In The Name of Glory by Tom Rubython - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

In The Name of Glory by Tom Rubython

“In the Name of Glory: 1976 The Greatest Ever Sporting Duel” by Tom Rubython (November 2011, The Myrtle Press UK).

I highly recommend this book! It tells the main story of the fabled 1976 Formula One season in a good amount of detail. Some may feel the off track personal lives of racers James Hunt and Niki Lauda are covered in a bit too much and sometimes graphic detail. However I think that these details add to the overall perspective of what each driver went through in their bitter race to the championship. It was amazing to read how a virtual non-entity (before 1976) like James Hunt was able to secure a ride with the ultra competitive McLaren team. It was even more amazing to read how Niki Lauda, the defending F1 champion driver for Ferrari in 1975, was able to race after all he endured in 1976; the broken ribs from the tractor accident, the horrific crash & fire that greatly disfigured his face and nearly destroyed his lungs. Not to mention the “lady problems” that Hunt and Lauda seemingly brought upon themselves. It is a huge wonder how these guys were able to maintain a focus on any serious undertaking at all, let alone F1 racing! There is not much coverage in the way of Alfa Romeo, except for the mention of Bernie Ecclestone's Brabham team using the “thirsty” Alfa engines in their cars. All in all, In the Name of Glory is very well written and easy to read. Although at times the transitions between some chapters seem a bit disjointed and there is a somewhat repetitive nature that comes through as the same subjects are repeated several times. There are a couple of neat color photo sections located in the middle pages of the book and it is nice to place a name with a cira 1976 face. At any rate I thought I'd read the book before it becomes a movie and I am very happy I did! Ron “Opie” Howard, is supposedly making a film based on this book, can't wait 'til it comes out and to see the larger than life characters of Hunt and Lauda portrayed on the screen. I think all serious racing fans and history buffs of F1 will enjoy reading In The Name of Glory and adding it to their personal libraries. Cheers.
Attached Images

Tim

Last edited by Timo; 07-12-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 03:10 PM
Gold Subscriber

Thanks Timo,
I will have to get it after the review.
Jim
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 07:26 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Thanks for the review. Sounds great. On the Kindle and ready to go!

La meccanica delle emozioni

2016 Giulia Veloce Azzurro
2012 Giulietta 1.4 Grigio
2008 159 ti 2.4 JTD Rosso
1969 Spider Veloce 1750 Avorio

Gone:
1975 Alfasud 1200ti
2006 159 V6 Q4
1971 Giulia 1300 Super Verde
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Guys,

Let me know your thoughts on the book. The film; "Rush" as it's going to be called, should be a good one.

It appears that F1/sports car-racing history is generating quite a bit of interest these days. Even in the "non-petrol head" segment of the English language reading population.

All the best,

Tim

Last edited by Timo; 08-12-2012 at 08:47 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode