74 Spider FS in SoCal, 76k mi, 3rd owner, 27k in upgrades! - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

74 Spider FS in SoCal, 76k mi, 3rd owner, 27k in upgrades!

I am selling one of my Alfa's, this one is a gem with only 76k orig miles. It's a white 74 Spider I purchased about 3 years ago from the 2nd owner. Documentation from new and maintenance/upgrade receipts are included with the car. Prior to my purchase, the car recently had many upgrades installed including completely rebuilt engine, SPICA pump (Wes Ingram), Ward and Dean suspension, and so much more. I'm now in the midst of a Duetto project so unfortunately this gem needs a new owner. The car is currently listed on ebay as item number 290222245824. Below is the entire text from the ebay posting, let me know if you have any questions.

76,000 ORIGINAL miles, rust-free, third owner with documentation and maintenance records from new! 1974 is the last year for what many consider the “classic” and desirable Alfa Romeo’s, with the unobtrusive stainless steel bumpers, lower ride height, lower weight, etc. (modified in 1975 to meet US government regulations). This Spider Veloce was purchased new in 1975 as a retirement gift, and yes, the green serpent on the hood was in place when delivered new to the original owner. The car was purchased by the second owner in 1998, who lived in Newport Beach, CA, and the car had about 35,000 miles at the time, which service records verify. The second owner spent approximately $27,000 on upgrading the car, and receipts for the work are included! The list of new parts and upgrades is extensive, including:

The engine was completely rebuilt, high compression pistons and performance cams were installed, the SPICA fuel injection pump was rebuilt by Wes Ingram, and other mechanical items were either replaced or refurbished. The car has substantially more power than stock (especially above 3500 rpm), yet is perfectly drivable for daily use. Suspension components were upgraded to high performance standards (Ward & Dean) including springs, adjustable Bilstein gas shocks, etc. Even a removable roll bar and Simpson racing belts were installed!

I then purchased the car from the second owner in early 2005 when it had about 72,000 miles. In my ownership she has been carefully maintained at Alfa Performance Connection, owned by Stewart Sandeman, who is also technical editor for post-war Alfa’s for the Alfa Romeo Owner’s Club (the second owner also had work performed at this facility). I have put relatively few miles on the car, mostly going to events such as the Concorso Italiano in Monterey, CA, as well as other Alfa club and Italian car outings. Now it’s time for the car to find a new owner as I have another Alfa in the restoration process. The car is ready to be driven anywhere!

This car will absolutely scream when you punch the throttle, so hang on! The transmission works like it should and does not grind in any gears, and the clutch operates as it should. It goes around corners with virtually no lean as if it were on rails, and even more importantly the brakes work perfectly and will stop you on a dime. The alignment is perfect with the car tracking straight down the road like it should. The Yokohama AVS tires have good tread remaining, and the original aluminum Alfa Turbina-style wheels were powder coated for durability.

Both bumpers are in great condition, all stainless and chrome trim is in great shape too. Carello headlight covers are also installed and are showing a bit of age, but they will clean up with some plastic polish. The headlights have also been replaced with Halogen H4’s. The vinyl top is in fair condition, with some of the inside lining showing wear and 1-inch tear in the outer lining on the driver’s side, but it remains watertight. The rear plastic window is nice and clear and the top fits well and is watertight. Interior is in excellent shape, but there are two small cracks from the base of the windshield to the heater vents, which you’ll never notice while you are driving. The seats are like new and the rubber mats look great and show virtually no wear, although there are some spots that have split and are therefore taped up from behind. All gauges, lights and accessories work, even the map light embedded in the rearview mirror works! The original Alfa wooden steering wheel looks great, as does a wooden gear shift knob.

No corrosion of any significance can be found on the car, and that would include areas such as the floor boards, spare tire compartment, rockers and all jacking points, they are totally solid. Notice the photo of the trunk and the spare tire compartment and how rust-free the area is; and yes there is a spare, trunk mat, jack and tool kit included, I had to remove them to take that picture. The paint and exterior look great, but upon closer inspection you will notice rock chips on the leading edge of the nose area, and other small blemishes here and there as one would anticipate from a car that gets driven. The belly pan area under the front bumper does show some scars from road debris and so forth, but unless you are on the ground looking under the front of the car, you would never notice. Also, when I purchased the car the 2nd owner told me that it still was wearing its original paint!

Please view the pictures carefully and if you have further questions or would like additional pictures be sure to ask before you bid. I’ve owned many Alfa’s over the years and am in the midst of restoring another, so unfortunately it’s time for this wonderful Spider to find a new home with another Alfa fanatic. Bid with confidence!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 07:40 PM

Norm Bianchi's old car...one of the best 74's in So. Cal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode