3Likes
  • 1 Post By jeffreytkchan
  • 1 Post By brad fischer
  • 1 Post By jeffreytkchan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

My GTAm Restomod in Toronto

Hey Toronto Alfisti!

Just wanted to introduce myself to the other Alfa owners in the GTA.

Last year, I finished the restoration and modification of a '75 GT 1600 Junior. It now resembles a GTAm, so this is my homage to the iconic racing car, complete with riveted fender flares and 8x15 GTAm-style wheels. Under the hood is a 75 8v Twin Spark engine, churning out 180 hp. Pretty much everything on this car has been either rebuilt, restored or upgraded. I didn't build it as a race car but as a very capable fast road car. And it's far from original.

The car started life in the Netherlands, where it was restored & built, then exported to Canada. I was hoping to do a road trip around Europe but only ended up driving around England for three weeks last fall.

The body was completely media blasted to bare metal, and several panels were replaced. It was painted in Alfa Rosso 501. I assembled the car myself, and was completed in less than 10 months.

It has the Big Brake kit from Classic Alfa, as well as the Handling Kit, consisting of Koni Yellows. There's an Alfaholics fast road LSD in a 10/41 rear axle, plus the carbon drive shaft from Vintage Customs. The Twin Spark has 10.1 85mm pistons from Spruell, Carillo rods, fast road cams from Cat Cams, oversize 46mm intake valves, Jenvey throttle bodies and an ECU from Emerald.

The interior has been custom upholstered. I swapped out the 2000 GTV-style dash for a 1750 style flat dash without the centre console, trimmed in black leather with a black brushed aluminum veneer. Seats have been trimmed in 1750 Mk2 style upholstery. I added a Vintage Air A/C system, as well as electric power steering from EZ in the Netherlands (Alfaholics sources theirs from them). There is also a custom wiring harness with several relays. Gauges are also from SpeedHut.

There are several other little modifications in and around the car, that I'd love to share with all of you. It'd be great to meet the other Alfa 105 owners in & around the Toronto area at some point this summer.

Attached are some photos. There are many more images on my Instagram, www.instagram.com/jeffchan.alfa.gtam
Attached Images

deepblue likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 02:46 PM

Garage
Welcome back Jeff and nice job with the GTV Restomod! Look forward to seeing it in person some time. You should post this in the GT section to share with a wider audience.
jeffreytkchan likes this.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-club-canada-toronto-chapter/149533-alfa-parts-garage-sale.html

Last edited by brad fischer; 04-01-2019 at 02:55 PM. Reason: add info
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 03:06 PM

That looks amazing!

Hope to see you and the car around this summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks SuperTS. You have a Giulia Super with a Twin Spark? What are your specs?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 09:47 AM

Trying to keep it looking stock, including steel rims with hubcaps

The Twin Spark is on its original Motronic EFI.

Few things we had to change besides the Steck header where the 8 point distributor to fit the engine into Giulia, and aluminum flywheel my mechanic machined for it. For handling, Yellow Koni shocks and bigger brakes from a later Spider where installed.

The idea was to have a sleeper, which failed miserably the fist time I took it out for a ride. People where honking and giving thumbs up constantly. It's insane how much attention those ugly boxy cars generate

Your spec is a dream! Sometimes I get tired chasing vacuum leaks in stock setup, look at my M3 that has eight ITBs and think that it would do just fine with four

How do you like the carbon drive shaft?
Attached Images

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:34 AM

nice car jeffery, whats your car weigh?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

It weighs around 1000 kg, but both added and subtracted weight. Fibreglass trunk & hood plus lightweight battery & alternator, but added weight of A/C and power steering.
davbert likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

So pretty standard TS on Motronic then? Any engine upgrades or just the standard 148 hp? hahaha yeah I guess the term sleeper doesn't apply to classic cars regardless of its appearance. They'll always stand out!

I'm planning to install an electric vacuum booster at some point to rectify any vacuum problems with the ITBs. Brake assist is decent but it could be better.

I have the carbon fibre driveshaft but will be installing it this spring. I have some major vibration on overrun so this should fix that. My centre bearing support isn't mounted very well either. Original driveshaft probably isn't optimally balanced either. But the CF driveshaft should be smooth and release some driveline power losses. One less UJ, no donut or centre bearing support, and 1/3 lighter. Should be good! I have a friend in LA who's reported stellar results!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 11:32 AM

I am a big fan of reducing rotational mass. Had a carbon shaft in Mazda RX-8 (factory) and the way engine revs up and down is great. Would be great to see how it works out for you.

My engine is stock if you don't count the cone air filter and VTEC Started it last week after sitting for 4 month and it worked like a clock.

The car is still on a 1300 rear gear, so it is quite peppy for city driving.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

I've got a 7.5 lbs aluminum flywheel from Spruell. It's fantastic how quickly it revs! With the carbon driveshaft, the response should be even more impressive.

Yeah mine started up without issue after sitting for 3.5 months.

Are you open to doing any modifications to the Twin Spark?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreytkchan View Post
Are you open to doing any modifications to the Twin Spark?
Potentially yes! That cone filter and bulky intake plenum gets on my nerves when I open the hood.

Realistically, I just got it roadworthy after few years of slowly working on it and would like to just enjoy driving it for a while.

Do you feed the tachometer from the computer?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

My ECU does send a signal to my tach. I have custom gauges from SpeedHut, which look very close to original. Speedo is GPS.

A nice set of ITBs look way better than the bulky OE plenum. Swap it out for a Weber-type intake manifold plus some Jenveys. Port the head, get some cams, valves and pistons. ;-) Alfaholics SS exhaust is a nice finishing touch. VROOM VROOM!

Whereabouts are you in TO? I'll have to bring the Alfa by and show you the TS set up I have.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 06:29 PM

Very cool project for those who are curious on all these nouveau retro parts. Thanks for sharing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode