info 8C 2900B Corto Touring Spider 1937 HRH prince Bernhard - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

info 8C 2900B Corto Touring Spider 1937 HRH prince Bernhard

Being a lifetime Alfa Romeo enthusiast and member of the Dutch Alfa Romeo Owners Club, i am working on an article for our club-magazine about the two pre-war Alfa's who were once owned by his royal highness prince Bernhard. I already did a lot of (new!) research on the subject and I was wondering if anyone could complete the story by providing me with photos of one of his Alfa's in particular, the 1937 8C 2900B Corto Touring Spider. I already received some nice pictures from different Dutch national archives but i'm interested in additional photos of the following time-period:

- period 1953-2003
Car was owned and preserved by the late Jim Ibold for more than fifty years. Car was painted red (by him or by its previous owner in Belgium?)

- period 2003-2005
Car was owned by American classic car racer (who?)

- period 2005-2010
Car in hands of current British owner. Car was on display at the 2010 Goodwood Festival of Speed.

Any help in this direction from other Alfa enthusiasts is more than welcome. Thank you for your time and effort!

Regards,
Robert-Jan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 02:14 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Robert-Jan

Jim Ibold was a long-time member of the Ohio Valley AROC chapter, and we were all familiar with his 2900 since he drove it to many activities. Look in the photo gallery of the chapter website, and you can view several photos Ohio Valley Alfa Romeo Owners Club There are also several pictures of Jim's 6C2300 Cabriolet

I remember talking to Jim shortly after he first bought the car, it had older red paint and some areas of flaking body filler. I pestered him with the question of having it restored. Jim was a crusty individual, and his response was "I'm not going to restore the @X#$&* car. I plan to fix the brakes, and drive the @X#$&*Car"

Was the car still unrestored at Goodwood? Our opinion here was that it was one of the last unrestored 2900's in the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijnalfa View Post
Being a lifetime Alfa Romeo enthusiast and member of the Dutch Alfa Romeo Owners Club, i am working on an article for our club-magazine about the two pre-war Alfa's who were once owned by his royal highness prince Bernhard. I already did a lot of (new!) research on the subject and I was wondering if anyone could complete the story by providing me with photos of one of his Alfa's in particular, the 1937 8C 2900B Corto Touring Spider. I already received some nice pictures from different Dutch national archives but i'm interested in additional photos of the following time-period:

- period 1953-2003
Car was owned and preserved by the late Jim Ibold for more than fifty years. Car was painted red (by him or by its previous owner in Belgium?)

- period 2003-2005
Car was owned by American classic car racer (who?)

- period 2005-2010
Car in hands of current British owner. Car was on display at the 2010 Goodwood Festival of Speed.

Any help in this direction from other Alfa enthusiasts is more than welcome. Thank you for your time and effort!

Regards,
Robert-Jan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

George Schweikle

1976 Spider (Dedicated Autocrosser, "SPICA, No Carbs")
1991 Spider Veloce (Retirement cruiser)
Scuderia Non Originale
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Hello George, Thank you, I will certainly follow up your lead. The current owner had the car carefully preserved in original condition. The result is more than stunning. No Pebble Beach or Villa d'Este "better than new condition" but a true preservation. The original paint (light grey) was restored underneath the red coating and shows its patina and flaking paint. Including the two original (!) Canadian flags (right front fender and tailgate) that prince Bernhard had applied in Holland in may 1945 to honor its liberators.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 02:31 PM

Goodwood

Here's some shots of the 8C at Goodwood this past year. I had no idea of the history of the car, only that it was wonderful to see an 8C in apparently unrestored condition in the midst of many that were over-restored.

Love the "inner" screen wiper...

Gmack
Minneapolis

Last edited by gmack; 09-19-2018 at 03:37 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 03:45 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Here's some pictures of the car when it lived in Cincinnati, Ohio. It appears that the firewall is still the original grey color. That inner screen wiper is certailly an unusual "defroster".

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmack View Post
Here's some shots of the 8C at Goodwood this past year. I had no idea of the history of the car, only that it was wonderful to see an 8C in apparently unrestored condition in the midst of many that were over-restored.

Love the "inner" screen wiper...

Gmack
Minneapolis
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

George Schweikle

Scuderia Non Originale
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 04:55 PM

I spent a lonnng time soaking up that wonderful car when it was displayed at Goodwood last year (the 33 Stradale in front of it barely received a glance): an example of a car 'dans son jus' if ever there was one. I believe that the owner of this 2900B also possessed the car displayed next to it, a comprehensively restored dark blue 2300 or 2900 fhc, which seemed anodyne in comparison. Thanks for the information, and I do hope it continues to wear its age so well in years to come.

[FONT="Georgia"][/FONT]
to all parts I have advertised on the BB so far. Plenty more! Just ask.

Last edited by Alex; 01-17-2011 at 04:58 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I spent a lonnng time soaking up that wonderful car when it was displayed at Goodwood last year (the 33 Stradale in front of it barely received a glance): an example of a car 'dans son jus' if ever there was one. I believe that the owner of this 2900B also possessed the car displayed next to it, a comprehensively restored dark blue 2300 or 2900 fhc, which seemed anodyne in comparison. Thanks for the information, and I do hope it continues to wear its age so well in years to come.
The dark blue car is 412020, a Pebble Beach class winner of 2001, also present at Goodwood 2002.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for your replies. The complete story of the car is more than fascinating. And yes, it is a breath taking car, even more because of the condition it is in. My article for the Dutch Alfa Romeo Owners Club Magazine is almost finished. It would be wonderful to use these images in my article. Is there any chance to receive these images in high(er) resolution, suitable for print?
Robert-Jan
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 12:07 PM

Robert-Jan,

I have some taken at Goodwood, if that would help? They're only 5 MB resolution but that should be sufficient. Send me a private message with your email address and I'll dig them out for you.

Alex.

[FONT="Georgia"][/FONT]
to all parts I have advertised on the BB so far. Plenty more! Just ask.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 04:01 PM

photos

I too can send higher rez photos with your email address. Pm me and I'll send everything I've got as long as you let me know where to access your project when it's finished.

Gmack
Minneapolis
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 05:18 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Robert-Jan,

I got the images from screen prints off of the Ohio Valley AROC website, which has been inactive for some time. I don't have any other source of image, but maybe you could try the website again OVAROC Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijnalfa View Post
Thank you for your replies. The complete story of the car is more than fascinating. And yes, it is a breath taking car, even more because of the condition it is in. My article for the Dutch Alfa Romeo Owners Club Magazine is almost finished. It would be wonderful to use these images in my article. Is there any chance to receive these images in high(er) resolution, suitable for print?
Robert-Jan

George Schweikle

Scuderia Non Originale
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Thanks and yes, the project will also be put online in order to share this with other Alfa enthusiasts. Thanks again,
Robert-Jan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmack View Post
I too can send higher rez photos with your email address. Pm me and I'll send everything I've got as long as you let me know where to access your project when it's finished.

Gmack
Minneapolis
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 08:36 AM

My father had done some work on this car for Jim Ibold. My dad was a machinist at Zakira's Garage in Fairfax Ohio. The owner of the garage, Dean Butler, is the guy who owned it after Jim and he also raced classic cars at Goodwood, an Allard J2 and had a garage in the UK. The owner of Zakira's has shipped many cars back and forth from the US to the UK. I have seen the Alfa Romeo many times and have seen the J2 when it was in the US to get the motor rebuilt and set back up for more racing. They also shipped a 1968 Z28 over to the UK for other racing and they used our 1967 Camaro to mock up larger rotors and calipers for the front brakes to install on the 68 that was already over seas.

Tags
8c 2900, ainscough, bernhard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode