Alfa Romeo history books - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

Alfa Romeo history books

Hello all alfisti!
Could you tell me which is the best book about Alfa Romeo's history? I have in mind two books:

1) Alfa Romeo, the spirit of Milan
2) First among champions

Which is the best?
Any book about all production Alfa's?

Theo
Alfa Romeo 2000 GT Veloce, 22 July 1971, #1803
+ an Echidna into my mind...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 08:18 AM

Well, depends on what you want, since;

1. - is a general book on Alfa Romeo history, and
2. - is a book on Alfa Romeo Formula 1 (Grand Prix) cars - so it doesnt tell you much - if anything about the "ordinary" cars.

I have "AR - the spirit of Milan" and can recommend it as a good intro to the history of AR - both racing and production cars. I often use it for reference - but if you are interested in a specific period of model, it would go for something else, as it doesnt go too much into depth.

Hope this helps.

Jørgen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 1300GT Junior
1971 2000 Spider (racecar!)
1964 Vespa Gran Sport
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 10:56 AM

Griff Borgeson's Alfa Romeo Tradition is very good. It's different in that it focuses on the people who made Alfa what it is (was) and not like all other Marque histories that focus only on the cars and race victories. It's good in that Borgeson was able to interview a lot of the players in the last parts of their lives who worked for Alfa in the early years, as well as Borgeson being an excellent writer and historian. It's long been out of print, but I still see it on used book seller sites from time to time. Chaters in the UK has it for #35.

Fusi or Alfa Romeo Production Cars 1910 - 1996 by D'Amico & Tabucchi are good if you want a comprehensive catalog of cars. Both are out of print, but are available used, and are pretty expensive.

Ciao,

John
'73 GTV - Owned 24 years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 10:20 PM

Alfa Romeo Tradition

I would second the recommendation for the Borgeson book as a very detailed resource for Alfa history as told by insiders. Second-hand copies of the book have fetched upwards of $150, but there is a ABE-member bookstore that lists one for $30. Try this link: http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/...L?bi=208975164

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode