Alfetta Type 158/159 Book - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Alfetta Type 158/159 Book

I just finished reading the book, Alfetta -The Alfa Romeo 158/159 Grand Prix Car. I wanted to pass on to the members, that in my opinion I found it very well written and worth reading. It will certainly go into my bookcase along with the other automobile books I have.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 10:41 PM
Banned

A copy is currently available on e-pay at about $25!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 04:37 AM

I'm currently reading it with much pleasure and interest. Ed McDonough for sure found interesting sources about the 158 project origins, and give a good view into the circumstances of his birth.

One step further, when mentioning drawings and ideas dating back to late 1935 - early 1936, would have been to point out that, in that era, it was not rare at all that great designers would carry out at home, on spare time, projects for advanced vehicles or racing ones. Merosi, Jano and, after the war, Busso did so, sometimes for important projects. Little wonder, thus that Colombo had ideas of the layout for a voiturette already in mind or on paper if he then managed to design the whole car over a few months from May 1937.

So far the only page that made me feel sorry is where Ed, who previously warned against legendary stories carried over from one publication to later ones, comes up again with the legend of a 3.8 litre Tipo B for the 1935 German GP. Not only it isn't true, but it would have been impossible, since the overall size of the enlarged engines would by no way squeeze into a Tipo B chassis.

This detail point having been made, I join Gary in recommending the book to everyone willing to know more on the 158/159 icon.

And, Gary, your Alfa books shelf is a nice one. Personally, I miss badly two of the books shown on the picture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Gtv2000, thanks for the nice comment about my Alfa book shelf.

I am interested in your comment about the Tipo B not having a 3.8 litre engine. Is the 3.8 litre engine actually larger in it’s external dimensions then the 3.2 litre? I am certainly not an expert on the subject but most of the books I have seem to point to there being 3.8 litre engines in more then one Tipo B.

I’ve included a few for your comment; I find it interesting to know what engines sizes were in use.

Also in the book ‘The Scuderia Ferrari’ on page 307 it states that during the 1935 German GP Nuvolari’s ‘P3” was fitted with special ‘Nurburgring’ Englebert tyres which had 6mm thread instead of the usual 4mm used everywhere else. Do you have any comments about the advantage Nuvolari had with his tires?
Attached Images

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary labat
I am interested in your comment about the Tipo B not having a 3.8 litre engine. Is the 3.8 litre engine actually larger in it’s external dimensions then the 3.2 litre? I am certainly not an expert on the subject but most of the books I have seem to point to there being 3.8 litre engines in more then one Tipo B.

I’ve included a few for your comment; I find it interesting to know what engines sizes were in use.
Indeed, interesting books...

The point is that is has long been believed so, and the link below might show you that I've been believing the same sources as you do until post 26 in the following thread:

http://forums.autosport.com/showthre...ye+1935+german

I reckon Simon Moore is the most authorized voice on such a matter.

Quote:
Also in the book ‘The Scuderia Ferrari’ on page 307 it states that during the 1935 German GP Nuvolari’s ‘P3” was fitted with special ‘Nurburgring’ Englebert tyres which had 6mm thread instead of the usual 4mm used everywhere else. Do you have any comments about the advantage Nuvolari had with his tires?
That rings a bell, but I cannot comment by memory.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! Very interesting...
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 04:04 PM

Amazon has it for $22.00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/186...Fencoding=UTF8

Curious, does anyone know how good the following book is?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/190...Fencoding=UTF8

Alfa Romeo Tipo 33: The Development & Race History by Peter Collins, Ed McDonough.

Cheers!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 05:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardowen
Amazon has it for $22.00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/186...Fencoding=UTF8

Curious, does anyone know how good the following book is?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/190...Fencoding=UTF8

Alfa Romeo Tipo 33: The Development & Race History by Peter Collins, Ed McDonough.

Cheers!
Best book available on the T33s!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dretceterini
Best book available on the T33s!
SOLD! hehe.

I've seen so many examples I know nothing about. Especially all those Rosso Bianco oddities.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 07:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardowen
SOLD! hehe.

I've seen so many examples I know nothing about. Especially all those Rosso Bianco oddities.
There was already one on e-bay...
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 08:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtv2000
I'm currently reading it with much pleasure and interest. Ed McDonough for sure found interesting sources about the 158 project origins, and give a good view into the circumstances of his birth.

One step further, when mentioning drawings and ideas dating back to late 1935 - early 1936, would have been to point out that, in that era, it was not rare at all that great designers would carry out at home, on spare time, projects for advanced vehicles or racing ones. Merosi, Jano and, after the war, Busso did so, sometimes for important projects. Little wonder, thus that Colombo had ideas of the layout for a voiturette already in mind or on paper if he then managed to design the whole car over a few months from May 1937.

So far the only page that made me feel sorry is where Ed, who previously warned against legendary stories carried over from one publication to later ones, comes up again with the legend of a 3.8 litre Tipo B for the 1935 German GP. Not only it isn't true, but it would have been impossible, since the overall size of the enlarged engines would by no way squeeze into a Tipo B chassis.

This detail point having been made, I join Gary in recommending the book to everyone willing to know more on the 158/159 icon.

And, Gary, your Alfa books shelf is a nice one. Personally, I miss badly two of the books shown on the picture

Just which two are the ones that you need?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dretceterini
Just which two are the ones that you need?
Hey, going into private, er?

Well, Scuderia Ferrari is a concern, but I would indeed prefer an Italian version, usually cheaper and easier reading yet for me. I've been offered several, but won't spend more than I'm willing to.

The other one is "Cento Manifesti". Really nice, and missed it just because, once in Milan, I had to choose my spending, according to money and weight. I happened to buy, among the many then available, those that later proved easier to find, despite expectations, for instance "Immagini e percorsi", that was the catalogue of an exhibition. Now it's rare to come across Cento Manifesti, usually expensive, and I have copies of most of the ads it contains, but it's still a nice book.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 04:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtv2000
Hey, going into private, er?

Well, Scuderia Ferrari is a concern, but I would indeed prefer an Italian version, usually cheaper and easier reading yet for me. I've been offered several, but won't spend more than I'm willing to.

The other one is "Cento Manifesti". Really nice, and missed it just because, once in Milan, I had to choose my spending, according to money and weight. I happened to buy, among the many then available, those that later proved easier to find, despite expectations, for instance "Immagini e percorsi", that was the catalogue of an exhibition. Now it's rare to come across Cento Manifesti, usually expensive, and I have copies of most of the ads it contains, but it's still a nice book.
Gee, I guessed right! Let me see if I can find copies for you at realistic prices. I did find a copy of Scuderia Ferrari in Italian here in the US for about $100 something like 3 years ago, although the last copy I saw in English had a $600 asking price!

Last edited by dretceterini; 03-26-2006 at 05:27 PM.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 05:19 PM

I came across the 6/77 issue of Road&Track, their 30th anniversary. In it is a centerfold picture of Phil Hill with the 159 and a 5 page story by him of the history of the car. There also are numerous photos. In 1947 The 159 Alfetta was R&T's inaugaral issue subject.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Interesting that in this book “When Nuvolari Raced…” it identifies the car in one page as a 3800cc and later as a 3200cc on another page in the book.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode