Gta Prices - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2003, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Gta Prices

Stu,
What do you think of GTA prices? They have been going crazy. I have been looking for a couple GTA's for some customer's latley and can't seem to find anything under $70K out here in the us. These are prices for cars without history. In Europe, good race cars can be picked up for about $40K-$50K. What do you think is the reason for such crazy prices out here? People wanting to run historic trans am and 2.5 challenge events?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2003, 08:50 AM

Hi Anthony,
First I must say I wish you were closer to This part of the world, I would like to meet you and use your shop for Alfa work. You seem to have Alfas down pat.

Now onto Alfa prices. I also see many Alfa prices going sky high and it reminds me very much of the great Ferrari Frenzy of the late 1980s. I think this maybe speculators who think that they can make a buck buying Alfas now and selling as the frenzy gains altitude. The more collectible cars are the first that are bought up. a safe assumption seems to be that compeition cars are the most collectible. Speculators always the strecth things and will try to sell all GTAs as "the race cars". Ferraris with comp names were sold as comp cars wether they had history or not. Interesting thing is most of that value did not scrub off. A Short Wheelbase 250 GT (the factory raced some of these) which was raced in its time, is worth a ton today. One that was not raced is worth 8 tenths of a ton. A 250 GT (non Short Wheelbase) coupe is ten percent of 8 tenths of a ton.
The frenzy raised the prices of almost all Ferraris. Many have come back down but not to pre craziness levels. The really bad part of the Ferrari frenzy is that the comp cars are no longer within reach of the guys like you and me - the true Alfisti or Tifosi and most of the people who now have the really cool Ferraris don't use them. There are exceptions re the use thing, it seems like you must own at least 5 rental strip malls to buy a comp Ferrari these days.
Hang on to 6C2500s, 1900s, Giuliettas, Giulia open cars, and of course any competition Alfa. If the craziness comes, it will be worth a lot more than selling it now. If you are not inclined to profiting from ths car, if you sell it now be ready to not be able to ever afford it again.
MrC
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 09:21 PM

I'm not sure why

someone would pay $70,000 for a GTA. Certainly I wouldn't, even if I had it....but than again, why would someone pay almost that much for a 356 VW (oops, I mean Porsche)?

I think it's whatever the market will bear, and compared to some of it' contemporaries, the GTA has been cheap.

Personally, if I were going to sepnd that kind of money, I would rather have a 1900...and you should be able to buy a really nice 1900 (except a Zagato) for that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 11:09 AM

Why not pick up a car in europe? Are there disadvantages? The price gap seems so big that you could probably use the money to fly over to europe, have the car tested on some famous track there, ship it over, fix up the car and still have money to spare.

For $70K I would not have anything less than a 1992 Alfa 155 GTA, IMHO the ultimate GTA.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 11:14 AM

evo,
Right now, the problem wiht Europe is the Euro. For a long time, there were a couple of GTA's for sale in Europe for 35-40k euro's, and 2 years ago, that meant $28-32k. Now that means $40-45k... I don't think these cars came with any history.

Not a good time to get much anything from Europe.

Eric
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2003, 12:45 PM

the problem is the value of the dollar

Circa 1985, the dollar was worth 10 French Francs (for example). Today it is worth about 5.5

The switch to the Euro and virtual elimination of national currencies has now stablized, but that makes the dollar worth about half of what it was at that time.

This, plus 15 years of inflation is what makes cars coming from Europe cost what they do today.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

GTA at auction

A couple months ago, a 1600 GTA with lots of race history, in need of full restoration sold in England at an auction for $28K plus commission. In the end the lucky new owner got the car for a total of $33K. Just goes to show the soft European market.

There is currently a stradalewith really low miles in Hemmings for $75K and it's in need of full restoration. I think that person might as well start restoring it and planning to keep it cuz nobody is gonna pay that much for the car. He'd proabably ask $150K if he restored it.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2003, 11:18 PM

GTA in Australia

Guys there is a GTA for sale in Australia for 125,000 AUD with a spare motor.

Hope this link works, anyway if it doesn't I am sure you can trace it from the

carpoint.ninemsn.com.au bit.

http://carpoint.ninemsn.com.au/marke...=1&chkRows=500

Cheers,

Phil

Phil
1961 MGA 1600 Roadster, British Racing Green
1966 Giulia Sprint GT ,Argento
1970 1750 GTV s2, Verde Olivo Metallica (AR213)
2005 Holden Rodeo LT Crew Cab, Fox Fire Red

{Oo==V==oO}

Previously owned
1983 Ford Laser KB, Beige
1985 Volvo 360 GLT Dark Mettalic Blue
1970 GT Junior stepnose Resprayed Red, Giallo Ochre
1923 Amilcar Sports, rusty
I may only own two ALFAs now, but the handle stays as I am always chasing another one.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2003, 11:31 PM

Theres 7 GTAs for sale at www.mobile.de at the moment. Ranging from 40K euro to 65K euro. Thats app. $46K to $75K - seems they arent that cheap in Europe anymore.

Jørgen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 1300GT Junior
1971 2000 Spider (racecar!)
1964 Vespa Gran Sport
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2003, 12:29 PM

That Aussie GTA shows as a RHD 1600 with an Angelini motor, which could easily be a USD$10-20k motor. They're asking USD$90k, which would be a pretty high water mark for this year's values. Without any evidence of history, it may be hard to get that figure, or a buttload of spare parts!

The one pic of the car is surely gorgeous.

Steve S.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode