sad . . .

Dionisio di Fiflos
73 GTV - 81 GTV-6 *R.I.P.* - 65 Mustang GT Vert - Honda Hawk GT - Yamaha FZ6
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 12:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by darth dino
What ever happened to the broadcast of the Monaco GP
They showed practice, qualifying, and even the GP2 race . . .
but what about the F1 race ?? Was it on at some odd hour
on some odd day
The F1 race was on one of the big three, CBS maybe (I don't pay much attention anymore to what network I'm watching). Speed has become unwatchable. Finding something decent to watch on there has become like finding a needle in a haystack. It's not worth the effort.

[FONT="Century Gothic"][B]Bob Farace[/B]
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]1971 Alfa Romeo 1750 Spider Veloce[/COLOR]
[I]Director, Connecticut branch, Scuderia Non Originale[/I][/FONT]
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 12:21 PM

Boy Im with you on that. If we cant even get formula races on tv what else are we not getting. Is the US in some kind of media blackout zone or something?
-Tom P.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 01:46 PM

One of the US networks has the rights to 3 or 4 races this year so Speed is forced to show it at a later date. So it's not a black out, theoretically F1 gets a wider audience this way. The downside is they show it same day time delayed.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Ken Lee
Alfa Dogs #13
Oakville, ON[/FONT]
73 GTV
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 03:27 PM

Yeah, CBS took a backmarker position to show some F1 races leading up to the USGP. Their coverage is OK, but not as good as Varsha and Hobbs on Speed. Even so, I always felt that the Speed guys knew stuff they were't telling us, being PC so to speak, so as not to lose their priveledges with Bernie. Especially true about Raikonnens late night liasons last year, with his wife chasing him around each race town trying to find out where he was.

I remember when ESPN and ESPN2 was "The World Leader in Motorsports Coverage". And they really were, too. They had F1, ChampCar, Drags, Toyota Atlantics, IMSA, everything, all the time. Now they are the "Extreme Stick & ball Poker Network.

Speed has unfortunately now become the MTV of racing. When ESPN decided to court 19 year olds, Speed took over serious racing coverage. Now, they too have dumbed it down to "Unique Whips", "Pinks" and other crap. Barrett-Jackson coverage and the occasional races (which are seldom promoted, only die-hards can search out the time slots) are the only salvation of the network. Unless, of course, you're a NASCAR fan. The NASCAR programming to those guys is hotter than a $200,000 Plymouth Roadrunner stocked full of Coors Silver Bullets. I can only hope that the NASCAR craze crashes about the same time as the B-J muscle car market.
OK, sooner maybe...
Dan

'71 Spider
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 07:19 AM

SpeedTV has all but four of the F1 races this year...Silverstone, this weekend, is on broadcast tv, and the rest of the season will be on SpeedTV. They (Varsha, Matchett, and Hobbs on SpeedTV) do a far better job than the network commentators do. SpeedTV will have a lot of LeMans 24hrs coverage as well, which is good.

David
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worthit
Yeah, CBS took a backmarker position to show some F1 races leading up to the USGP. Their coverage is OK, but not as good as Varsha and Hobbs on Speed. SNIP Dan
Well, I had much higher hopes for Danny Sullivan's comentary on the Monaco race. I think it was about 3/4 into the race when Coulthard (I think) passed a backmarker who he had been trailing for a few laps. The pass occured at the harborside chicane, just after the tunnel exit. Sullivan and the announcer were gabbing about something unrelated to the pass everyone who was watching knew was about to occur, it does occur (the camera shot approaching the chicane changed to the camera looking back at the chicane toward the tunnel exit) and Sullivan says, "Oh! What's this?" but never bothers to actualy describe what happened. The Speed crew (Varsha, Hobbs, Windsor and Machett) are the bomb. They don't blow calls for one, and don't fail to provide insight commenserate with their experience. Machett is so amazingly insightful with his commentary on the technical and pit strategy, Windsor gets SpeedTV spectacular access to the players, Varsha keeps it all going with top-drawer play calling and Hobbs -well, if it wasn't for Hobbs I'd have no idea what clag is.

I mean, Danny Sullivan actually raced in F1. You'd think he'd provide a value add beyond whatever his basic ability to speak into a mic brings. I'm afraid Sullivan is more a posterboy for CBS than the best person to actually cover the feed. His comments lacked the creativity and deep analysis that the boys at Speed bring to each race weekend. Nothing against Sullivan as a driver, of cours. But I think his tv commentary left much to be desired.

-Dan
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 04:20 PM

MotoGP racing!! If it weren't for that, I wouldn't tune into Speed at all anymore.

Bill / 1977 Alfa Romeo 4C2000 / 2012 BMW S1000RR / 1975 BMW R90/6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode