Alfa Romeo 6C1750 and Rob Box - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Alfa Romeo 6C1750 and Rob Box

I spent a very enjoyable day with Rob de la Rive Box in about 1989/1990 and he shared a great many details about cars that he had bought and sold over the years. It seemed he had a great adventure that was not always easy. We were going to get together again to go over more material. Alas, it was not to be.

He shared the information that he sold an Alfa Romeo 6C1750 "10614666" in December of 1970 to Jonas Trachsel, also in Switzerland. The number made no sense but I have guessed that it was really "10914666". The car "AR6C10914666" is not known today but the engine is installed in AR6C101014925 and I suspect that this is the "ex-Rob Box" car that we discussed about twenty years ago.

I have recently received information about another 6C1750 that may have been sold by Rob at an auction held in Geneva sometime early in the 1960's. Does anyone have Rob's files regarding any such car? I have heard that some of his files seem to have been dispersed but am hopeful that they all remain in good care. It would be nice to know that they can be referred to ... if they can be accessed.

Anybody have any knowledge about the car, the auction at Geneve or the Rob Box archives?

Thanks,

John de Boer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Alfa Romeo 6C101014925

Of course, it would be nice to learn more about AR6C101014925 as well. It is the only "Cabriolet Sala" I can think of in the 6C1750 listings that I have compiled over the last 25 years or more.

John
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 06:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by iicarJohn View Post
Anybody have any knowledge about the car, the auction at Geneve or the Rob Box archives?
FYI: I vaguely recall that Roland Kunz of autoliteratur.ch told me about 8 years ago when I bought one of the posters he has on his web site that his friend Rob Rive de la Box willed his archive to him and that the pictures on the poster came from that archive (although many of the shots seem to be Alfa Romeo press pictures). I'm not sure if Roland Kunz referred to the image archive only or if it included Rob Box's complete archive.

I later bought some pages on eBay UK that were contact prints of negatives supposedly photographed by Rob Box. These pages looked like a thumbnail index as it provided a reference number for the negatives. I had no way to verify whether the pictures were really taken by Rob Box, and I was equally curious and surprised that the index would be separated from the archive.

Whether my recollection is accurate or not certainly needs to be verified by Roland Kunz. I tried to contact him e few months ago via e-mail but received no reply.

BTW: His web page is dated Jan-2009.

-Ruedi
[SIZE="1"]'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, the car in my avatar, sold as resto project to Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).[/SIZE]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 02:44 AM

Interesting John.
I was unaware the carrozzeria Sala had produced bodies on Alfa Romeo chassis.
do you by any change have a picture
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 04:36 AM Thread Starter

Alfa Romeo 6C1750 GTC by Sala

I do not have any photos in the computer at this time but I can direct you to a few potential references. I can scan some of them later if it should become necessary.

I also have to admit that I have no personal knowledge of either of the two following cars.

AR6C101014883 has been labeled as "Stabilimenti Farina" as well as "Sala". A photo of this car appeared in a periodical of limited duration called Storia Illustrata dell'Auto Italiana dated 21.4.1962 on page 275. My notes indicate that "Continental Pictures" and "Sala" are mentioned. I believe I have this in my small library and will check when I next get to spend some time there. There is another photo (or perhaps the same photo as I'm not certain I checked this detail) in the Italian encyclopedia, Milleruote, Volume 5 (page 174). My notes indicate it is captioned "Stabilimenti Farina" here. I have listed this car in my files as "Stabilimenti Farina" in the past and have been corrected by one knowledgeable friend ... who is not infallible, so I really cannot be certain.

AR6C101014925 has not had any controversy so far as I am aware about the coachbuilder but once again I have no personal knowledge. A photo appears in Angela Cherrett's excellent book about the Alfa Romeo 6C1500-1750-1900 on page 99. A photo also appeared in Hemmings Motor News, September 1992 (page 6816) in an advertisement for the Kruse Auction held at Auburn, Indiana - September 6, 1992. Unfortunately, my father's collection of Hemmings was discarded when I was not looking so I do not have this reference ... unless it is copied into my files ... which I will check when I get to them.

One thing that may help determine the coachbuilder for these cars with some sense of certainty (?) is finding the coachbuilder number. It seems that both Stabilimenti Farina and Sala had their own numbering systems. I am not certain about Sala as I've found only one car (from 1909) that seemed to have what appeared to be a body number. Who knows what they were doing by 1932/1933? So, any study of this characteristic wil require inspecting a few cars to know for sure what we are looking at.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 05:29 AM

according to Carrozzeria Italiana is.
Carrozzeria Sala is in operation from 1905 to 1933. It was founded by Cesare Sala as" Carrozzeria Italiana &Cesare Sala". They are regisrtrated as have being building for Ansaldo-Fiat-Lancia-Alfa Romeo.
Carrozzeria distingue themselves primary by building Isotta Fraschini.
The most knowledge designer by Carrozzeria Sala is Olivieri Bergomi.
I am sorry in don't have any of the reff you mentioned. And if you school come around a picture of a Sala produced Alfa Romeo, I world certainly
appreciate to se it
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

6C101014925 offered 1992 at Kruse Auction

Here are two images. A reduced-size scan of the whole page from Hemmings and a full-sized (enlarged) scan of the photo and caption of 6C101014925.
Attached Images

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 05:29 AM

Interesting picture John. Thanks -.
Its the first picture i have seen, or evidence at all, of a carrozzeria Sala produced Alfa Romeo THANKS
The design has some resemblance to what we have seen later by the French.
The battery box resemblance Touring 8C LM cars
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iicarJohn View Post
Here are two images. A reduced-size scan of the whole page from Hemmings and a full-sized (enlarged) scan of the photo and caption of 6C101014925.
I presume this is the same car you saw when you were with Rob de la Rive Box in Switserland. This one comes from one of his books.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode