Alfa Paris address - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Alfa Paris address

Commento: Gentlemen: If you would please so kind, may I have the address of the Alfa Romeo facilities that existed in Paris in the early 1930s, where unassembled cars were sent, and where they were actually assembled and recived the Alfa Paris badges on the radiators? Thank You, Dott.Ing.Stuart Schaller

Alfa's Response:
Dear Dott.Ing.Schaller,

we are very sorry to inform you that in this period we haven't the information you need.

Best regards.

Automobilismo Storico Alfa Romeo
Archivio Storico
Antonio Magro

Last edited by dretceterini; 03-24-2006 at 02:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 04:48 PM

Garage
What an odd piece of information for them (allegedly) not to have. I wonder if there are available city directories of Paris from that time period. Here in the US I've used them to track the several addresses where my great-grandfather lived and had his barbershops in the '10s and '20s. If such a thing exists for Paris, then it might contain the info you need.

[FONT="Century Gothic"][B]Bob Farace[/B]
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]1971 Alfa Romeo 1750 Spider Veloce[/COLOR]
[I]Director, Connecticut branch, Scuderia Non Originale[/I][/FONT]
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 09:30 AM

Thanks for having tried, Stu.

Up to now, I've been pointed to further possibly knowledgeable people, but didn't find the answer so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 03:29 AM

How's your french, Stu? Actually, I remember now that you lived in Geneva, so forget I asked that!

Might be worth asking here:

http://tinyurl.com/hedj5

Regards,

James

James Wiseman
'60 Giulietta SZ #00012
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SZRacer
How's your french, Stu? Actually, I remember now that you lived in Geneva, so forget I asked that!

Might be worth asking here:

http://tinyurl.com/hedj5

Regards,

James
Hi James!

It's still pretty good, but would be a lot better if I got to use it more often...
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farace
What an odd piece of information for them (allegedly) not to have. I wonder if there are available city directories of Paris from that time period. Here in the US I've used them to track the several addresses where my great-grandfather lived and had his barbershops in the '10s and '20s. If such a thing exists for Paris, then it might contain the info you need.
Indeed, you're right: a phone book of the relevant years would do it, or at least confirm. But I didn't come across anyone having access to it. Further sources would be even safer: there were bills issued to and from the Paris company, some have been quoted being wioth the owner of existing cars, but again I couldn't be told yet the address on it. Now, somewhere in Milan, some letter, bill, telegram, ad, name it yourself, should lay on the shelfs.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 03:36 AM

I take it you are not interested in the two buildings designed by Mallet-Stevens?

One was on Boulevard Haussmann and was constructed in 1925, the other at 36 Rue Marbeuf and dates from 1927.

Both have since been demolished.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 06:26 AM Thread Starter

Those addresses appear to have been more of showrooms than places the parts were actually assembled into cars..
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroehl
I take it you are not interested in the two buildings designed by Mallet-Stevens?

One was on Boulevard Haussmann and was constructed in 1925, the other at 36 Rue Marbeuf and dates from 1927.

Both have since been demolished.
That's exactly the question: was still rue Marboeuf the location where the assembly could take place. See the other thread I had started where I had explained just that.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 08:22 PM

According to my sources it wasn't so much a place of assembly as a speed shop where they were also assembled. It was located outside of Paris in a town called Clichy. I have an interview with a man called Georges Houel. He has a restaurant called Le Volant and is an interesting section of Paris. Dr. Schaller you may be interested to know that he may have been on the Scuderia Ambrosina team as he mentioned driving for Alfa in the 1954 tour of Italy. Unfortunately I don't know for sure wether this is what he said or not as my french is terrible. I do want to clarify that this was outside of Paris in the town of Clichy not in Paris in Place Clichy which might be an easy mistake to make and I myself thought that was what was said the first few times. I made very certain to clarify this point in hope of some accuracy despite my french. I hope this helps
good luck, please let me know how this turns out
Jeff

La Voce
1969 GTV
1961 Giulietta Berlina

Last edited by series1gtv; 04-30-2006 at 08:42 AM.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 04:37 AM

Jeff,

Georges Houel was in fact a bit of a celebrity in France, once owning 15 restaurants, I think!

If you look here:

http://wsrp.wz.cz/nonchamp1954.html

...you will see that in 1954 Georges was in fact:

3rd in the Coupe d'Automne at Monthlery (behind two Maseratis!)

5th in the Coppa Intereuropa at Monza (behind Zagato and Sanesi..)

Also, if you look here:

http://tinyurl.com/pq36e

You will see he was in fact second in the '54 Giro d'Italia!

Regards,

James

Quote:
Originally Posted by series1gtv
According to my research it wasn't so much a place of assembly as a speed shop where they were also assembled. It was located outside of Paris in a town called Clichy. I have an interview with a man called Georges Houel. He has a restaurant called Le Volant and is an interesting section of Paris. Dr. Schaller you may be interested to know that he may have been on the Scuderia Ambrosina team as he mentioned driving for Alfa in the 1954 tour of Italy. Unfortunately I don't know for sure wether this is what he said or not as my french is terrible. I do want to clarify that this was outside of Paris in the town of Clichy not in Paris in Place Clichy which might be an easy mistake to make and I myself thought that was what was said the first few times. I made very certain to clarify this point in hope of some accuracy despite my french. I hope this helps
Jeff

James Wiseman
'60 Giulietta SZ #00012
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by series1gtv
According to my research it wasn't so much a place of assembly as a speed shop where they were also assembled. It was located outside of Paris in a town called Clichy. I have an interview with a man called Georges Houel. He has a restaurant called Le Volant and is an interesting section of Paris. Dr. Schaller you may be interested to know that he may have been on the Scuderia Ambrosina team as he mentioned driving for Alfa in the 1954 tour of Italy. Unfortunately I don't know for sure wether this is what he said or not as my french is terrible. I do want to clarify that this was outside of Paris in the town of Clichy not in Paris in Place Clichy which might be an easy mistake to make and I myself thought that was what was said the first few times. I made very certain to clarify this point in hope of some accuracy despite my french. I hope this helps
Jeff

Thanks for the information. As far as I was aware, Houel wasn't a part of Scuderia Ambrosiana, but I will check further.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 08:34 AM

It's very possible that abrosina or ambrosia was another word entirely. It was something he said when speaking about Alfas and racing them in the 1950's unfortunately I speak little French and what french I do speak has nothing to do with cars. I had a friend that speaks perfect french do the interview so I can consult him to see what he thinks. BTW as a second source since Alfa doesn't have records of this would be tax records. Actually if someone could talk to M. Houel I think we could resolve the whole thing. He mentioned the name of the shop as well but I have no record of the conversation. If anyone does follow up on this I would be interested to find out the whole story of the 1954 Giro d'Italia and the Alfa race shop where the Paris cars were assembled.

Thank you and Good luck
Jeff

La Voce
1969 GTV
1961 Giulietta Berlina

Last edited by series1gtv; 04-30-2006 at 10:48 AM.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 06:12 AM

Hi Jeff,

thank you very much for your input. The original thread I had opened on this subject is this one. I would prefer to continue commenting in that one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode