Spider steering wheel removal - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

Spider steering wheel removal

I'm trying to get the steering wheel off my 84 Spider (Woodrim with the horn buttons in the spokes) using a standard steering wheel puller as shown in the shop manual. Problem is that it won't budge and I don't want to risk busting something by applying excessive force. Have I overlooked something? Any suggestions? Penetrating oil perhaps? By the look of things, I don't think it has ever been off and there are no signs of previous brutality.

Len Desfos
84 Spider Veloce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 10:45 AM

Garage
what kind of puller are you using, one like the style below? If you've loosened the center nut (not completely removed to protect threads), I think it should come right off...takes quite a bit of force though. I guess soaking in penetrating oil for a day does not hurt. I know sometimes folks use a mallet in tandem with the puller to help it come off
Attached Images

Peter

Currently: '65 Giulia TI

Previously:
'76 Alfasud Ti/'75 GT Junior/'87 Alfa 33
'91 Alfa 75/'95 Alfa 164/'79 Alfa Spider '69 Euro 1750 GTV, '67 Duetto, '84 Spider Veloce
'91 164L
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 07:02 AM

Sorry in advance

But you did bend the lock tab out of the way and remove the nut?
After that the puller should work. It does take a good pull.
For some reason the car companies don't what steering wheels to come off in your hands.
Some kind of penetrating fluid is a good idea.
The shaft is steel and the wheel aluminium I think?
May be some corrosion in there. When you do get it off put a little anti seize on.

By the way yours may differ from my 69 Spider so I may not have a clue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="2"]David Munro[/SIZE]
Toronto ON Canada
1969 Spider JR Twin Spark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 10:37 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I once had one that was stuck. There are three rectangular holes in the steering wheel hub for the tabs on the plastic center piece. I ground the feet of the 3 jaw puller puller that is part of my slide hammer so that they would fit into the rectangular holes. I then used the slide hammer to remove the steering wheel. At first it did not want to move, but it popped off after I applied a little heat from a propane torch.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, It finally came off by giving a few sharp taps with a hammer on the shaft of the puller. (The puller I was using is the same as shown by Peter). I was suprised to find that the steering wheel is secured to the steering column by a key instead of splines.

Len Desfos
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 06:52 PM
Gold Subscriber

Still can't remove my wheel

I have tried to remove mine too. Glad I as wearing safety glasses. One then two rivets that hold the wheel onto its hub popped out and shot like bullets. I finally pried at the last one and separated the wheel to get it out of my way. I used a steering wheel puller, a smoke wrench and finally resorted to an angle grinder to cut most of the flat part of the hub away so I can get at the side and cut it down to the shaft. By far, the hardest steering wheel I have ever replaced. I almost don't think this old girl deserves my Ferrari's old Nardi. I had to take a break and post here looking for ideas.
Attached Images

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 07:39 PM
Gold Subscriber

Yep. Tapped, PB blasted, heated, hub pulled and now angle grinder. Not done yet. Reminds me of the lug nuts, Had to remove them using the floor jack handle as a breaker bar. Considering removing the shaft from the car and bench-breaking this thing. Original wheel a total loss. Seems like she's haunted. Makes me want to put a 308 Gtsi engine in it. Or a turbo Honda V-Tec. I was going to replace the broken tail light, get started on replacing the L-Jet wiring harness that mysteriously melted one F/I wire as well as putting the passenger seat back in. It's a steering wheel, not a harmonic balancer Luigi.
Attached Images

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 05:36 PM
Gold Subscriber

More steering wheel fun

I must be missing something here. I took some pics. As you can see I have used force, heat, grinding, and a proper puller then the grade 5 "Threaded rod" shot out when it failed. Do I really have to remove the whole column and machine the stock hub off of it to put a different steering wheel on this?
Attached Images

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 01:10 AM
Gold Subscriber

Did it right and got a harmonic balancer puller, hardened steel center bolt, grade 8's through the hub holes I drilled, two nuts and a 20 volt impact gun. Was going to put tension on it and leave over night with the nut on it and a towel and work it some more in the morning. Alas, a fresh battery in the gun and some time sitting with PB blaster penetrating oil and it popped off. Will post picks tomorrow. Then put in the Nardi. Whew! What a PITA. They ensure the hub is almost unremovable but attach the steering wheel to it with some cheap rivets that separate with little provocation leaving you with a wheel in your hand and a hub still attached. Definitely putting anti-seize on the Nardi hub install.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 04:10 AM
Gold Subscriber

Finally got the shaft cleaned up and inspected for cracks, replaced the hub and put the new old Nardi and a spare
Ferrari horn button. Was able to fit the replacement tail light and repaint power rear view mirrors supplied courtesy of fellow member Douglas who has a similar spider he's parting out.!
Attached Images

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 04:11 AM
Gold Subscriber

Finally got the shaft cleaned up and inspected for cracks, replaced the hub and put the new old Nardi and a spare
Ferrari horn button. Was able to fit the replacement tail light and repaint power rear view mirrors supplied courtesy of fellow member Douglas who has a similar spider he's parting out.!
Attached Images

Last edited by Nigel Dax; 11-27-2015 at 04:14 AM.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 02:58 PM

Trying to remove mine! What a PITA! I have sprayed PB Blaster to try to loosen it. Tried Hair dryer Puller. Mine is an 86. Would be easier to give birth at this point!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode